What's new

Swedish Gillette Source

This Web site has an aversion to outside sources, but there are other shaving sites where one can get educational info that isn't available here.

So why did you become a member here? Actually the site is so good some people come back using different login even after getting banned, like for example....well i am sure you know who i am talking about. I guess some people are like a gum stuck to the sole of your shoe.

How this easy thead can go so wrong:confused: Didnt we already have the debate on the Swedes. Cost per shave and quality of blade? I commend John-LetterK for showing the (probably 2 lowest) places to get them on the web. If I were to order the swedes again...I would go through him b/c of his service, cheap shipping, etc. I guess if I would buy 1000 I might look elsewhere but thank god they dont agree with my face. It likes a blade thats under .15:001_smile. And for you unspeakable site crooners....drop the subject b/c I learned the hard way:wink:

This Web site has an aversion to outside sources, but there are other shaving sites where one can get educational info that isn't available here.

I have not tried the 7 O'Clock labeled Gillette's and so I won't speak to them based simply on what I've read others say about them and how they compare to the Swede G's.

One thing any experienced or even semi-experienced DE shaver will tell you is that some blades work great for one person and not so great for another.

There's also variations among blade performance in different razors. For *me*.......the Swede G in a Merkur Futur is the best combo I have found and like you, I've tried a lot of blades and blade/razor combo's.

I recently gave a pack of Swede's to a Derby-loving friend thinking it would be an easy conversion since I don't care for the Derby blades.......he preferred the Derby Extras.

I believe, however, that the OP was about the Swede G's and not the 7 O'Clock blades.

I read your links, but haven't seen anything that concludes that they are the *same* blade.

I'm more than happy/open-minded enough to give the 7 O'Clocks a try, but wouldn't think of offering up an opinion until I've actually tried them.......and even then my opinion will be just that.......*my* opinion and based solely on what works for me.

Having said all of that, I believe the OP's question has been answered and based on my experience I would recommend that he give the Swede G's a try. Since they are definitely at the high-end price wise.....let's all hope he finds his own personal shaving Nirvana in a less expensive blade.

I just bought 200 from Auravita. They come in outers of 10 x 5. Delivery is free in the UK on orders over £45, so ordering 200 makes sense and they come out at about 28p per blade - by far the cheapest source.

If you're outside the EU they're even cheaper - you can deduct VAT at 15% off the quoted price of £1.42 per 5-pack - but there is shipping to be added, obviously.

One thing I've learned is that the up-front expense of these blades is more than offset by their longevity. I easily get twice as many shaves from one of these versus my next best blade. Factor that in, and they're not the expensive proposition they appear to be.

I'm stocking up now, as the sudden disappearance of these blades from UK high street shelves (ie John Lewis) has giving me a sudden attack of availability anxiety...

I'm stocking up now, as the sudden disappearance of these blades from UK high street shelves (ie John Lewis) has giving me a sudden attack of availability anxiety...

Still very much available around here - in fact my pharmacist showed me his stock when I was in buying a pack to send to someone.... conservatively he had enough to shave everyone in town daily for 3 months.

Still very much available around here - in fact my pharmacist showed me his stock when I was in buying a pack to send to someone.... conservatively he had enough to shave everyone in town daily for 3 months.

I think the disappearance from John Lewis probably says more about the vendor and their sales volume/strategy, than lack of availability from the factory.

Cheers.

J

I think the disappearance from John Lewis probably says more about the vendor and their sales volume/strategy, than lack of availability from the factory.

I agree - especially that razor blades (as opposed to cartridges) are now considered to be in the same vein as axes, meat cleavers and carving knives - to be held securely and not sold to under 18s.

I don't suppose it has a lot to do with the volume argument - JLP (John Lewis Partnership) sell some pretty slow moving items on the whole, razor blades probably amongst them - whenever I asked in JLP, the non-availability was always blamed on "supply chain issues" - holding inventory of razor blades is not going to be bank breaking compared to holding stock of flat screen TV sets (which invariably JLP do) either...

A combination of low sales and stupid government restrictions is probably the cause, not supply chain, still I don't use them myself but can lay my hands on hundreds 6-days-a-week :biggrin:

£4.49 a pack?!?! :eek: ¡Ay caramba! :eek::eek::eek:

That is what they go for in stores here, but stock seems to be drying out so very few shops still have them.

I buy my blades online, but have a few of the Swedes left that I usually bring while traveling since they just work well and the holder has an easy place to store the used blades.

Sverre

The "Swedes" are made in Poland, in Lodz for the Western European market - seen it with my own eyes. The other "Super Platinums" that you see are made in St. Petersburg & Shanghai for the rest of the world.

proxy.php

Made in Poland

proxy.php

Made in St. Petersburg & Shanghai

Is it possible that the Gillette Bleue Extra were also made in Poland, before being moved to Russia?
Originally these were made in Annecy France until the production facility closed in 1990/1991. Trying to figure out where it was moved to prior to Russia,

Top Bottom