What's new

Strait razor shaving and the millitary

I am looking to start shaving with a straight razor but am kind of at odds with the lifestyle, especially for the navy. While I’m not worried about taking care of the razor on the ship and squeezing in the time during the day, the fact that I need to be clean shaven just about every day seems like it is going to be a long trip to proficiency.

I am curious to hear about other service members learning experiences.

I don't bother with a straight unless I'm somewhere that I have significant time in the morning. Even so, i'd use a Shavette or similar disposable blade straight. I dont know about how mornings work in the Royal Navy (I'm in a reserve component of the US Army) but having enough time to shave with a straight for me would require getting up an extra 30 minutes or so early(to beat the rush). Even if I have time, I don't bring all of the normal shaving gear. I just bring razor(merkur classic), blades, tube of cream that doesnt need a brush lather(KMF, etc.), small 1 oz. bottle of AS splash, and ASB. Most of that can all fit in a soap case. If we're staying in the field I just bring an electric razor and some Lectric Shave (I know I know, blasphemy.....).

If you have the time and resources to use a traditional straight razor, go for it!!!!

Until you're confident in your abilities, you might want to keep an electric razor handy.

I'd suggest you start learning at the begining of leave. If you are confident by the end of it, take it with you, and enjoy. It does take a little longer to shave with one, but when you've mastered the technique you should be able to shave fairly quick with one. It might be worth getting a 7 day set, to save time in the mornings and avoid having to have a strop hanging by the communal sink.
I'd be interested to know how you get on, let us know if you start shaving with a straight while on duty.

We had this guy on one of the ships that I was on that was a straight user. If you're willing to put up with the glares and the absurd amount of expletives that will be thrown your way as you strop your blade, then go for it. Just be careful when the ship rocks :eek:

R/

FC1(SW) Derrick Patterson

Make sure you bring 2 or 3 razors if you'll be underway, in case one is accidentally damaged. If your beard is light enough, shaving the night before might be an option -- less competition and likely more time for you to get down your technique.

Be prepared to paint it Haze GREY!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Then you can stencil your name/SSN on it.

I've told this before, but when I showed up at Great Lakes for Boot Camp, in 1980, they took my adjustable DE from me. "No, Slick...you have to go get a double edge at the Exchange." "But this IS a double edge," I told this dipsh*t. "The hell it is! It's a goddamn straight razor." Anyway...the discussion continued and I did some push ups, I got a Trac II or some other crap like that, and never saw my adjustable again. No big deal, at "A" school I had a Fatboy shipped to me, and I still use the thing.

They also made us use Zest soap, because it didn't leave a film. They actually BELIEVED that old commercial!!!

But I loved my time in the Navy, I really did. Go for it, shipmate!

My only concern would being bumped by somebody accidentally while shaving with a straight, the consequences are much greater than with a DE.

Chief

My seagoing days, we were almost always on "water hours" because we couldn't keep the evaporators working, so shaving (along with showers and the ship's laundry!) was usually suspended.

When i had my turn aboard ship i didn't wetshave, looking back on it is not the most hospitable environment and i would even say that shaving in the desert ranks above it, even without running water. There is a huge learning curve with a straight and i am just dipping my toes into that water. So far the water is fine but my feet are firmly planted on solid ground. I couldn't imagine trying to unlearn the terrible shaving techniques the military has taught me and trying to pick up skill to learn a straight. Not only that where the Navy stuck us Marines on float we didn't have alot of space to ourselves often times sharing sinks. (if you are one of those O types then disregard i have seen how you live and this does not apply)
What i would suggest to you is baby steps. Get a brush, cream and some soaps and use a milder cartridge razor like a Sensor or the Bic Metals and learn your beard then, move to a DE and finally a straight when you master the DE. Just my .02

I dont know, i dont hang out in their heads.

Some state rooms have their own small sinks and rain lockers but the majority do have to share. I was talking about two people using one sink at a time.

navy officers don't share sinks?

