What's new

Stock gaps on Gillete vintage slim

Just curious, maybe this is an impossible question to answer...
On my vintage Gillette slim, how can I know definitively that the gaps are correct on each settings level? Is there some guide with precise measurements? I don't knwo of any expert repair guys here in Paris, France so sending it off to people in the States becomes a little pricey.

Thanks!

Don't worry about this. Just find a number that is good for you and shave away.

Remember, it's only shaving.

If the blade is parallel to the safety bar, is even side to side, and changes when you change the setting it is fine. If it is uneven it probably has been dropped and needs adjustment.

I was a two razor shaver until I got my 109 Super Adjustable. Like you I wanted to know the blade gap, so I could use the numbers that most closely match the razors I was using at the time. I was using a 55 Red Tip for a WTG pass and a 46/47 Fat Tech for a ATG pass. I also measured a couple of other razors I had in the past.

All these measurement were done using the same Personna Med Prep blade.

Razor Blade Gap
55 Red Tip .027in(.685mm)
47/50 Fat Tech .017in(.432mm)
46/49 Ball Tech .019in(.483mm) (actually .020 on the other side)
47/49 SS .021in(.533mm)

So to use the Super Adjustable, I would be trying to match the Red Tip and the Fat Tech blade exposure, at least for the first few shaves. Then go from there.
Super Adjustable # & Blade Gap
one .009in(.229mm)
two .011in(.279mm)
three .013in(.330mm)
four .015in(.381mm)
five .017in(.432mm)
six .019in(.483mm)
seven .022in(.559mm)
eight .025in(.638mm)
nine .028in(.660mm)

I started out with #9 for the WTG and #5 for the ATG pass. After a few shaves, I have settled on #8 for the WTG pass and #5 for the ATG pass. If I ever pick up a Fat Boy or Slim, I plan to measure those.

Greg W.

Last edited:
Top Bottom