What's new

Suck, Perk, Drip, Squash?

I mostly do French press, drip (Cuisinart) for convenience, Gaggia espresso on occasion, and Greek/Turkish I'm experimenting with.

I got a Rancilio MD-40 grinder several years ago (YAY Ebay!) and it does a great job for any of these!

Too late....
For $300 a machine had better make me a cup 'O joe that rocks my socks !
............just pulled the trigger on the Bialetti Moka Pot from Sweet Marias.
HEY !
I needed some green beans any way :)

It IS the best drip machine out there, and I'd buy one again in an instant if it ever broke. Although, the build quality is superb so I doubt I'll have any problems for many, many years.

Moka pot (actually, Bialetti Brikka) or french press. I have a larger moka "standard" pot, but I think I may have screwed up the seal.

Moka pot (actually, Bialetti Brikka) or french press. I have a larger moka "standard" pot, but I think I may have screwed up the seal.

That's easily fixed if its just the gasket - should only cost $10 or so for a new one and you'll be back in business.

That's easily fixed if its just the gasket - should only cost $10 or so for a new one and you'll be back in business.

Yup ... I just need to order the replacement kit from Bialettishop. I'm going to give it one more try just to make sure the issue (seeping from the junction between the boil pot and upper chamber) wasn't something I was doing wrong.

I once put my Brikka on the stove and it didn't make coffee for a LONG time. I guess you need water to make it, but how the heck do I remember that if I haven't had my coffee yet? :w00t:

Yup ... I just need to order the replacement kit from Bialettishop. I'm going to give it one more try just to make sure the issue (seeping from the junction between the boil pot and upper chamber) wasn't something I was doing wrong.

I once put my Brikka on the stove and it didn't make coffee for a LONG time. I guess you need water to make it, but how the heck do I remember that if I haven't had my coffee yet? :w00t:

:lol::lol::lol:

I'd bet its the gasket, the only thing to try is not packing the coffee in too tight/not using too fine a grind.

(I'd order the gasket if I were you...)

:lol::lol::lol:

I'd bet its the gasket, the only thing to try is not packing the coffee in too tight/not using too fine a grind.

(I'd order the gasket if I were you...)

For the Brikka I had to order the kit, they send two sets. For the other one, I'll probably order anyway. The other issue is if grounds get in the threads or on the top lip of the boil pot.

I french press occasionally. When I have time, I manually pour over. On days with early class, I let the automatic drip do its thing.

I've noticed that the auto drip ruins the taste of all my good coffee. I buy pre-ground Dunkin' Donoughts for that. I use better pre-roasted coffee in pour over or french press. I buy from various internet sources (I've gotten pretty big into free trade coffee Ethopia)

My usual morning routine:

M-Th: Technivorm
F: Espresso
Sat: Vac pot
Sun: Espresso or vac pot

It is hard to beat the Technivorm for convenience and quality, though I love my vacuum pots on the weekend. Each will bring out different notes in the coffee, and I will often tailor which brew method I use depending on which coffee I am drinking and its roast level.

Hmmm. Might the Moka be reasonably described as a 'stovetop percolator'?

Hmm...with a moka pot, the coffee is created by forcing the water through the beans with pressure (from boiling water). With a vacuum pot, the water is forced into the brewing vessel via pressure (from boiling water), but once there, it's open to atmosphere. The percolator is actually probably closer to the vacuum pot (but no way near as good), and the moka closer to espresso extraction. Actually, an even closer resemblance is the aeropress (pressure created by your hand), which again is sorta/kinda like espresso.

In order of quality of cup:

Syphon/vacuum pot
French Press
Aeropress
Technivorm

In order of frequency:

Technivorm
Syphon/vacuum pot
French press
Aeropress

The Chemex is next on the list to acquire. Followed closely by the full espresso setup, with dedicated grinder.

After more thought, I think I'm changing my first list (quality of cup) to:

Syphon/vacuum pot
French Press
Technivorm
Aeropress

almost exclusively press for me, unless we have large gathering of friends or family over, then the drip
wife likes the convenience of the senseo system, and doesn't appreciate the awesomeness of pressed, freshly ground beans...maybe she'll come around (I didn't appreciate it at first either), if not there's always the B/S/T....:biggrin:

Top Bottom