What's new

Tabac question

Helo, I am relatively new to wet shaving with a DE razor. I am really wanting to try some new soaps. Seems like Tabacs get alot of good reviews. One question I have is how strong is the scent. I quit wearing cologne years ago because it gave me headaches. I can handle subtle warm scents but the really flowerly stuff is just too much for me. How would you describe Tabac shave soap. Thanks

Tabac to me is a hard to describe scent kind of like flowery but at same time a classic barber shop scent but at same time one that took a little getting used to, it is definitely mild and after rinsing at end of shave I believe it is totally faded.

Tabac has a flowery opening note that fades quickly. It's really noticable on the cologne and aftershave; less so with the soap, but it's still there. It's a great shaving soap, but you might want to avoid it if you really can't handle flowered scents.

Don

Hello thanks for the replies. I do enjoy the smelling the scents of all the soaps. I just cant handle a long lingering scent. After I rinse I would like at most a very subtle scent if anything.

In my opinion the soap doesn't have a long lingering scent but the aftershave does. It really smells like pipe tobacco, kind of sweet. When I first started to use it, one of my colleagues asked me if I had taken up smoking :) I hate cigarettes and don't smoke anything else but I still remember the smell of my grandfathers pipe :biggrin:

If you use only the soap (and ignore the cologne and aftershave products) then the scent wont last very long at all. As others have said, its kinda floral, but at the same

Base Notes said:
Top Notes
Pepper, Petitgrain, Citrus, Neroli .

Middle Notes
Lavender, Camomie, Geranium, Oak Moss .

Base Notes
Carnation, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Moschus, Ambergris.

+1. It rinses away with the lather. I want it to stick around a little longer so I bought the cologne. Great stuff, the soap and the cologne. It's all about the shave and you'll be hard pressed to find a soap that does it better than Tabac.

Steve

The scent doesn't linger, it's gone after the shave.

You just need to get it. If you don't like it, then I'm sure someone here would buy it from you. But I cannot imagine not liking it. :biggrin:

For me, the scent is gone my the time I walk out the door.

This is interesting, as I had read that the scent lingered for a bit, post use. I have been reluctant to try Tabac for this reason. What about the scent of the soap in the Tabac bowl - is it going to upset those who share the bathroom? Some of the folks at home are sensitive to what might be perceived as "old guy" smell.

- tim

What about the scent of the soap in the Tabac bowl - is it going to upset those who share the bathroom?

I can't imagine that it does. I don't smell the soap at all unless I'm shaving with it or stick my nose in the tub.

Powdery, leather smell. No noticable scent in the bathroom; bowl comes w/ lid at any rate. Great stuff. Buy it.

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Oh I love TABAC........................... can't describe the scent...... I just know I enjoy it....One of the BEST if not THE BEST item I have come across since I started this "hobby" close to 2 years ago....

I really dislike the scent of Tabac. It's not flowery... but I doubt you'll like it if you don't like flowery. Weird, huh?

Scent is not strong at all. does not linger after you
rinse off scent leaves fast after that. Makes a great lather and if you
use after shave or splash you wont smell anything
after that.

I was put off by the scent at first, but I somehow love it now. whether you like the scent or not, the lather it makes is second to none.

Top Bottom