What's new

Sweet Marias

I have been in contact with this company and they ship to the uk. the best value is to max out an 18lb shipping box.

I am looking for info on maybe what to get for Christmas [i know it won't arrive in time but hey] green beans wise.

I like my Kenyan Gethumbwini an awful lot. Plenty of blackcurrant. Just as an idea of the sort of coffee I am into.

Anything and everything is considered

I know there are a few SM customers on here so I thought it may be best to ask advice before jumping in

Richie,

Tom and Maria and their staff really know their stuff.

You could shoot them an email and ask for recommendations, too. They'd be happy to make some suggestions.

I didn't know how receptive they would be to some bumbling brit steaming in and asking for recommendations but I shall compose something tomorrow after I get back from lots of blood tests [eek]

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I know Scotto has a lot of experience with them. I'd wait for him to chime in.

I live just up the road (more or less) from Sweet Maria's and have met Tom and several of their staff. They're all very nice and very happy to be of help.

I haven't had a chance to homeroast lately, but it's another one of my little passions. Having them so nearby, though, has an impact on my wallet. Much like this passion. :smile:

I know Scotto has a lot of experience with them. I'd wait for him to chime in.

I agree with Ouch. But in the meantime I would consider these.

Ethiopia Organic Wet-Process Kebado. New and i have not tried it but looks interesting and will be included on my next order.
Ethiopia Organic DP Idido Misty Valley.
Mexico Organic Chiapas Proish Coop. I always like a Chiapas because it has a good simple coffee taste.
Costa Rica La Candelilla Tarrazu "Miel".
Colombia Huila Concurso San Pedro. I have not tried this but I like Colombian coffees and it will be on my next order.

There you go, a selection from several regions. I have not tried any of their blends but Scotto will probably be able to help you out more.

My ideal situation would be if a member here could put me a sampler together and I will pay price plus shipping. But I guess that is a long shot.

I am a sucker for wanting to try before I buy in bulk it is ingrained into me!

My ideal situation would be if a member here could put me a sampler together and I will pay price plus shipping. But I guess that is a long shot.

I am a sucker for wanting to try before I buy in bulk it is ingrained into me!

Unfortunately, I can not help you there. I have a bunch of different green's right now. However, I bought them over a month ago and most of them are already sold out. I usually end up buying several different two pound samples from them and if I really like something I will go back and buy more of it. Tom has some very detailed descriptions you could just read some of them and then take the plunge.

I'm in the habit of ordering the "double eight sampler" and really enjoy the variety. If you don't go that direction I really recommend some Chiapas or Ethiopia Dry Process Limu. The Limu really is kick @$$!!
Have fun and enjoy.
Ken.

A very generous board member has helped me out. Thanks for all the responses chaps and thanks Jonathan!

All the coffees are extremely high quality at SMs; just don't attach too much significance to the rating numbers. Also remember that Tom is a huge fan of acidic coffees; you may or not like that style.

This is really the year of dry-processed Ethiopian coffees. There have been more exceptional coffees in this style than any year I can remember. Idido Misty Valley is not to be missed.

The Kenya selections are always superb as well; just be sure to read the descriptions since some of them can be tooth-peelingly sharp.

I have a huge spreadsheet of coffees I have tried from there; if you want specifics on a coffee, just drop me a note.

Idido Misty Valley is not to be missed.

I agree. It was one of my favorites last year so I ordered 20 pounds this year. I was not disappointed as the stuff is wonderful this year too. Those new to roasting should be aware that this dry processed bean should be roasted in a smaller batch than normal because there is lots more chaff than with a wet processed bean.

Top Bottom