What's new

Superspeed build quality

Hi guys I was wondering if there is a difference in quality between the different superspeed types. I'm looking for a nice 40's or 70's model.

there is a difference in how they are put together, as in how the TTO is connected to the handle

Some have a "O-Ring" and some have a reversed screw attaching the TTO.

A lot of the 40's super speeds have plating issues, in odd places like the bottom of the head plate and have survived with matte finishes. Makes me think the plating wasn't very well done to begin with.
The 70's black handle super speeds squeak when opened and rattle when shaken.
I think super speeds really hit their stride in the flair tip models of the 50's and 60's. Solid feeling, mildy aggressive shavers and easy to find nice examples of, bright and shiny with plating intact.

A lot of the 40's super speeds have plating issues, in odd places like the bottom of the head plate and have survived with matte finishes. Makes me think the plating wasn't very well done to begin with.
The 70's black handle super speeds squeak when opened and rattle when shaken.
I think super speeds really hit their stride in the flair tip models of the 50's and 60's. Solid feeling, mildy aggressive shavers and easy to find nice examples of, bright and shiny with plating intact.

+1. 40's are smooth shavers but many have plating issues. 70's Super Speeds are squeaky and don't feel as solid as it's older brothers, 50's and 60's Super Speeds.

That's a shame, I like the design of the flare tips the least of 'em all. I think the black handles look really cool, shame that they are the least well built.
Does anybody know if the Rockets suffer from the same plating issues? Since I live in Europe there is maybe a bigger chance of picking one of those up instead of a superspeed.

The only difference I find is with the British made Rockets which are essentially the same thing.
Yes, they have a slightly different mechanism, but the head is the same shape.

The build quality of the British razors is far above other Gillettes IMO.
The Toggle is the only one that comes close for a USA made razor.

But I'm biased a little because I'm a big Toggle fan.

Okay so the ebay search for a nice Rocket goes on. I hope to find one soon, I cannot wait to try one of these babies.

The earliest Super Speed razors built just after WWII were produced in a hurry to meet market demand that had been stifled by wartime product shortages. By the late '40s to early '50s, production quality was improved. The 1940's style SS is well-regarded as the best of the bunch performance wise. They may not shine pretty, but the shave great! The first flare-tip (1950's style) was also a great razor, but the mid-decade examples also suffered from some plating issues, especially under the base plate.

The redesign for the 1960's model gave the razor its infamous "rattle", and many feel this was not the best performing of the family. Yet, this seems to have been the best of them in terms of lasting cosmetics and shine. The 1970's style black-handle version got lighter and went through some head redesigns, but has still proven itself to be a great shaver.

Individual examples of good and bad "build quality" can be found in all four SS styles. Find the one that shaves the best for you, and if it is cosmetically challenged, it can always be replated. While not produced as a disposable item, it certainly was not envisioned that these beauties would survive half a century or more!

I have a '78 SS which I bought a few months ago as NOS. I have no older SS to compare but my '62 Slim is in another league in terms of build and plating quality.

Nice shaver though.

I have a '78 SS which I bought a few months ago as NOS. I have no older SS to compare but my '62 Slim is in another league in terms of build and plating quality.

Nice shaver though.

Exactly what I was saying about the early '60s plating - they still look nice after all these years!

The late 40's style superspeeds are very well made, and will give you a very smooth shave. I guess it really comes down to what you are looking for in a razor though. I bought one for only $10.00, and it cleaned up nicely into a usable daily shaver.

That's a shame, I like the design of the flare tips the least of 'em all. I think the black handles look really cool, shame that they are the least well built.
Does anybody know if the Rockets suffer from the same plating issues? Since I live in Europe there is maybe a bigger chance of picking one of those up instead of a superspeed.

Let's not get carried away here, every Super Speed ever made is of very high quality, you won't go wrong with any of them.
Sure, the ones made DURING AND IMMEDIATELY AFTER THE SECOND WORLD WAR have some slight cosmetic blemishes 60 TO 70 YEARS LATER, and the ones made 40 YEARS AGO have a little rattle in them, but is that really enough to question their overall quality considering they've been in daily usage the whole time?

Most of my late build SS razors rattle... until I close the TTO, then they hold the blade as tightly as the early ones. Plating is a bit dull on some of my 40's versions... but I don't have a single one where the plating is peeling off. I have never had any of them fall apart on me, even the 70's versions when subjected to ultrasonic cleaning while the TTO is open. None of them feel cheaply made, and even the ones that rattle up a storm perform beyond rebuke when you pop a blade in them.
You want a good quality built Gillette Superspeed? Pick it out by it's looks.

Ok guys, thanks very much!
Now I know here is a difference between the different superspeeds and rockets, but also that they are all good performers. So nothing to worry about then.

I'll keep my eyes on ebay and look for a niice, clean decent example. Still can't make my mind up which I should pick though. Kinda like the style of a 40's SS or Rocket but a SS from my birth year (1979 Z-4) with a black handle is also very appealing. Mmm, so many choices. I feel a RAD coming up :)

I just went and counted: I have 9 Super Speeds that span the production run, plus two razors with SS heads (Slim Twist and Knack). Each one is a great shaver, even the 40s one that was so bent when I got it that it wouldn't close at all.

It's funny, I had never noticed any rattle on ANY of them when closed, but after playing around with the ones I have it seems the rattle is the little retention ring on newer (60s and forward) SS models. The 50s and prior with the reverse nut are all rattle-free.

Top Bottom