What's new

Straight + shave oil = my shaving dream team

Hey B&B,

After deciding to give straight shaving another chance, I picked up a Gold Dollar razor from B&B member HLS. Straight shaving was never as smooth as with my DE, and as I got started, I felt it again--maybe it's my lather, but the razor doesn't glide as evenly as my good ol' Merkur 23c. After my first OK pass, I got the sudden idea to apply some pre-shave oil--something I've acquired fairly recently (thanks jdjones!).

After a few drops of shave oil, and reapplying the Palmolive Classic with my red Omega 49, the razor glided across my face like never before. I actually had a great shave, and my aftershave is drying as I type. So, if straight shaving isn't working for you, maybe you should give some pre-shave oil a try!!

Last edited:
Agreed! Shave oil is great, and I prefer to make my own. Also, try making a thinner, wetter lather. It makes a huge difference in shave quality with a straight.

When I was using preshave oil I made my own from extra virgin olive oil, fresh picked rosemary and orange zest. Just pulverize the rosemary and add with the oil and orange zest. Shake vigorously and store in a dark place for two weeks shaking everyday for the first week. Strain and pour into containers after the second week. Even my wetshaving coworker liked it and recently asked me to make more. Making my own anything is always more fulfilling than buying.

Jim

I won't shave without my shave secret anymore. It doesn't seem to add any glide for me but, does help protect the skin somehow.

I make my own and love it. Don't use it every time. Good olive oil and a bit of tobacco flower oil for scent and squeeze a couple of vitamin E oil capsules in there as well.

Top Bottom