What's new

Synthetic for bowl lathering?

Hey guys,

first time posting here. I'm just about the purchase a custom made handle I've always wanted.
I wanted to invest in the perfect knot for it, but sadly I know nothing about the variety and options for the synthetic knots and usage.

I'll be happy if you could offer me what I am looking, and if you know anything specific it will be ever better!

Thanks!

It’s really hard to choose something bad these days if you’re buying from a major online retailer like WCS, IB, Maggards, or some such. The quality of synths currently is fairly outstanding in most cases.

Hey guys,

first time posting here. I'm just about the purchase a custom made handle I've always wanted.
I wanted to invest in the perfect knot for it, but sadly I know nothing about the variety and options for the synthetic knots and usage.

I'll be happy if you could offer me what I am looking, and if you know anything specific it will be ever better!

Thanks!
It would be better if you could supply what diameter of knot the new handle will accept to make a better and more informed suggestion...

Oh btw, welcome to B&B...

It would be better if you could supply what diameter of knot the new handle will accept to make a better and more informed suggestion...

Oh btw, welcome to B&B...
Thanks! The diameter of the knot should be 26mm.
Do knots comes with the right glue when you buy them? or you should add it from somewhere else?
Lastly, do brushes like razorock sells the knots itself? should I buy and remove the knot? is that something people do?

Thanks for all the answer! right now the synbad/2bnd looks really great and I'm really thinking about them.

Most synthetic knots nowadays are fairly good, it's more a question of what size and how firm you want the brush to be. One knot that I like a lot is the PAA Roswell Grey, shown here on the far left with the Starcraft brush. The knot is available in 24mm or 26mm and is under $10.

paa-brushes-3.jpeg

Thanks! The diameter of the knot should be 26mm.
Do knots comes with the right glue when you buy them? or you should add it from somewhere else?
Lastly, do brushes like razorock sells the knots itself? should I buy and remove the knot? is that something people do?

Thanks for all the answer! right now the synbad/2bnd looks really great and I'm really thinking about them.
Now we're getting somewhere... I'm not sure if Italian Barber sells just the knots. I wouldn't buy something that is set up already and remove the knot as that is sometimes very difficult to do. Your best bet would be APShaveCo, TurnNShave, or Maggards for knots or you can send your handle to someone like Rudy Vey or Milton @TurnNShave and they can set the knot for you.

I personally would go with Milton @TurnNShave but I'm a little bias towards him as I have purchased 3 knots from him in the past and set them in custom handles I purchased from someone else like you did. I found early on what I liked in a knot and what I preferred the loft to be, did my research and set up my own brushes and have been very happy with what I've done.

You will need to pick up some epoxy to set the knots in your handles if you so choose to do that. You might also want to pick up some silicone to do a test setting depending on what you want just incase what you originally set up is not to your liking and can be pulled apart relatively easily and re-set with epoxy for permanent placement...

My first synthetic was a 22 mm $6 from China. It bowl & face lathers like a demon. I have other spendier brushes. None are appreciable better than that cheap synthetic.

Where you pay more is for fancy handles and larger knots.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
The g4 is probably the most perfect synthetic knot. @Rudy Vey might have some left and can also set it in a handle. DIY is possible it looked easy to me. Epoxy or silicone but I’ve never taken the plunge. I have three empty handles. Maybe the person who is making your custom handle can set a knot? Welcome to B&B and let us know about your custom handle and good luck with the finished project.

Top Bottom