What's new

Suggestions on Buying straight razors

"Highly respected"? lol Perhaps for their potential. I kind of think of them more like a canvas we (some of us, not me) can paint on. Anything from just making them sharp to making them beautiful, and everything in between. I have shaved with both ends of the spectrum. As long as the edge is good, the shave can be great.

"Highly respected"? lol Perhaps for their potential. I kind of think of them more like a canvas we (some of us, not me) can paint on. Anything from just making them sharp to making them beautiful, and everything in between. I have shaved with both ends of the spectrum. As long as the edge is good, the shave can be great.

Yes. I guess that is a way of putting it. But I meant as shavers, once you get them shaving. Obviously no one will be in awe over a $5 razor. There are definitely much more beautiful razors out there. But for the price, the beauty is that there is no huge loss if you screw one up. I think for a "sample" budget razor, they have earned respect. Though QA is lacking in the factory, once some one has done the hard work, they are great for what they are. A tool to do a job. Don't get me wrong, I love a beautiful razor as much as anyone else, but for a beginner, I think the goal should be to find something cheap that gets the job done well so you can decide if straights are for you. Why spend big bucks only to find out straight razor shaving doesn't suit you. That's where they have my respect. If you like it, that's when you spend big bucks
Just my $.02

Last edited:
I would reccomend Titan razors. Made of Japanese steel but manufactured in china. You can buy them direclty from the factory on Aliexpress where you will find them at their cheapest. Otherwise they can retail for about £40 on eBay. I would reccomend plastic scales as the one complaint i hear is the the scales are a bit heavy. I own a Titan myself and as far as this noob knows they give a decent shave.

I must say that his web page is taking a bit of time for me to figure out. So I am sorry and not intended to insult any of you kind men. The list as I went back to it, does not have Gold Dollar listed , so again, I apologies to all. I guess for some reason I am attracted to Filamonica Novodur 13 , the 14 seems to be a bit on the large size. Also like the LeGrelot. What I am using now is a new Ralf Aust 5/8. And believe me I have a way to go before I can call myself an experienced straight razor shaver. Any guidance would be very appreciated. H

So you're looking for additional straight razors. You already have some. In that case, no reason to try a Gold Dollar, you already know you like straight razor shaving. If you're not comfortable honing your own yet, why not go to whipped dog and ask Larry to keep an eye out for you. Unless any of these fellows on here are willing to part with a filly. I am partial to 1870s and earlier Sheffields (mostly), but if you go the vintage route, you will have to be prepared to learn to hone your own razors from scratch. I love that aspect of taking a patina-covered, forgotten old piece of history and bringing it to life again. If you go new, check out the vendors in the marketplace.

Top Bottom