What's new

Strop balm has caused my strop to become tacky and makes the razor stick/drag. What do?

I'm looking at repairing the Red Imp logo with red dye. Either Angelus or Fiebing's or ???

Anyone familiar with dying impressions on leather able to comment if I can fill and wipe off the excess, or will I need to paint the impression with a brush?

My experience with dyes like those is that they are very thin and penetrate and bleed into the leather. Think more like wood stain than paint. Soaks in then you wipe it down. Even if you brush it in, it is likely to bleed somewhat to the surrounding area. They are very thin with a solvent.

I am not certain what you need to use. People do a lot of painting on leather and I think they use acrylics but I’ve never done it. When I do gold or silver imprinting it does better with a glue above and below to help adhere.

You may have to do some experimenting. I can say I have used plenty of fiebings dye and have never had any issue with it as long as the leather and prep is right. But that was to dye/color whole pieces.

Top Bottom