What's new

Stretching vs Flattening

I heard a person who has been using a double edge safety razor for years and is considered an expert at its use teach that one flattens the region one intends to pass the razor over. He specifically distinguished between flattening and stretching.

Am wondering if there are any straight razor users who use the same technique of just flattening rather than stretching the region being shaved?

Also interested in hearing people's thoughts on the role played by stretching and/or flattening while shaving with the straight -- for example, does stretching help present the hair to the blade in a better way for being cut than just flattening?

(I am very new to the straight and am inclined to work on just a flattened surface.)

I think they go hand-in-hand. For example during at least one of the shave passes near the jawline I pull the skin up which both stretches and flattens the area which normally sits around the curve of the jawline to get a closer shave. Likewise a slight puff of air in the cheeks helps to flatten them but also stretches them a little.

But to answer your question I think flattening is more important that stretching. For example I find that the side burn area to be flat enough and does not require stretching to get a good shave. Stretching does help cut closer as I found that when aggressively stretching an area of my face above the jawline which is already relatively flat, that the resulting shave was too close (using a shavette).

Stretching the skin with flatten the area being stretched, the one is a result of the other.

Also a DE razor safety bar will flatten the skin before the blades edge, no stretching required.

The flatter and tighter your skin is the better the shave. A straight razor will cut everything that protrudes. It doesn't differentiate between stubble and skin. As mentioned above it has no safety bar. So flattening versus stretching is not the issue, both are needed or the razor will make you pay in blood.

I neither stretch or flatten, but blow out my cheeks. A sharp edge and a light touch serves me well. However, all faces are not the same. Some men have a lot of skin and some have folds. We just have to figure out what works for each of us.

I neither stretch or flatten, but blow out my cheeks. A sharp edge and a light touch serves me well. However, all faces are not the same. Some men have a lot of skin and some have folds. We just have to figure out what works for each of us.
This is a very good post. Thank you!:001_smile

^This, seconded.

Shaving with an open blade has made me much more observant of the topography of my face and neck, and of other guys'. My own neck and chin are much more uneven and irregular than I'd realized, and require a lot of gentle stretching to produce flat planes of skin to shave on. I see other guys with necks that are more even, and I can just visualize smooth N-to-S and S-to-N passes, without all the fuss.

I heard a person who has been using a double edge safety razor for years and is considered an expert at its use teach that one flattens the region one intends to pass the razor over. He specifically distinguished between flattening and stretching.

Am wondering if there are any straight razor users who use the same technique of just flattening rather than stretching the region being shaved?

Also interested in hearing people's thoughts on the role played by stretching and/or flattening while shaving with the straight -- for example, does stretching help present the hair to the blade in a better way for being cut than just flattening?

(I am very new to the straight and am inclined to work on just a flattened surface.)
After trying both I find flattening works better than stretching, but that’s only an opinion.

I think stretching the skin taut is a critical aspect. Just as an anecdote from a recent shaving experience, I was getting careless with pulling my skin taut as I was taking a pass on my cheek. I felt the skin start to bunch up ahead of the edge of my razor, and if I hadn't stopped the forward motion of the pass, would have cut my cheek good. I stopped, reset and pulled the skin taut, and the next pass glided down my cheek smoothly. Flat is important, but taut more so.

I am lucky that I don't need to do anything to stretch my skin and make it flat, not even when I shave with a straight razor. I can just contort my face a bit, tilt the head etc. and that's all.

I am lucky that I don't need to do anything to stretch my skin and make it flat, not even when I shave with a straight razor. I can just contort my face a bit, tilt the head etc. and that's all.
Same boat here, keeping skin flat works better for me also.

I don't need to do much either.

1578854017803.png

Top Bottom