What's new

Synthetic Travel Brush Recommendations?

Any recommendations on a good, low cost, synthetic travel brush? I am interested in synthetic so that dampness wont be an issue. Something small that I can stick in a dopp kit. Price: <$30.

AP Shave Company's tuxedo or Synbad. Just as affordable as Yaqi too. I have a 22mm SynBad as my travel brush (but also have a Simpson Wee Scot that I love as well, but that's not a synthetic).

Maggard Synthetic (22x54mm)
Yaqi Sagrada Familia (24x53mm)
I was going to say the Sagrada Familia too. The handle is pretty small, which works out well for space purposes (it is smaller than I was expecting when I ordered it though). Their Moka Pot brush would probably be a good option too.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Any recommendations on a good, low cost, synthetic travel brush? I am interested in synthetic so that dampness wont be an issue. Something small that I can stick in a dopp kit. Price: <$30.
Good question, you should also make sure you protect the brush in your Dopp bag so it works well when you get to your destination. I used a large pill bottle and drilled the top lid and a few drilled holes in the bottom will work well.
travel kit (2).jpg

This my shave kit I used on a trip to Mexico years ago. Synthetic is a good choice IMO.
Have some great shaves!

Good question, you should also make sure you protect the brush in your Dopp bag so it works well when you get to your destination. I used a large pill bottle and drilled the top lid and a few drilled holes in the bottom will work well.
View attachment 1057949
This my shave kit I used on a trip to Mexico years ago. Synthetic is a good choice IMO.
Have some great shaves!
Good tip on the pill box, keep everything dry. That looks like a really good and small brush. Which brush is it?

Sounds like Yaqi is the clear winner here. Will also check out the others Synbad, lil brudder and others as well. Thank you for all the great responses.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I use a Simpson Duke 1 best if flying and a Chubby 2 synth when driving. How about the new Simpson Trafalgar T1 Synthetic? It is 23mm x 42mm and only £15 on the Simpson web site. The reviews I have read are favourable.

I bought a Maggard 18mm Timberwolf, Travel-Size for my dopp kit because it's tiny and has a synthetic knot (which seems to be a rare combo for some reason). It's about the same size as an Omega 11047 Mixed Midget (~75mm tall) which is a fairly common travel brush.

Best of all is that the Travel-Size Timberwolf lathers like a champ!

Here are some photos to illustrate how small it is...

Fits in your palm:

proxy.php

Compared to a normal-sized brush (Yaqi 26mm Tuxedo):

proxy.php

These brushes look awesome! Each time I read one post and think, that's the one to get, you guys throw others that are intriguing. I may have to buy more than one.
While I don't have a travel brush, my full size synthetics are Plisson and Plissoft brushes. A Fendrihan Black and White, and Razorock Big Bruce. Clearly, both way too big for dopp kit. I never tried a tuxedo, so maybe I'll go that way? Not sure, reviews on all the brushes are excellent.

Last edited:
AP Shave Company's tuxedo or Synbad. Just as affordable as Yaqi too. I have a 22mm SynBad as my travel brush (but also have a Simpson Wee Scot that I love as well, but that's not a synthetic).

I second this; my understanding is that APShaveCo uses Yaqi knots but I don't know the name conversion. I like big brushes, so I would go for a 24-30 mm synthetic for travel (as synthetics don't bloom). APShaveCo's faux marble handle is surprisingly nice. I think Yaqi's Mew Brown is the SynBad knot, so a Moka would be another option (I would check this before acting on it, however, as I am not certain).

Top Bottom