What's new

Stick w/ same cream for beginners?

Hello again,

Just venturing into the world of DE shaving. I have a razor and blade sampler pack on the way and I'm already using pretty much everything else I need.

My question is about creams/soaps: Should I stay w/ the same cream/soap for an extended period of time since I am just getting started or is it OK for a newbie to switch it up a couple times per week?

It seems like I've seen mixed reviews on this. On one hand I can see the point of keeping everything the same at the beginning so you can monitor the progress - keeping the variables constant I guess. OTOH, everyone seems to recommend trying different blades until you find the right one that works for you, so I thought it might work the same for creams.

My wife bought me an AOS starter kit for Christmas (which is what started all of this, so she can't complain about my impending AD's) and the cream is getting low, so I was wondering what to do to replace it. Buy 1 tub of something and use it exclusively for a while or try one of the sampler packs from Scotto and compare them.

I realize that all opinions come with "YMMV" - but I would still like to hear your thoughts.

thanks again
--Dusty

I think it depends if you are having trouble getting started with DE shaving or not. If you think you have a handle on things, go ahead and mix it up. If you start running into problems, take out the variables until you figure out what is going on.

Dennis

I think it depends if you are having trouble getting started with DE shaving or not. If you think you have a handle on things, go ahead and mix it up. If you start running into problems, take out the variables until you figure out what is going on.

Dennis

+1. Couldn't have written it better myself.

When I first started I thought the same thing about the soap, and I just used one kind, but found that routine to be rather boring. I like to spice it up a bit, so while I changed the soap scents, I did stay with the same manufacturer. It was an Ebay seller named VASUDS, which I still keep in my rotation.

The main reason I changed scents was that after a while I felt that I was cheating myself. Like eating the same food for lunch everyday, there was no variety...So...My advice is that until you find your ZONE you should stay with the same manufacturer of soap. That way if something goes wrong it is easy to find the fix.

Best regards,

Exactly as Dennis said. I do find, though, that I like to work my way through shaving soaps/creams by the same maker---e.g., use QED's soaps several days in a row, then Mama Bear's, then Honeybee Sue's, then Saint Charles Sue's. I like the variety of fragrance, but the soaps lather up much the same within the line.

I would keep experimenting with cream samples. Eventually you will figure out which ones you like which you do not like, etc. Then you will have a regular rotation.
For me "variety is the spice of life". If I stuck to one cream when I started it would be easy to get bored.

Dusty,

I almost forgot! You can get a free sample pack from Floris of London with samples of their Santal, Elite, and JF fragranced creams, AS balms, and colognes.

Send an email to:

Floris of London

Debra Courtright
[email protected] Better yet...Call her and talk to Janet or Debra
866-416-2649 toll free

Their Shave Cream is wonderfully fragranced and lathers very well. They will send enough for about 4 shaves each, and about 2 weeks worth of each of the 3 EDT/Cologne samples. A lil dab'll do ya...!

Best Wishes,

Top Bottom