What's new

Tangled Up in Blue

I just got a bottle of Noodlers Bay State Blue - it lives up to the hype but yes, it stains everything - even my stainless steel kitchen sink!!! But what a great color! I have about a dozen pens inked including with about 4 with other blue inks, Noodler’s Liberty Elysium, Quink Blue Black, Visconti Blue and Noodler’s Electric Eel Blue. I did a comparison and the BSB is a real standout! I put it in a large Hero pen fitted with a Noodler’s flex nib and the shading with the line variation with the BSB is impressive.

I tried a new ink today that may be worth a look. Colorverse KSLV-II is a great dark blue, not quite blue/black, ink. It flows well and has a little bit of pop. The major downside is the cost. $30.00 for a 65ml plus a 15ml of a grayish ink named 75t Rocket Engine.

Last edited:
Akkerman Shocking Blue is good to consider if you like sheen. It has a red tint in the light. Plus the bottle design is top notch...

I can't say I've noticed a reddish tint to it, but it is the richest, best looking dark blue I've tried. And the unique bottle is a plus, also. Unfortunately, it's not remotely water resistant. And although I don't always know when I'm writing whether I'll want it to last or not, I tend to avoid inks that run at the first sign of trouble.

There are other blues that I'd put in that pretty but impermanent category, Pilot Iroshizuku Asa-Gao comes to mind. I do prefer blue as my go to color, but the ones I use most are plain old Pilot Blue and Blue-Black.

My experience with De Atramentis Document Blue is shorter, but it's a nice rich color, and I expect I'll keep on using it.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Diamine Prussian Blue - nice gray-blue. It was too pale in the Esterbrook fine nib, but spot on perfect with the Esterbrook medium nib. The Esty 9668 is ordinary a gusher, but the Prussian Blue is nicely controlled in it.

Platinum Blue-Black - oh wow! I like this one a lot. I got it in cartridges mainly to have carts handy for my 3776. But it’s so good, it’d be worth having a bottle of it too. The color is more navy than blue-black, but it’s nice. Zero feathering and very minimal show-through, even with the 3776 broad nib. Awesome for daily use. Plus, it shades nicely on Rhodia and Clarefontaine paper. It is an iron gall ink, so I probably wouldn’t use it with a steel nib, but it’s perfect for the 3776 (go figure).

Skrip blue was my old go-to. I prefer blue, but use black due to longevity issues. For a relatively short time, a signature in blue ink was required by some to show it wasn't photocopied. Haven't heard that since color photocopiers became more common.

I had a sample of Organics Studio Blue Crab, which I think is excellent, its the darker blue on this swatch. The same company makes a Hunter Green, very similar to MB Racing Green, but becomes very bright and lively with some added water.

Attachments

• Swatch_Crab_1000x.png
    Swatch_Crab_1000x.png
    720.1 KB · Views: 7
  • green.jpg
    green.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 5

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I have a bottle of Pilot's Iroshizuku Shin-kai (deep sea) and quite like it. It's a nice stormy looking grey-blue shade.
X2
This is my go to ink & color
This brand never gunks up my pen either. Frequently i ink up an forget to use it over time the ink evaporates. All i have to do is fill it back up and good to go.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Platinum Blue-Black - oh wow! I like this one a lot. I got it in cartridges mainly to have carts handy for my 3776. But it’s so good, it’d be worth having a bottle of it too. The color is more navy than blue-black, but it’s nice. Zero feathering and very minimal show-through, even with the 3776 broad nib. Awesome for daily use. Plus, it shades nicely on Rhodia and Clarefontaine paper. It is an iron gall ink, so I probably wouldn’t use it with a steel nib, but it’s perfect for the 3776 (go figure).

I'd forgotten how good this ink is, thanks for the reminder. I use it with steel nibs, no corrosion issues yet.
full

X2
This is my go to ink & color
This brand never gunks up my pen either. Frequently i ink up an forget to use it over time the ink evaporates. All i have to do is fill it back up and good to go.

Same experience and I shall reconfirm soon. I emptied the pen I had it in and forgot to refill or clean it for a few days, and then was away for 10 days. See what happens if I just try to fill it this afternoon...

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Same experience and I shall reconfirm soon. I emptied the pen I had it in and forgot to refill or clean it for a few days, and then was away for 10 days. See what happens if I just try to fill it this afternoon...
i filled my favorite fc last week. Used it one day. Picked it up today and it worked luke a charm
I wonder what all the fuss is about cleaning the pen is lol
Maybe it enables my laziness

Yes! Diamine Blue Velvet is on my short list to sample. That's another one I see listed a lot as a Parker Penman Sapphire replacement. I read it takes a long time to dry. Do you have any trouble with it?
Hey John, did you ever end up trying this ink? Thinking I may need to pick up a sample. I’m curious as to your thoughts on it. Also, if you did how’s it compare to Asa-gao? I see that is one of your favorites 👍 I have a feeling one of these will end up being a whole bottle purchase. I have a sample of the Asa-gao, I see what you mean about how you feel like your yelling when you write with it lol. It is very bright/vibrant ink!

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Hey John, did you ever end up trying this ink? Thinking I may need to pick up a sample. I’m curious as to your thoughts on it. Also, if you did how’s it compare to Asa-gao? I see that is one of your favorites 👍 I have a feeling one of these will end up being a whole bottle purchase. I have a sample of the Asa-gao, I see what you mean about how you feel like your yelling when you write with it lol. It is very bright/vibrant ink!
Oh no, I haven't. Has it been three years? Geez! I'm still working through the inks I already have and haven't felt the need for more yet.

Glad you like Asa Gao! The Iro inks really are fantastic and the bottles are works of art.

Oh no, I haven't. Has it been three years? Geez! I'm still working through the inks I already have and haven't felt the need for more yet.

Glad you like Asa Gao! The Iro inks really are fantastic and the bottles are works of art.
Gotcha! I ordered a sample of the Blue Velvet and the Visconti Blue, and a few others based on recommendations.

The Asa Gao is great, super vivid and interesting ink. I will more than likely end up getting a full bottle of it.

I appreciate your response! Have a great rest of your day sir! 🤙

Anything from the Pilot Iroshizuku line is excellent! But their standard blue is also quite nice as an everyday ink. Problem however for most work environments, the paper sucks!

Top Bottom