What's new

styptic and alum question.

I like using aftershave splash.

if my face is bleeding, do I use the styptic before or after my aftershave?

I don't have any alum, but I'm dying to try it. would I use alum before or after the aftershave splash?:confused: :confused1

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I don't use aftershave splash, but use aftershave balm lotion. I have applied styptic pencil both before and after the balm ... the idea if applying before is to have a long enough pause in between for the styptic to do it's work & stop the bleeding, as the balm/splash may wash it off.

If applying after the balm/splash, then the trick is to apply only to the specific area needed, as styptic applied over a large area tends to leave a white poweder.

Generally, I find that styptic after balm works best, as there is little risk of re-opening the cuts.

Great question! I have been wondering this as well. However, my order of My Nik is Sealed arrived yesterday, and this has helped me come to a decision.

I do a hot rinse and then a cold rinse and then I use the alum (then leave it on while I clean things up). Then one last rinse and dry. Follow this with my aftershave (balm or splash, depends on my mood, plans for the day, weather, etc) and then MNIS. I can do it last because it doesn't leave a residue.

I'm also finding that this order is helpful in another way. Sometimes my bleeders have stopped on their own by the time I get done (typically as a result of the cold water rinse, I believe). This saves me the trouble of a styptic/MNIC step.

Matt

I follow exactly the procedure as described by TheNovice, including the use of My Nik Is Sealed. As he, I prefer MNIS because it leaves no residue (unlike a styptic pencil).

More at the link below.

I'll have to find this styptic replacement. Fortunately the cold water rinse does wonders to close up most things.

My order of finishing up my shave using the alum block is as described in the last two posts.

I got mine from http://tinyurl.com/3xjltw (The Vermont Country Store). You get two bottles (.17 oz each) for $7.90. This was the best deal I found on the net. The only drawback is that it took them 2 weeks to get the stuff to me for some reason. They didn't even process the order until 4 days after I placed it.

If you can find it in a drug store, please let us know which one. I checked Walgreens, CVS, Wal-Mart, and Target and didn't find it in any of them. With two bottles I should be set for awhile, but it would be nice to get it locally next time.

Thanks!

Matt

I got mine from http://tinyurl.com/3xjltw (The Vermont Country Store). You get two bottles (.17 oz each) for $7.90. This was the best deal I found on the net. The only drawback is that it took them 2 weeks to get the stuff to me for some reason. They didn't even process the order until 4 days after I placed it.

If you can find it in a drug store, please let us know which one. I checked Walgreens, CVS, Wal-Mart, and Target and didn't find it in any of them. With two bottles I should be set for awhile, but it would be nice to get it locally next time.

Thanks!

Matt

This is where I got mine, Great stuff and I got it quick maybe they lost your order or maybe I got Lucky. PS Thanks Micheal for the recommendation much better then the pencil.

I like using aftershave splash.

if my face is bleeding, do I use the styptic before or after my aftershave?

I don't have any alum, but I'm dying to try it. would I use alum before or after the aftershave splash?:confused: :confused1

Dude, you gotta try the alum. I can't imagine a shave without it. My routine is warm rinse > cold alum block > wait/put stuff away > witch hazel > balm/splash of choice.

I've had to reach for the styptic only twice in the last month. When I do, it's after the alum and before the witch hazel splash.

Top Bottom