What's new

Stropping a SE blade (AutoStrop)

I'm very curious about this. I have a few *** and a strop coming in any day now.

How long can a blade be used if one strops the blade before and after the shave?

How many down and back passes/strokes (what word is used?) does the job?

TIA

I'm not to sure about how long the blade lasts for the autostrop...the Valet blades anyway. What I would recommend is to pick up some Feather SE blades from one of the few online stores that carry them. They fit most Valet razors and they don't require any stropping. They are what I use in my Autostrop. Some info on them can be found HERE. From what I know most people just get these.

Got em a long time ago. I get 2 shaves from a Feather. But that isn't the point, at least for me.

For me it's the journey, not merely arriving there. One doesn't spend $40 for a strop to save a few cents on a blade.

I have a couple of the original strops for these, both apparently in excellent condition. I've discovered that I actually tend to spoil modern blades when I try to strop them with these strops and the built in stropping mechanism. Had the same experience with both the special Feather blades, and some regular modern SEs that I'd cut down to fit in the non-cutout style auto strops. I've studied the process, and read advice from other people, to try to figure out what I might be doing wrong. All I can say is that a blade that was sharp enough to shave with before I strop it is dull and unusable afterward.

It's an interesting concept, though. Who knows, maybe it worked better with the original blades, or maybe I really am making some mistake.

I just made a separate post about an Ever Ready I just acquired. It came with a set of SE blades that are much thicker than the modern disposable blades. I think the designer 100 years ago intended these blades to be stropped and used for a period of time. See if you can get hold of one of those old blades.

I don't know enough about the Autostrop. Does it use a standard size SE?

I just made a separate post about an Ever Ready I just acquired. It came with a set of SE blades that are much thicker than the modern disposable blades. I think the designer 100 years ago intended these blades to be stropped and used for a period of time. See if you can get hold of one of those old blades.

I don't know enough about the Autostrop. Does it use a standard size SE?

Some do, but you have to remove the spine from the blade first, other use special proprietary blades and those models will only use Feathers or the original Valet blades.

Top Bottom