What's new

Synthetic Brushes

How does the Ubersoft2 24mm brush compare with the Plisson RazoRock brushes? I like a custom handle that uses this style synthetic, and have no experience with synthetics. I want to try a synthetic as my next brush so I need someone with good experience to comment on the differences. Thanks.

I only have one synthetic brush- a Plissoft Original. That's what I call it anyways. It's excellent, and quickly became one of my favourites. I like everything about it, from the knot size to the shape of the handle. At some point I'll maybe get another style handle, but for now I'm good with the Original.

Ive got a Muhle Silvertip Fibre and its great. Very soft, whips up great lather. All in all, a great brush. It was pricey though, I think I paid about $75 for it.
You could get a nice Omega or Razorock for about $10 that would probably work just as well.

+1000 for the Razorock. I have the Bruce and its larger brother, the Big Bruce. Both have, in my opinion, great backbone and really lather up very well. At the price point, I think they are tremendous value. Compared to the Muhle Silvetip, Plisson and Simpsons synthetic brushes that I have they are a steal.

The Plissoft is good to start with, but the Mühle and the Chubby Synths are way better but also way more expensive.

I purchased a couple RR Plissofts about this time last year and they are great brushes. 4-5 months ago I was piffed a couple Plissofts that had been purchased this Spring and the quality had noticeably slipped. Some fibers were in upside down and poked like the dickens. I didn't even pif those brushes, they are now used for other hobbies not related to contacting my face.

I have 2 shaves into a new Simpson Chubby 2 synthetic. Quality is excellent and the tips...well....the tips are just amazing.

I would start cheap if you've never bought a synthetic before. Try the Razorock or Maggard offerings. :thumbup1:

If you want to start really cheap get one of these (smaller) cheap Chinese synthetics: Mine cost (with Shipping) all of $4.19 or so. I have been using it about every other day now and have grown to really like it. It doesn't hold as much soap as my RazoRock Monster Synthetic but works pretty darn good. I'm convinced that the synthetic hairs are the same between the two brushes. This is the perfect "starter" synthetic brush to try out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Synthetic-B...82684e3&pid=100623&rk=3&rkt=6&sd=322267522442

Last edited:
I purchased a couple RR Plissofts about this time last year and they are great brushes. 4-5 months ago I was piffed a couple Plissofts that had been purchased this Spring and the quality had noticeably slipped. Some fibers were in upside down and poked like the dickens. I didn't even pif those brushes, they are now used for other hobbies not related to contacting my face.

I have 2 shaves into a new Simpson Chubby 2 synthetic. Quality is excellent and the tips...well....the tips are just amazing.
There's a few hairs yes, I just cut them out carefully and then the brush is super soft. Talking like 5 max. They mass produced in China its to be expected. Only $10 brush.
my plissoft I got a year ago has different knot softness then my two 26mm and 34mm. I dont know if current 24mm are . Maybe they switched manufacturers.

There's a few hairs yes, I just cut them out carefully and then the brush is super soft. Talking like 5 max. They mass produced in China its to be expected. Only $10 brush.
my plissoft I got a year ago has different knot softness then my two 26mm and 34mm. I dont know if current 24mm are . Maybe they switched manufacturers.

I've also noticed the upside down hairs in my synthetic brushes. My Maggard, Whipped Dog, Amack Sunrise, and Tuxedo knots all had some. The brushes are definitely less pokey and softer after I plucked them.

Another vote for the Tuxedo Knot (Etsy, APShaveCo).
Here's a 3rd vote. I bought mine already set into a refurb handle by the vendor (Andrew Palombo, I think?).

I looked at it with a 10X magnifier, and saw that the tapered tips are bent over like a field hockey stick, for the last millimeter or so. That must have a lot to do with the softness.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really enjoy my Synthetic knots from Maggards I set in a half dozen or so handles. I'm looking to pick up a couple Tuxedos and try them out.

Top Bottom