Most of them have a small room which they may share with one to three others, some have there own room. Generally speaking for a medium sized ship (DDG or some anphibs) you will prolly have only one room mate. I do not quite have the luxury.

Thank you all for the great advice, on the up shot, our CO has been nice enough to let medical sell no-shave ****s for while we are at sea more often then not to raise money for the ships rec fund, so that will probably go a long way.

I figured to make the most of my time I would do any stopping that needed to be done before I go to bed and keep a fairly minimalist set up due to the space constraints and keep my cartage razor (eventually DE) on hand for those mornings where speed is required.

I sailed in the gator navy, Indykramer. We lived like rats. But anytime I started feeling sorry for my lot in life, I would go down to the troop spaces where the Marines lived and look around. Made our sorry dungeon look like the Beverly Hilton. I figured that's why the Marines were so tough...they would fight anyone to get out of those ships. Amtraks, oorah!

Last two times I went to the boat they put us up in Marine berthing. For the uninitiated, imagine shelves at a 7-11 but with guys sleeping on them 4 high...
and a couple metal sinks for everyone to share. My current outfit is not boat intensive, although it *is* Iraq intensive. My turn's coming up again pretty soon I guess.
Still, O's live a little better than us enlisted types. Got to keep them in longer after the Navy spent so much money training them, or I guess that's the reason.
I'd recommend a paddle strop (something small) and something to touch up your razor from time to time. If you have a back up razor that the ships store sells blades for, that's a good idea.
If you can get one, Friodurs are pretty low maintenance, or perhaps a Dovo stainless (haven't tried them but they do have a good reputation). It's what I carry most the time on dets, and a hone=strop with a piece of leather from Tony Miller on the back. Not a Shapton30,000 grit and a baby seal skin strop, but it works.....
Just make sure nobody thinks its a "weapon". I've seen stupid things done by the ignorant. If they see you successfully SHAVING with it, you may also have some converts on your hands. It happened to me.

John P.

That’s what I was thinking as well John. After the great reviews of the 4 sided paddles It seems like the way to go. I have a Hen & Rooster stainless that I was given as a gift just before I got to Japan but have been a busy and a bit intimidated to use.

The last time I looked up straight razors it seemed like I had gotten a lemon as everywhere I looked I saw nothing but bad about stainless and that there were only two companies worth a damn. Fortunately I found this place to see that others have proven both of these top the contrary.

I sailed in the gator navy, Indykramer. We lived like rats.

Hoo-yah Gators, my first two tours were blue/green, one on an LPD the other as the Nav on an LCU.

That’s what I was thinking as well John. After the great reviews of the 4 sided paddles It seems like the way to go. I have a Hen & Rooster stainless that I was given as a gift just before I got to Japan but have been a busy and a bit intimidated to use.

The last time I looked up straight razors it seemed like I had gotten a lemon as everywhere I looked I saw nothing but bad about stainless and that there were only two companies worth a damn. Fortunately I found this place to see that others have proven both of these top the contrary.

Hoo-yah Gators, my first two tours were blue/green, one on an LPD the other as the Nav on an LCU.

Marc,
I'd recommend contacting Tony Miller about what he can do for you, as well as (if you get into hones) Howard Schechter. Both have set me up with quality stuff that travels well. I have my full-size strops, etc. at home, but for travel (ESPECIALLY on the boat) there's not as much room for all that stuff. Give them a call, or at least an email. You won't regret it. I have a couple small Belgian hones with wooden boxes which double as a strop (I've even got green paste on one of them) from Howard Schechter, and a NOS "cushion hone-strop" barber hone, which Tony Miller has applied his latigo leather to the back of. Sometimes it is all I take. There are other options, also. His 4 sided strop is a bit large as I recall, but if you are using a coffin locker it should still fit in there. I'd actually ask for the travel strop, or *even better* maybe even the new synthetic one he's trying out now that doesn't get damaged by the elements so much.

Sorry...this is sort of an addiction to me.

John P.
(I'll check the chief results when pigs fly...)

Top Bottom