What's new

Stylish shoes for wide feet?

Hey B&B!

Another thread here got me thinking about footwear. Having wide feet (8 wide or 8 1/2 wide, usually), finding nice shoes sucks. My fiancee will often show me a pair of shoes when we're out shopping that she thinks would look great on me, until I put them on and my heels are all slipping out of the back. It's so frustrating!! I'm considering getting away from my square toed dress shoes, but unfortunately, those are the marjority of what I find for wide feet.

So, this goes for boots, non-running sneakers (I like a nice pair of Nikes from time to time), dress shoes, anything... do any of you B&Bers have any tips or tricks for finding wide-fitting shoes in a narrow-footed world? I've never spent more than $100 on shoes, but I realize I might have to in order to step my game up.

Here's the thread that got me thinking about this, in case y'all are wondering.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/302580-It-s-official-I-am-out-of-style

Way beyond $100 but I am a fan of Allen Edmonds, and they go up to EEE widths (which I am). If you had the cash, you outfit your whole shoe collection, bar athletic shoes, with AE. Nordstrom is having their annual sale and a number of AE shoes they carry are on sale.

Yes, definitely look into Allen Edmonds. They have a good selection of wide sizes, which is unfortunately rare.

DEDude, I know your concern. I am one of those who popped off about square toed shoes. But I wear 9-1/2EE or EEE depending on brand so I know what you mean. It seems like no one wants to stock wide widths anymore. It irks me to no end to find a Florsheim or Johnston and Murphy dealer who look at me like I am crazy for even asking for them. When I was a teenager some thirty years ago my local Florsheim dealer carried many of their models in not only EE & EEE but narrower widths like B & C as well. And the quality was MUCH better than now. True, many of them were priced at close on one hundred dollars per pair but were long lasting and repairable by any cobbler.

I am afraid if you want a decently made pair of production shoes you will most likely be looking at Allen Edmonds. The Brooks Brothers brand of shoes have some well made shoes too. I know that some of them were made in England by a good firm but the name escapes me. Like Edmonds expect retail to be between 275-400 dollars. Definitely watch the sales. The discounts are really large. I do jot typically have the disposable income to cover that kind of retail expense other than the sales.

Cheers, Todd

I would suggest going to an orthopedic doctor that makes inserts for people with a wide range of foot problems. The reason I go is because I have to have inserts is because of my physical disability. My left side is shorter than my right side.

The reason I suggest going is he/she can look at the bottom of your shoes and tell how you walk. Wether you have a high instep or walk on the outside of your foot. Plus, they can measure your foot to find exactly what type of shoe you should buy. For me it was either Rockport or New Balance. Try this before you buy shoes that are expensive.

And by the way. I am a bit out of touch. I just looked at Brooks and many of their shoes are 400-600. At the expense of a cheap pun you have to be well heeled to afford good dress shoes.

Cheers, Todd

Most of the British companies make a "G" width which is what I need - Loakes, Churches, etc. have this size. Also Allen Edmonds sells wide fitting but they are not quite wide enough for me in most lasts. Alden 3E from Shoemart works for me in some lasts as well. Unfortunately, these shoes get pricey but they look good and will last for years with some care. The Loakes pictured cost about $150 and are extremely comfortable although not a very versatile style. AE, Alden and Churches expect to pay about double that.
View attachment $Loakes.jpg

Another AE suggestion. My feet are very wide as well. You probably wont have much luck with some of AE's "go to" shoes like the Park Ave b/c they are designed on a narrow last. I sugegst you start by trying something built on the 8 last in EEE. If you check out their website you can narrow your search by last. I'm in love with my Bentons which are built on a version of the 8 last that is designed to accommodate an orthotic. Very comfortable and a great look.

I have an older pair (5yrs) of bostonians that came in wide. I can't speak to their current quality but if you are looking at a price range below AE then that may not be a bad place to start.

I too have a shoe fitment problem. I wear an 11 EEE and I have a high instep. My go to shoes have always been Rockports and New Balance but hanging out here and on another site where they talk about shoes every now and then put me on the track to Allen Edmonds for some nicer shoes. Before I went out and bought new ones I went to their store to find out what size I actually wear according to them. Then I got on ebay and found a pair of "Wilberts" which is one of their most popular shoes for $50.00 shipped ($275.00 retail and according to the staff at the store the Wilbert rarely goes on sale). The shoes are in excellent condition but I've never bought used shoes. Before anyone says they wouldn't do that, try and remember if you've ever been to a bowling alley and used their shoes. I'll bet I clean the insides better than they do.

I started reading on the Internet how to clean them when they got here and the consensus of what I found was to wipe them out thoroughly with Clorox wipes and then spray the insides with Lysol and let them dry. Once that was done and they did end up looking like almost new, I went back to the AE store to buy some shoe care products for the outside and some new laces. I got a new horsehair brush, two pair of laces, a cotton flannel polishing cloth, Leather Lotion, and Heel & Sole Edge Dressing for a grand total of $27.60. So now my $275.00 shoes have cost me $77.60. If I had wanted to I could have sent them to AE for recrafting for $125.00 and still been under the cost of new by $100.00 but these shoes were like new so I chose this route. If you do decide to buy used and plan to send them for recrafting make sure you view their video online as some shoes (because of various problems or the way the shoe was originally built) can not be recrafted. I figure I'll wear these for a few days and if I like them I'll go buy a new pair (Stewart Tan Waxy Saddle) before they go off sale.

Anyone else ever bought a used pair of shoes or worn inherited/hand me downs?

Steve

Zappos is great for wide shoes. I wear a 4E and finding shoes that fit is a bear. I don't even bother looking for shoes at B&M stores anymore. Zappos allows you to search by size and width to find exactly what is available, ships fast, and has a great return policy if you don't like them or they don't fit. I've bought boots, running shoes, and dress shoes from them and have always been happy. You're still limited to a relatively small number of brands, but at least you know what is out there that will fit you and can pick accordingly.

I got the opposite problem, I have a narrow foot. It seems that they always have medium and wides available but no narrows.

Top Bottom