What's new

Suggestions for a live trap.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I find Tomahawk Traps to be better quality than the current Havaheart Traps. If you are looking to eliminate the issue, a conibear style trap in a cubby set would be the choice. Check YouTube and your local regulations to be sure.

Tom

Conibears work very well, but the problem I have is the reason I don't even put out leg hold traps here. Even though I live 20 miles out of town, and the nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile away, there are local pets that come roaming around from time to time. Not to mention my outside pets. I can't make sure I get my target pest critter unless I use a .22. Caught many of my own cats in my live traps trying to catch amadillos.

Conibears work very well, but the problem I have is the reason I don't even put out leg hold traps here. Even though I live 20 miles out of town, and the nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile away, there are local pets that come roaming around from time to time. Not to mention my outside pets. I can't make sure I get my target pest critter unless I use a .22. Caught many of my own cats in my live traps trying to catch amadillos.

Yep, when trapping you need to know what is the most appropriate method and the local rules. Live and leg/foot hold traps are ideal when there is a risk of non target species. Where I am located a license is required for lethal nuisance trapping.

Edit: I have several Havaheart traps over the years. My newer editions are not the same quality as the older editions. The Tomahawk are better quality for commercial use. Either are perfectablely acceptable for most use.

Tom

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I will have to tell you about the (hopefully) last encounter with the raccoon.

Kinda busy now, but honestly, after this one, I've almost got the War Department in agreement on us starting a reality TV show.

And if I play my cards right, I could be the President of the U.S. of A. in 2026!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Yep, when trapping you need to know what is the most appropriate method and the local rules. Live and leg/foot hold traps are ideal when there is a risk of non target species. Where I am located a license is required for lethal nuisance trapping.

Tom

Huh? Here if they are even fur bearers you can shoot or trap them if they are a threat to property or livestock...you just can't sell the fur. Know your local regulations.

No truer words were ever spoken about using the most appropriate methods, and I have a feeling that a leg hold trap, even 'possum sized offset jaws one, would break the leg of one of my cats...not to mention the local dogs that come for a visit every once in a while.

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I will have to tell you about the (hopefully) last encounter with the raccoon.

Kinda busy now, but honestly, after this one, I've almost got the War Department in agreement on us starting a reality TV show.

And if I play my cards right, I could be the President of the U.S. of A. in 2026!

Where's the popcorn.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
It started with a cell phone call from her in the chicken coop, and me in my boxers in the bedroom at about 1045pm.

Hilarity ensues!

There durn well better be pictures. :)

Your chickens have cell phones?

My cell phone is charging now...haven't used it in a few months. Try trackin' me on it, sucker.

Huh? Here if they are even fur bearers you can shoot or trap them if they are a threat to property or livestock...you just can't sell the fur. Know your local regulations.

No truer words were ever spoken about using the most appropriate methods, and I have a feeling that a leg hold trap, even 'possum sized offset jaws one, would break the leg of one of my cats...not to mention the local dogs that come for a visit every once in a while.

Here in NY, among other regulations..., furbearers in season require a trapping license and any nuisance issues require a Nuisance license from the state outside of the trapping season. Relocation of nuisance wildlife is illegal so folks might need to hire a licensed pest control company... The key in trapping is to know what the the non target species are and to use the most appropriate device that will not harm non target species. If cats are in the area, live traps are the appropriate tool.

Tom

Last edited:
For raccoons I recommend dynamite. Can't wait to hear your story.

We had a rat problem once. My wife bought a cruelty-free live trap. Well, we caught the damn rat all right. Then we both scratched out heads, saying, "What now?" The two pound rat was staring at us with its beady red eyes suggesting it was going to kill us both and eat us. I put the trap in the back of the pickup, handling it with long barbecue tongs. We drove to a golf course and my wife said, "Okay, now let it go." I put the tailgate down and pushed the trap to the edge. I unlocked the door, then lifted the gate with the end of a hoe, me at the far end of the hoe. The rat leaped five feet to the drainage ditch and was gone in a flash. Whew!

After that we bought the cruelest devices we could find, and the most certainly fatal.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

We had a rat problem once. My wife bought a cruelty-free live trap. Well, we caught the damn rat all right. Then we both scratched out heads, saying, "What now?" The two pound rat was staring at us with its beady red eyes suggesting it was going to kill us both and eat us. I put the trap in the back of the pickup, handling it with long barbecue tongs. We drove to a golf course and my wife said, "Okay, now let it go." I put the tailgate down and pushed the trap to the edge. I unlocked the door, then lifted the gate with the end of a hoe, me at the far end of the hoe. The rat leaped five feet to the drainage ditch and was gone in a flash. Whew!

After that we bought the cruelest devices we could find, and the most certainly fatal.

That's scarier than opening your bathroom door and finding a mountain lion in there.

I guess if you lived in certain parts of a big city the rats wouldn't bother you.

FarmerTan

Lol. I should probably finish the first story, but like my brain, this story is kinda scattered!

Got home about 1030pm Michigan time tonight from a small church group.

I volunteered to walk out to the chicken coop with my lovely War Department to inspect her troops.

