What's new

Styptic Alternative?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I recently started SR shaving and, as expected, I am getting few weepers. So far I have been using the toilet paper routine to "treat" them.

This weekend I went hunting for a styptic pencil. I tried all the major pharmacies in Cebu but they had never heard of them. I even tried some of the better barbers in town. They all use toilet paper.

It appears that a styptic pencil is unknown/not available in my little bit of paradise.

Is their an alternative to a styptic pencil?

What I did find was a thing called "liquid bandage". Will that work?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Thanks Ad Astra. After some research I found that a styptic pencil is basically made of potassium alum. That should be reasonably easy to source here as it is burnt in some divination ceremonies by the locals.

I'll see what I can find over the next couple of days.

To me, styptic pencils are messy. I like using a product called Pacific Shaving Nick Stick which is essentially a type of liquid bandage. It is quite effective and not noticeable on the skin. I doubt you can find Nick Stick in Cebu, but it sounds like the liquid bandage might be a suitable option.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I don't use a styptic -- just never picked one up -- but I have found that a Witch Hazel rinse of my face will stop 95% of my bleeders, and I use an alum block for the remaining 5%. Good luck and keep us posted!

Talcum powder. I rarely have to use it but if I do I put a little on a piece of tissue and dip a Q-tip in it and apply. Trick I learned decades ago from my barber. Works a treat for stubborn bleeders.

Chris

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
While out yesterday, I bought some liquid bandage (USD2.50 for 10ml) to give it a try. It is claimed to have a 24 month shelf life.

Liquid Bandage.jpg
Sure enough, I got a couple of weepers while SR shaving this morning (my 6th SR shave), so out came the liquid bandage.

To use, you first dry the affected area by pressing on it with a towel. You then immediately apply a thin coating of liquid bandage. This coating in clear (so you can still see your mistakes) and dries within about 5 to 10 seconds. It is also waterproof so after it dries you can apply more lather and continue shaving.

The liquid bandage prevents further blood loss and seals the wound against infection. It is also said to naturally drop off after 3 to 5 days or you can easily peal it off before then.

Now it is just a matter of time to see how the weeper heals under this liquid bandage. I will report the results here.

Last edited:
RayClem. That Vaseline is usually laced with epinephrine or other vasodilator. The cut Vaseline is different that the Vaseline applied to face before rounds.

+1 for alum stick. I use it every shave weepers or not
I do use a styptic pencil in the rare event I get a real cut

Rbscebu..... I have family in Cebu!!
Curious what you are finding or using to hone and or maintain razor in Cebu

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
.... Rbscebu..... I have family in Cebu!!
Curious what you are finding or using to hone and or maintain razor in Cebu
Cebu is my little bit of paradise, but even paradise is not perfect. I have not found any local establishments that cater to SR shavers. I even asked some barbers. They all use shavettes purchased on Lazada or eBay and also don't know of any shops catering to SR users.

For SR equipment I am currently limited to what is available on Lazada Philippines. Their selection is limited and mainly sourced from China. After the New year when I get back from Korea, I will try buying some more SR equipment through Alibaba. They appear to have a wider selection, although still mostly sourced from China.

My current honing and stropping equipment is limited to; a small 100mm x 25mm 10k/3k stone, a larger 160mm x 50mm natural stone (I'm guessing about 6k), a 50mm cow hide strop, a 65mm dual leather and denim strop, and a small piece of stropping wax. All of this has been sourced through Lazada. I have also ordered a set of 7 lapping film sheets 1.5k to 12k from Japan.

See if you can find a deodorant rock - similar material in a different form. Thai Deodorant Stone and similar names.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Kamusta ka. Nice place Cebu, I occasionally visit and stay in the Hamersons hotel. My wife is Ilocano from Bagabag in Nueva Vizcaya to the North. Not a lot of shaving supplies there as I recall.

Top Bottom