What's new

Suggestions on a cigar lighter?

sorry but I hate and will never use lighters for cigars again.. Hemp wicks work great. Also if you have the patience for it and its during the day I like to use a magnifying glass, you know like when you were a little kid and burned ants. Works great and its fun

No matter how much you pay for them, torch lighters are trouble-prone. So if you must own a torch, get one with a lifetime warranty (Xikar has this, among others).

My favorite lighter right now, for both cigars and pipes, is the soft flame Corona Old Boy. Sturdy, reliable, good fuel capacity, and classy. They come in a variety of colors.

+1 I'm also extremely happy with the purchase of an Old boy lighter.

Be sure you get a torch lighter. Which ever brand you use, use that brand of lighter fluid. I have a ronson that I got for 5 bucks and works great, but you can only use ronson fluid in it or it will clog up and I have the same problem with the zippo torches. If I keep the fluids matched with the lighters, I dont have any problems. Both are good in the wind and I get good lights on my cigars. My best advice is to find a lighter you like in your price range and and pair it with the same brand of fluid. I have also heard great things about Xikar, though I have not had personal experience with it.

I would actually get triple or quadruple refined fuels rather than using the match the brands dealy. Ronson butane is useless...

For better or for worse, I have been smoking cigars and pipes for 40 years now and here is my take on lighting them:

The most reliable and least expensive lighter is a Zippo. It is wind resistant and easy to refill. The downside is that the fumes from standard lighter fluid do not do anything to enhance the aroma or flavor of what you are smoking.

Standard Butane lighters pretty much eliminate the unpleasant fumes, but do not work very well in a windy situation. They are fairly reliable but do need attention once in a while.

Blazer type lighters work great for a short while, but then quickly become finicky and unreliable in damp or cold weather. I have relegated these type of lighters to indoor use as they have disappointed me many a time in the great outdoors.

Matches always work, are cheap and readily available, but as we all know they do not work well outdoors. These work best in stick form, and even better if you can get them in the "strike anywhere" type. When I come across a place to get those, I usually buy a case, since they are not available where I live.

So .........what to use?? My standard "carry" lighter is a Dunhill "old-style" gold lighter that has a double "cigar lighting" flame. It is not the Blazer type so it is less wind resistant, however it will get the job done without the unpleasant fumes, and I pull it out when my friends Blazer lighter craps out - which is very often. The one thing I ALWAYS carry is a book of matches, because no matter what brand or type of lighter you carry, eventually it will either run out of fluid or flint, or just not work for whatever reason. I can tell you guys that I have wound up using good old matches many times over the years, and if you are planning to light something, always carry a book of them as a back-up.

Happy smoking!

Regards,
D/E Bob

Top Bottom