What's new

Sudsy Soapery Jack Frost

I was one of the lucky ones to get in on the one cent deal. I have used the soap for the last few days and wanted to give my review and impressions.

Scent: Fresh pine and menthol. Orange is very subtle.
Slickness: Excellent. I face lather and it is very slick. On par with Aos cream, Truefitt and Hill.

Overall, a really great product.

I haven't used my jar yet, but I would describe it as the scent of clay and spices, with a good dose of pine. It's similar to White Sage and Lime, so I am assuming that Sudsy Soapery's soaps all have a distinctive base scent.

I got the soap, as well, and used it for the first time today. The smell is amazing. Fir/pines needles with a hint of orange and bit of spiciness. It lathered up very quickly (a fairly soft soap). I started up in a scuttle and then face lathered-- for about 10 seconds. I had to wash it off my face due to the burning that ensued. Not a lot, but enough to be uncomfortable. I have to think that it was the menthol and my skin doesn't agree with it. It's unfortunate since otherwise a very nice soap.

My wife liked it so much that she used it as a face wash and she really liked it for that as well. Very moisturizing.

I broke with the January theme to try it this morning. Scent for me is meh; I get a nutmeg-earthy scent. Nothing I would go out of my way for.

Performance however is quite good; slick, better protection than the WSP Formula T I used yesterday, nice post-shave feel. Love the menthol level in this one too.

Between Sudsy Soapery and my other "new" soap, WSP Formula T, I find Sudsy Soapery to have better performance.

I just had a Sunday morning shave with it.

The performance is exceptional! In particular, the post shave is amazing. My skin feels very natural. Despite all of the butters, there is no greasy residue, or anything like that. I just wish it had less menthol. This soap is a bit too chilly for me.

Scentwise, I get lots of orange and spice. Some have said that the orange is subtle, but I find that the pine is subtle, and the orange is very upfront. It's a great scent, and it's really growing on me.

I received my Jack Frost in Friday's mail and lathered it last night. Definite strong pine scent with a very slight citrus after-scent. Over it all was a heavy menthol scent. When I first opened the jar to sniff it, it was like sniffing a jar of Vicks Vapor Rub. Lathering went very well. It did not take much to build a rich lather and I had to constantly add water to get it to the right consistency. When I lathered my face, there was an initial stinging feeling, but the shave went extremely well. the soap lubricated well and shaved off easily with each pass. The stinging feeling, though not uncomfortable, did last for about a half hour. My face felt a little too refreshed, but smooth and comfortable. I will probably stash this soap to pull out in summer when the temps get real high. Right now, having gone through a week of below freezing weather and significant wind chill factor, I did not need a shave soap (no matter how good) to cool me down more.

I don't think this will go on my short list of soaps to get once I run out, but was a great deal for something costing me less than $5 with shipping.

Was there some inconsistency in the batches? I get a lot of orange and not much pine. Also, zero indication of the menthol, until I'm feeling it on my face.

I shaved with Jake Frost today and loved it. latherd like crazy, slick. I thought it felt great on the face. Great shave! I will buy again

Was there some inconsistency in the batches? I get a lot of orange and not much pine, Also, zero indication of the menthol, until I'm feeling it on my face.

Or is it YMMV? I don't know. I'm really getting the orange with the pine and spices in the background. This surprised me because the soap has a light green tint to it, but it's the orange smell, not the piney one that seems dominant to me.

I too was lucky enough to get this on the one cent sale. I see that was noted as "first batch" and they are currently out but will soon have available the "second batch". So that says to me that all the penny sale soaps were of one "first" batch. I've used it three times now and find to a great performer, as the above have stated. It lathers super quick, is slick, and I didn't have a single nick or even a weeper in any of my 3-pass shaves. The menthol was there in good strength. I also was impressed with the great post shave feeling. Really top-notch, especially for a non-tallow soap.

I was left with a question as to whether "batch 1" was on the 1 cent sale for a reason. After my second use I thought I'd try to level the surface of the soap by scraping the higher edges of the soap toward the middle and smoothing the whole surface flat. To my surprise, not only were the edges quite soft, but my finger poked through the soap in the middle and out oozed really creamy soap. It was kind of like breaking the crust of a pot pie and having the sauce flow out. Anyway, I kind of blended it all together and used it today after leaving the top off overnight. The "soap" was still very soft and creamy today and when I used it, I only swirled the brush for half the time and still had plenty of soap for 3+ passes. Reading comments of Sudsy Soapery soaps, I was expecting a softer, croap-type product, but I wonder if this is even a bit creamier than usual and that's what prompted the sale? At any rate, I found this an excellent soap and certainly wouldn't hesitate buying more at full-price.

I got it as well but haven't used yet. But out of the tub it smells great!

Holy crap! What changed... I finally used the Sudsy Soapery Jack Frost today and HATED the smell!!! I wonder what I thought smelled so great over a month ago. Granted I haven't opened it since the day I received it and it's first use today. But I was NOT a fan. The lather was typical "Sudsy Soapery" I have the White Sage and Lime and love that scent. But the Jack Frost was no good.

Last edited:
Holy crap! What changed... I finally used the Sudsy Soapery Jack Frost today and HATED the smell!!! I wonder what I thought smelled so great over a month ago. Granted I haven't opened it since the day I received it and it's first use today. But I was NOT a fan. The lather was typical Sudsy Soapery, I have the White Sage and Lime and love that scent. But the Jack Frost was no good.

What does it smell like? Perhaps it went rancid? Mine still smells great.

I got one on the 1 cent sale too. I have used it about 8 times now. Still love it. Performance is fantastic. Smell is pretty good too.

Top Bottom