What's new

Straight Razors and why?

I don't buy that for a minute. Not for one second because it's simply not true. In fact this is completely FALSE.
Straight razors are NOT sharper than DE blades. They are nowhere close to as sharp.

Are surgical scalpels sharper than razor blades?
A surgical scalpel is many times sharper than a straight razor and almost as sharp as many of the sharpest DE blades.
You can do a hanging hair test pretty easily and get a very good idea about which is sharper. My feather blades are no where near the level of my straight razors but all DE brands and individual straights will be different. Sweeping wholesale statements will always have exceptions. Both are plenty sharp enough to achieve the task at hand.

The fact that we even have to have this conversation just proves how divorced from reality some people are in their beliefs.

A DE blade can last for 20+ shaves. A typical #10 or #15 scalpel, while single use these days, is actually designed to be able to keep its edge for far more use than it would ever see.

A straight razor barely survives a single use. Even using the most advanced modern steels available, they still just barely make it through a few minutes of shaving.

A straight razor is the sharpest of these edges because it is allowed to be. It is not required to last more than one use. It is maintained. If DE's could be easily stropped after every use, they'd make them sharper. They can't be and so they don't. If people were happy throwing out their "disposable" razors after a single use, those blades would be made as sharp as straight razors... no one would buy a truly single use razor... so they aren't.

Sharpness for these ultra-fine tools is a very, very simple thing. It is almost perfectly the inverse of durability. If your edge lasts longer, it is duller. Straight razors with low grind angles can actually be taken to the point where the edge won't survive a shave. They get as sharp as anything that you can possibly shave with, made of steel, can be. When they start making flint and ceramic DE blades, then we'll talk which is sharper... because then it might actually be a discussion worth having.

I have only started seriously using a straight recently and completed my 47th consecutive daily shave with it today. I did it because I was looking for a challenge to learn a new skill. What I personally discovered is that I can get a BSS shave with a DE, SE, and Straight. All comfortable and enjoyable. The straight requires more maintenance, making the others a bit more convenient. A mistake with the straight could also be potentially more disastrous. I also found it a bit more personally satisfying shaving with the straight because of the added skill needed to obtain a good shave. Nevertheless, it seems to me the reason razors evolved from straights to safety razors stemmed from convenience - less time and skill needed For the same results. The average person that did not see shaving as a hobby but a chore, appreciated the simplicity progressing from straights. Everyday living was filled with many chores. Today we have many modern conveniences. Carts and foam goop can produce can produce a good shave and are almost as idiot proof as putting an sharp edge to your face can be. None are wrong. I do believe all can provide a BBS, and if not, you skills with the tool are probably not fully developed minus really bad tools or personal special use cases of skin, etc. I chose to make shaving a relaxing enjoyable hobby and experience. I do believe I’m treating my skin better with the soaps I use, but all the razors types generally will produce a good shave for me. It comes down to what I enjoy doing and how I spend my time - not the theoretical sharpness of any blade. As long as the tool is designed well and in proper shape - a DE blade not worn out, a honed edge, new cart, etc. it should do the job. For me lately the tool has been straights. Once COVID is over and I return to the office, I will probably leave the straights for the weekends, and go back to enjoying my DE and SE razors.

We will have to agree to disagree. Obsidian straight would be the ticket. I do not know of any.
And then there would be no way to sharpen ( that I am aware of) it even if it were. Though its edge would last many times longer than steel. I can easily see the edge of a straight deteriorating quickly as you have stated, but so too the double edge. At their sharpest edge neither are as good or as sharp after one single use. People may claim this is so, but in reality, it's not. The double edge is much thinner, it's bevel is much thinner, so too is its apex. Its edge will last much longer. Not because it is duller. I personally have been honing steel for many many years. Probably own one of the finest finishing stones you have ever seen. I would like to try straight razors.......but if I do if will be one of the finest money can buy in the event that I tire of the headache and can use it as a display. You can strop til your heart is content but at the end of the day, you will be honing and finishing at some point, and if you don't know how, you'll be sending it off for an apex reset, to someone like me who will happily charge you for a service.
Be well.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Nice ark.

I'd advise you avoid Damascus razors... while some smiths lately have developed methods of creating damascus patterned steel wrapped around a single steel core that can take a shaving edge... initial efforts found that if made entirely of damascus patterned steel, at the levels of refinement straights take, the joints between the dissimilar steels in the pattern would chip microscopically.

As for edge radii, straight razors properly honed have been recorded with edge radii in the single digit nm... DE blades measure that radius in microns. Even tailor's shears can be gotten in the same realm of sharpness as a DE blade. Now a 5 nm edge radius isn't going to last long, but it certainly is going to be sharper than a 500 nm edge radius.

