What's new

Stong Scents

So I purchased a tub of B&M Le Grand Chypre. Don't ask me why I bought a full tub without trying out a sample first. This is my first experience with B&M's products, and I am very impressed with the Excelsior base. It has jumped up to take its place with my other top performing soaps.

The only problem is I do not like this scent and it is Very strong. Normally if I don't enjoy a scent, it's not a deal breaker. I only shave my neck and head, so it's never really right under my nose. But the scent of this soap is strong enough that it gave me a headache while shaving.

Would it be worthwhile leaving the cover off the top of the tub for a while to see if the scent dissipates enough for it to be bearable? Would this be kind of a waste? I know some people do dig this scent.

My tub of Le Grande Chypre dates back to the days of Gilssant soaps. The Excelsior formula is a better soap., IMHO.

Over time, scent strength will lessen, but it might take a while. Because this scent has lime and cinnamon, it does cause minor irritation when I use it, so it is not one of my favorite soaps.

Maggard Razors sells samples of a number of popular soaps, including many of the Barrister and Mann scents.

The scent will dissipate a little bit over time if you leave the cover off and just wait. I happen to love the scent, but I have never actually used it. Lime doesn't irritate me at all; I have never tried a soap that had any cinnamon scent in it, at least not that I can remember.

If I were you I would air it out for a month or so and see what happens. If that doesn't work, you could probably sell it on the B/S/T.

Ok. I think I'll try airing it out. I've got a couple B&M samples to try out in the meantime. Seville, which I really like from sniffing it in the container. And Lavenille, which I'm excited to try, but am worried it's going to stain my brush. Hopefully I enjoy one of those a lot more.

Ok. I think I'll try airing it out. I've got a couple B&M samples to try out in the meantime. Seville, which I really like from sniffing it in the container. And Lavenille, which I'm excited to try, but am worried it's going to stain my brush. Hopefully I enjoy one of those a lot more.

Lavanille is rather high in vanilla which can stain natural brushes. It is best to use it with a synthetic brush. If you do not have one, you might want to get one; they are inexpensive. If you do use a natural brush, use something other than a high end badger. The staining won't affect the performance of the brush, but it will affect the appearance.

If you do stain your brush, you might try soaking in 3% hydrogen peroxide at room temperature. That won't harm the bristles, but I can't guarantee it will remove the stain. I always use a synthetic brush with soaps that are dark brown in color.

Barrister and Mann scents are almost always too strong for me. It's a shame really, as I truly like most of Will's scents and I love the soap base. It would be awesome if he would put out a "light" version of his soaps ("half the fragrance, all the Excelsior!). If this existed, I would certainly buy far more B and M soap than I am currently!

Shaved with some terror this week very nice performance strange smell but I am used to stirling so not that strong to me now using some floral purple cream again nice performance

Welcome to B&B, Sir YoungMC!!

I think that after your new tub airs out for a while and with some use, you'll fully enjoy it!
B&M makes great shave soaps!

Shaved with some terror this week very nice performance strange smell but I am used to stirling so not that strong to me now using some floral purple cream again nice performance
Terror is just about the perfect scent strength for me. I wish that all B and M soaps were as restrained as Terror.

I find commerical soaps to all be too strong for me. Even Haslinger is too strong in some scents.

So I make my own with minimal scents and am happy.

The suggestion to get the unscented version and mix is a good one -- same soap, less scent.

Airing out will work, but can take months. Unscented mix seems like a good idea

Offtopic question but I have to ask. I am contemplating getting me some B&M soap. But reading about too strong scent it got me worried.

Compared to Stirling is B&M more/less powerfull or about the same?

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
With quite a few B&M soaps, my first reaction to the scent was ‘eh, it is not for me.’ But, remarkably, after using them a few times, the scents became intoxicating to me. For reasons I cannot adequately convey, B&M soaps that I initially disliked have become soaps I cannot be without.

My suggestion is simply to use it (as you are) and perhaps it will evolve and surprise you.

With quite a few B&M soaps, my first reaction to the scent was ‘eh, it is not for me.’ But, remarkably, after using them a few times, the scents became intoxicating to me. For reasons I cannot adequately convey, B&M soaps that I initially disliked have become soaps I cannot be without.

My suggestion is simply to use it (as you are) and perhaps it will evolve and surprise you.
I concur, as I find Vespers and Ravish intoxicating.

I have had that experience with a number of different scents, not just ones from B&M. Fragrances have three primary layers of development. There are the top notes, the compounds that are quite volatile and immediately attack your senses as soon as you open the container. Then there are the heart notes/middle notes. These are the ones that you begin to smell after the blast of the top notes has begun to subside. Then there are the base notes, the scents that linger, sometimes for hours.

Many people judge a scent by their initial impression which is comprised largely of the top notes. A well-made scent is far more complex. Like a fine wine, Cognac or Scotch, you have to experience the complexity in order to fully appreciate the maker's skill.

A soap will have a different scent in the tub, once lathered on the face, and then after the shave is completed. There have been a few scents that have been a fail to me on all three levels. I liked the performance of Wholly Kaw Buffala formula, but just could not stand the scent of Spice Vitae.

When I first unwrapped a puck of Tabac, I almost vomitted. The scent was horrible. However, I left the puck open to air out for a few weeks to allow the volatile components to escape. Once aired out, the scent was usable.

Top Bottom