What's new

Suggestions for a live trap.

For DP(dog proof) live "hand traps", get the Sterling Grizz, or the Coon Dagger trap.

You will have to seriously restrain one with a catch pole to get it out of the trap alive without getting bitten. Usually, raccoons are dispatched after being caught in DP traps.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Well. As my lovely War Department and I were walking to the coop just as the sun was heading to bed, we saw a woodchuck run into the the open door of the pen. We had the door open for them to scavenge for their grub today. I hurried to the coop and found he had dug a hole under the coop! It was not there this AM, and he also had to dig under the fencing that we had buried when we constructed it.

I told you I need a reality show! This thing was not coming out, I figured. I just so happened to have my tiny Ruger LCR in .357 strapped on, with what I thought were .38's in it.

My wife ran in the hen house and started jumping up and down on the floor. I stood outside of the pen and had my little gun pointed at the hole. He came out and just stuck his head out, so I waited. He stopped again with his butt still in the hole. I lined up my shot. Bang! No, it was the blasted .357 load! And me nearly deaf with no ear protection! My good ear, my left one actually hurt!

But to paraphrase Uncle Ted Nugent, "that's a small price to pay for killing a varmint!"

I'll post a picture if it's allowed. No blood. Straight through his neck, looked like I severed his spine at the base of his neck.

I then set my new "live trap" from Ztrap. It's a very interesting concept. 14"x14"x34" I believe it is.

FarmerTan

This morning a critter destroyed my old trap, and stole the bait out of the new one.

Tonight we reset the new one, and must have done a better job of anchoring it.

I just got back in after checking the trap. Too late to do anything right now. I'll let him be until tomorrow.
IMG_20200621_010526175~2.jpg

Speaking as a tanuki, I should be more sympathetic. But I know coons, and I’m not. Just don’t catch a skunk in that device. Or let one get in a fight with your cat under the house.

Happened to me, many long years ago. True story, a story that went on for weeks. The gal pal taught school. She grabbed her clothes and wasn’t seen for at least a month.

I invested in a .22, but never got revenge.

FarmerTan

Speaking as a tanuki, I should be more sympathetic. But I know coons, and I’m not. Just don’t catch a skunk in that device. Or let one get in a fight with your cat under the house.

Happened to me, many long years ago. True story, a story that went on for weeks. The gal pal taught school. She grabbed her clothes and wasn’t seen for at least a month.

I invested in a .22, but never got revenge.
Oy. I've been lucky this year, but caught two skunks last year. Used a .22 rifle that makes even me look like a good shot. But they do release the ole sphincter when they go to their sweet smelling reward!