I tried straights years ago when I was working. Since I traveled so much I took along a DE. Eventually, I just kept with the DEs. Now that I am retired I may try straights again. However, if I buy any more razors I may have an issue with domestic tranquility. :wink2:

On the issue of sharpness, I wonder if it is really a question of angle. I have a Spyderco Sharpmaker system that I use on my knives. If I sharpen a knife with the 30-degree angle the knife will be extremely sharp but won't stay sharp as much as when I use the 40-degree angle.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I’m not commenting on the sharpness dispute but only saying both disposable blade and straight razor are plenty sharp enough to get BBS from a two pass shave. Personally, I hate the venerable DE. They are prone to nicking where as straights are not. I only use straights because I get more comfortable shaves without blood letting or skin irritation and a two pass BBS is a no brainer. I do use a half blade shavette occasionally and have no problem with it but prefer a traditional straight - preferably small blades - 4/8 and 9/16. Regarding maintenance, once properly honed, it takes very little time to keep a good shareable edge. Admittedly, learning to shave with and maintain a razor takes some serious commitment but, in the end, it is well worth the trip.

Find what you like and use that. Don't be taken in by what looks cooler, or what other people gush about. I shave primarily with straight razors and have custom as well as vintage blades. Some are better then others. One of my best shavers cost me in USD about 65 cents so cost is not necessarily the only indicator of a great shave, although there is often a correlation. I also have a 3 piece Gillette I use on occasion. If you want to use a straight maybe the weekend is a good time when your not rushed. If your not getting a great shave and you have had the razor honed by someone who is good then I expect it might be your technique. I found it much easier to learn with a 5/8 blade then a 7/8 or a 1" and the 14 while a hollow is a big blade. I still find the sweet spot to be a 5/8 or a 6/8 in a half or full hollow. You get better feedback and its more maneuverable. Not that I don't like my wedges or 1/4 hollows but they don't provide the same feedback just mow right through.

So I shaved for 10 years with DE and thought I would go back to straights. Well I just purchased a Feather DE and a feather blade. I had the best shave ever. No maintenance new blade if I want every day. Just a light cleaning and a blade done. Straights honing, strop a lot more time and effort. And before someone says I don’t have good straights I have top-of-the-line and they are honed by Doc I don’t know how much better I could get. The simple drop a blade in to my Feather, Fatboy, Red tip, Blue tip and so on. VS my Dorko, Filarmonica, Tanifuji and so on. So I know that it is not the razor. Tell me what your experience is right now I’m torn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I completely urge you to stick with the new DE feather set up!! On a side note since you no longer need that Filarmonica you should PM me for my address, thanks.

I have no idea why I'm attracted to straights. Probably the same reason I love redheads, strong coffee, and motorcycles. I don't think I'm trying to kill myself on purpose, but then again, I think we all have a screw loose somewhere, right?

I tend to save the traditional straight shave for the weekend, and just use the shavettes during the week. I use straights because I genuinely enjoy them.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Yes it's a forced patina.
You guys will be happy to know that I am embarking on my first journey concerning straight razors.
I must have a nice one for my shave den. Even if I never use it, I still want one for the beauty and prestige.
I have been looking at Theirs-Issard's and I like the look of the Riga Razors.
That's a start but it's like having a redhead, strong coffee or motorcycle and just looking at it - not enjoying the use of it.

I have been looking at Theirs-Issard's and I like the look of the Riga Razors.

I absolutely love my Rigarazor ... BUT ... The manufacturer's edge on it is sharper than any I've seen on any razor. Ever! And the French point is a bit tricky. You can of course mute the tip, but where's the fun in that? So, the Rigarazor is not what I personally would recommend for learning straights. You may be better served waiting until after your first 50 - 75 shaves before you pick up the Rigarazor.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
We will have to agree to disagree. Obsidian straight would be the ticket. I do not know of any.
And then there would be no way to sharpen ( that I am aware of) it even if it were. Though its edge would last many times longer than steel. I can easily see the edge of a straight deteriorating quickly as you have stated, but so too the double edge. At their sharpest edge neither are as good or as sharp after one single use. People may claim this is so, but in reality, it's not. The double edge is much thinner, it's bevel is much thinner, so too is its apex. Its edge will last much longer. Not because it is duller. I personally have been honing steel for many many years. Probably own one of the finest finishing stones you have ever seen. I would like to try straight razors.......but if I do if will be one of the finest money can buy in the event that I tire of the headache and can use it as a display. You can strop til your heart is content but at the end of the day, you will be honing and finishing at some point, and if you don't know how, you'll be sending it off for an apex reset, to someone like me who will happily charge you for a service.
Be well.
proxy.php

proxy.php
Now THAT is one beautiful blade my friend.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have no idea why I'm attracted to straights. Probably the same reason I love redheads, strong coffee, and motorcycles. I don't think I'm trying to kill myself on purpose, but then again, I think we all have a screw loose somewhere, right?

I tend to save the traditional straight shave for the weekend, and just use the shavettes during the week. I use straights because I genuinely enjoy them.
I love all 3 as well. Truly the closest one to killing me was the redhead!

I married a brunette, but I call her the War Department for a reason.

She might have red roots....?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

That is a very fine and reasonable reason to use them!

Top Bottom