What's new

Straight razors story

Who prefers straight razors and why?

What attracted you to making the switch , is it an economical earth friendly change , or do you just like the awesomeness?

What got you to make the switch? How where you introduced?

WHATS YOUR STORY?????

Ok , I will start for the past 10years I used liquid hand soap and cartridge razors, STRICTLY! never bought shaving cream always liquid hand soap , it's the way I was taught!

Now for those ten years , I remained a little scraggy and only shaved when I needed too , which was once or twice a week. My typical procedure would be buying a 5pack at the gas station (about once a week) and using 2-3 cartridges for a face shave , so I was getting two shaves per 5pack .... And this went on for years

AND THEN !!!! , I was renting a room where I discovered a straight razor in the bathroom ... I was immiadetly hooked , this being something new! I was intrigued by the old school bad *** aspect , also ectstatic no more cartridges!

Also a way to mow down a lot of hair ,perfect for trucking ( where you may only get a decent shower once a week)

Me being a collector of sorts , dropping thousands on vintage fishing lures as my first niche , And already having a love for knifes...

THIS WAS THE SOLUTION I WAS LOOKING FOR!!

So I just continued spending , spending ,spending ...TRIAL AND ERROR

I WAS HOOKED

Last edited:
My grandfather gave me his uncle’s Böker when I was about 18. I cut myself with it and decided it wasn’t worth it.

While growing up I played the accordion and built models including airbrushing and enjoyed tasks that required coordination. I was determined to try it when I acquired a razor that I knew was worthy of shaving being not sure that the Böker was.

Fast forward about four decades and I was just plain curious to see whether I could master it. I’m doing very well with it and learning a bit more after over 300 shaves.

Now it’s just plain fun. I’ll grab a cartridge if I’m truly in a rush, or got a bad night’s sleep. Other than that, it’s a straight virtually every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started on straights approx 9-10 years ago. I cannot recall exactly how I came across it as I wasn’t actively pursuing straight razors but i guess I knew I needed to get away from the Mach 3. As I started, I had better skin and less irritation immediately - even while learning.
I couldn’t think of any other way to shave now

My shaving journey started with a Bic single bladed disposable razor. No lubricating strip.
I knew my knives were extremely sharp, so I started shaving with my pocket knives, hot water, and a bar of Dial soap. Eventually my dad got me a straight razor and taught me everything about it. My normal knife accessories could be used for the straight razor: the hones, the ceramics, the strops, the polishing paste, and so on.

How to hold the straight razor, how to hone and strop it, what polishing compound to use and how much. The angle of the blade on your face and how fast to move it. How to 'map' my face and head. How to do it all without a mirror. How to keep the razor clean and not cruddy or loose.

I enlisted in the Army and I couldn't bring a straight razor to BCT, so I had to buy some cheapies at the good ol' PX / Commissary. As soon as I graduated, I got a few months' worth of Gillette Mach 3s and canned foam to hold me over until AIT was over. For even speedier shaving, there was this Norelco waterproof electric razor with three cutting heads and dispensed the "goo" at the push of a button. It could be charged via wall outlet.

I'm back to DE and straight razor shaving. It feels so much better, I'm looking healthier, and my lady friends aren't complaining.

Now, where's my VA check?

Last edited:
I started Traditional Shaving about 8 years ago with an EJ DE89. I spent the next 6 years in BBS bliss, saving a ton compared to the 5-blade cartridges I had been using. But about two years in the idea of straights started taking root. So elegant. So fit-for-purpose. So dang cool. Plus, the honing and stropping appealed to my OCD tendencies.

It took me another four years, but I took the plunge when my wife got me a Dovo straight and WCS strop and I haven't looked back.

Today marks the first day of my third year of daily straights. I have somewhere around 25. I hone. I restore. I'm even making scales now. Bringing an abused vintage blade back into functional use is a true joy.

Needless to say, I am no longer saving money. But I am having a ton of fun each time I pick up a straight.

It is all my daughter's fault. Once she moved out of the house, I lost access to her stash of disposable single edge razors. When I went to the store and saw the cost of Gillette Fusion 5 cartridges, I started straight razor shaving.

Last edited:
My first razor was a , Gillette fusion 5

THEY WOULD SEND A GIANT STARTER KIT PROMOTIONAL on your 15-16 birthday for free (trying to hook customers for life)

IN THE DIAL UP DAYS

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I was browsing Lazada (the Amazon of east Asia) last year and came across a "straight razor" for about USD 5. I thought that I would give it a try as I enjoy new experiences. I was already wet shaving with a cart so had the brush and cream. I order that together with a small 4k/10k whetsone and 50mm cow-hidr strop - all for under USD 15.

After it all arrived, of course nothing worked as planned. It was then that I discovered B&B where I learned that my razor was an SRO (thanks Slash). I was down, but not out.

I then ordered a Titan ACRM-2 with dual denim/leather strop, 4k natural whetstone and stropping paste all for USD 28. After a lot of work on the edge with the gear supplied, I eventually had a SR that would tree-top (just) and I started to SR shave.

Further study on B&B introduced me to The Method. In learning that, I learnt what a truly shave-ready edge was.

From there I have never looked back. Over 100 SR shaves now and still getting better with each shave.

My first razor was a , Gillette fusion 5

THEY WOULD SEND A GIANT STARTER KIT PROMOTIONAL on your 15-16 birthday for free (trying to hook customers for life)

IN THE DIAL UP DAYS
Those Sega Genesis days , where you couldn't save game had to leave it on for days

Box phones , later on flip nextels

Dial up ... 30min to load a page , view one female pic and wait thirty minutes

Top Bottom