She went about gathering her eggs whilst I shined my phone flashlight outside. She hollered so I went in the coop. She had 3 young 'coons in there sitting frozen on the roost, right next to the rooster! I decided to go outside and wait by the door with my Ruger LCR .22....

The plan was for her to chase them out. They decided to stay put. When I looked around I found a fourth raccoon hanging out snuggled up to a support beam in one of the runs!

Couldn't get a clean shot, and I've NEVER liked shooting those Disney character fuzzy critters. To be continued....

Ad Astra

The Instigator

Shoulda poured some Veg on it ...would have jumped 25 feet!

full

AA

FarmerTan

My brother tells a story of a buddy of his that had a rat in the wall of his house. He'd wake up and the rat trap was sprung, and no rat!

So he set up his video recorder (VCR). My brother is the baby of the family, and he can tell a story like a pro, so I doubt that a little thing like the truth would bother him, lol. But he said the guy watched the tape, and so did my brother. Said the rat was huge. Came down on his head, he just shook it off, acted like it did a push up and got out from the trap!

I'd be moving if that happened to me, I ain't lying!

FarmerTan

I think the War Department has allocated funds for a "Ztrap"..... Looks tough. That freak of nature I caught last year weighed 20 lbs and tore my last crappy trap apart from the inside.

Reminded me of the Hulk. No way in Hades was that thing coming out of the live trap alive.

FarmerTan

Never did finish either of my two raccoon reality show stories. I know that only @Mempho wanted to hear it, but here goes. I had just gotten down to my boxers and ready to crawl into bed. My cell phone rings, and it's the War Department, and she sounds mad. Grab your gun she sez, there's a raccoon in here!

So I waste a precious 10 seconds wondering if I should take my LCR 22 with 8 shots or my wonder gun, my Smith and Wesson model 63 kit gun with 6 shots. I figured I don't wanna reload, and I'd be close, so I took the snubbie.

I get out there, and she is really steamed. No big deal, as she is mostly German; she's always mad about something.

She's got this giant flashlight shining on this coon on the roof of the chicken coop! I should have mentioned, yes, I did throw on some jeans! It was close to 11pm, but I was raised right, lol.

I took out my phone flashlight, and I had a clear shot at the critter right between his eyes. Now this is where a lesser man would tell you he got him with one shot.

Not me, I tell the ugly truth at least 90% of the time! I think I may have parted his hair. He just stood up and looked down on me! Weighed about 10 pounds I figured. So I went bang again and he disappeared! My wife stepped back enough to shine the light on the roof and said she saw him twitching. So I figured I got him. We spent five minutes out there getting eaten alive by skeeters, and he NEVER moved. I was bragging and patting myself on the back, figured we could come out the next morning and get the carcass off the roof.

Nope! It was gone! My lovely War Department laughed, posted on Facebook, the whole nine yards.

My theory is that I hit him SOMEWHERE, and he crawled off and met his maker, or a coyote.

Yesterday when we were planting the garden, we could smell a dead animal smell coming from the woods. Even my lovely wife had to admit that there is at least a 50/50 chance that I got him, cuz he ain't been back!

The 4 visitors from Disney I'll tell you about another time. Strangest thing I've seen in my chicken coop in a while!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Never did finish either of my two raccoon reality show stories. I know that only @Mempho wanted to hear it, but here goes. I had just gotten down to my boxers and ready to crawl into bed. My cell phone rings, and it's the War Department, and she sounds mad. Grab your gun she sez, there's a raccoon in here!

So I waste a precious 10 seconds wondering if I should take my LCR 22 with 8 shots or my wonder gun, my Smith and Wesson model 63 kit gun with 6 shots. I figured I don't wanna reload, and I'd be close, so I took the snubbie.

I get out there, and she is really steamed. No big deal, as she is mostly German; she's always mad about something.

She's got this giant flashlight shining on this coon on the roof of the chicken coop! I should have mentioned, yes, I did throw on some jeans! It was close to 11pm, but I was raised right, lol.

I took out my phone flashlight, and I had a clear shot at the critter right between his eyes. Now this is where a lesser man would tell you he got him with one shot.

Not me, I tell the ugly truth at least 90% of the time! I think I may have parted his hair. He just stood up and looked down on me! Weighed about 10 pounds I figured. So I went bang again and he disappeared! My wife stepped back enough to shine the light on the roof and said she saw him twitching. So I figured I got him. We spent five minutes out there getting eaten alive by skeeters, and he NEVER moved. I was bragging and patting myself on the back, figured we could come out the next morning and get the carcass off the roof.

Nope! It was gone! My lovely War Department laughed, posted on Facebook, the whole nine yards.

My theory is that I hit him SOMEWHERE, and he crawled off and met his maker, or a coyote.

Yesterday when we were planting the garden, we could smell a dead animal smell coming from the woods. Even my lovely wife had to admit that there is at least a 50/50 chance that I got him, cuz he ain't been back!

The 4 visitors from Disney I'll tell you about another time. Strangest thing I've seen in my chicken coop in a while!

At least you got the chicken raider. Now you need to go on to the next one.

I'm about resigned to the fact that this one is living with me...but I don't have anything that it would raid. If it does...I have the nuclear option. Don't mess with her.

1592360189845.png

Heavy duty? Look no further than the Tomahawk Professional series (model 108SS). [emoji1360]