What's new

Strop

That style of strop is called a paddle strop.
Paddle strops like that are fine (I'm using a Miller paddle at the moment), but I don't know anything about that particular brand. Since both sides are leather you would need to put some sort of paste on one of the sides. Half micron chrome oxide works well, as would half micron diamond (the choice is a matter of personal preference). Leave the other side clean for daily stropping, and whenever the razor starts pulling then give it a few very light laps on the other (pasted) side.

Pasted paddle strops are great tools for finishing razors that you have honed or for touching up a razor that is beginning to pull. I don't know that strop and I am not sure how receptive that leather would be to the paste. Decent price though...even if it doesn't work you could always use it as a travel strop.

They both work well. It comes down to a matter of personal preference, and also which exact strop you're talking about (stay away from Zeepk and Mehaz and Bass strops on ebay). Unfortunately when you're starting out you don't know what your preferences are yet :frown: Ultimately what's important is that you get a good strop, no matter the style, and just use it for awhile. You'll have enough on your plate just learning how to keep the razor sharp and how to handle the razor and get a good shave, without also worrying about what strop is optimal. Eventually you can get one of the other style and see which one you prefer, then sell off the one you decide not to keep.

Tony Miller (www.thewellshavedgentleman.com) makes excellent hanging strops and paddle strops, and I can't recommend his stuff enough. He will also supply abrasive pastes with his paddle strops should you decide to go that route. With the hanging strop the canvas side is naturally abrasive so you don't really need pastes.

Guys i dont wish to seem a tight git BUT,
As im just starting out i have only bought a cheap razor below,this came today but is not ready to shave with if i try to cut the hairs on my arm it pulls a little.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Straight-Cut-...yZ887QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262
I'm now looking for a cheap strop just to get me going and to see if i like the idea of using a straight.
If all goes well i will invest further into better equipment.
so onto the strop below do you thing this would be ok as a trial strop??
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Leather-Razor...06315QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

Sorry for your loss...

There are no markings on the razor, but that price almost certainly means it's Pakistani manufacture and unsuitable for shaving. Same for the strop.

Their razors will neither take nor hold a shaving edge. About the only use anybody's ever found for them is as a letter-opener, and they're not even very good at that. Unfortunately Ebay's flooded with them, you can hardly find the good vintage razors for all the Pakistani spam. You're by no means the first to get taken in by them - sometimes they claim they're 'german style', or use 'solingen' as a brand name, etc.

See the sticky thread "Questionable and poor quality razors on ebay" in the forum above this one "General Straight Razor Talk".

Last edited:
Well thanks for the advice might as well throw it and start looking again.
At least I only lost a tenna I suppose.
Cheers
kev.

Top Bottom