What's new

Stevey's Shave Journal: A N00b's Journey

Hi everybody! I'm pretty new to the world of traditional wet shaving and thought I'd chronicle my experiences here, allowing for those with a bit more experience to share some advice (or have a good laugh).

First, a bit of background. Up until about a month ago I exclusively used a cartridge multi-blade razor when I shaved. For the last almost 5 years I didn't shave at all. I had a closely trimmed beard that I used electric beard clippers to trim. Then the bald spot showed up....

A few months ago i randomly lost a patch of hair on the left side of my chin. My father credits it to stress. So, I decided I needed to start shaving again so I didn't look like a weirdo. I immediately went back to my Gillette Fusion with 5 blade cartridges. Readily available at any corner drug store, must be the best thing I can get right? After a lot of burn, bumps, and irritation I decided to find a better way. Enter Gonzomadness44...

A loyal member here, and my little sister's boyfriend, Gonzo has been a traditional wet shaver for a few years now. He knew that I had acquired my grandfather's 1961 Gillette Super Speed "Fatboy" when I was younger. I held on to it because I'm into old vintage stuff and I thought it looked cool. After only being able to find Rite Aid brand blades for it, and my wife giving me a tub of The Art Of Shaving sandalwood shaving cream, I decided to give it a go. I was not very good....

It could have been a combination of being new and the cheap blades. Maybe I just really had no idea what i was doing. Whatever it was the results were awful. I looked, and felt, like I took a cheese grater to my face. Blood everywhere. Face felt it was on fire. What did I do wrong? I was told my blade angle was off. I adjusted and got the same result. Then one day I received a care package from Gonzo. An assortment of soaps and blades, a brush, an aftershave balm. While loading one of the newly acquired blades (a Shark I believe) I realized that the TTO mechanism on my razor wasn't closing all the way. Yup, I was trying to shave without closing the razor head completely which meant the blade wasn't being flexed. Therefore, I couldn't obtain the proper angle on my face. Once that little mistake was discovered it's been a world of difference. I still have my good days and bad days, and there's still a lot to learn, but it's been a definite improvement.

So what I would like to do here is chronicle the learning experience, and hopefully gain some insight from anyone willing to offer up any advice.

Looking forward to sharing with everyone. Sorry for the extra long post!

Tonight I went with the Fatboy, a Personna blade, and TOS sandalwood cream. Mixed results...I'm getting much better at getting a closer shave, but at the cost of razor burn and bumps. I went 2x WTG, 1x XTG, and 1x ATG on the entire face. Had a few weepers tonight but nothing a quick touch with the styptic couldn't tame. Still having trouble with the neck, but getting better. I did have to take a few extra passes with and across the grain on the neck to get it close, but I feel like I'm making progress. Overall my razor burn and bumps tonight are worse than they have been for the last week, but the shave is closer.

IMG_3686.jpg
The Fatboy, mug, and Kingsley badger brushIMG_3686.jpg IMG_3688.jpg IMG_3689.jpg
IMG_3688.jpg
blade and soap assortment
IMG_3689.jpg
After shave balm

Everything but the mug and razor were courtesy of @GonzoMadness44. He really hooked up an eager noob!

Everyone needs a few toys to start out with... Now if you'll excuse me, I need to make an irrational purchase to fill that void:)
Trust the process!

I have noticed recently that many of our newest wetshavers are having problems with their routine after reading the forums,watching the Mantic videos, and obtaining the equipment. What follows is some general guidelines that should help make the transition much smoother(pun intended!).

a. Preparation is the key. Focus here and the majority of your shaves will improve.

b. Find out which direction your hair grows in- then the terms WTG,XTG, and ATG will actually mean something to you.

c. Variety is not your friend(at this time.) Find out what works and stick with it-which leads to...

d. Use 1 razor, 1 blade(type), 1 brush, 1 cream/soap for 1 month. This allows you to focus on your technique and will help us, your forum mates, to provide pinpoint advice if you are having/developing problems. Switching too many variables when starting out will only retard the learning process.

e. Do not concern yourself with BBS shaves in the beginning-they will come. Your goal should be comfortable,presentable shaves; this leads us to....

f. When starting out, 1-2 passes WTG are sufficient. You should not be adding XTG or ATG when your face has not even become accustomed to what you are doing yet. Once your face has adjusted, then add 1 different type pass to your routine-and only 1. Then if problems occur, you will know from whence they came.

g. Be patient- you have been shaving badly for a long time and we know you want results and right now. However, it takes time to unlearn bad habits-so give yourself the time. Eventually the things you have read will make sense and you will obtain the BBS shaves.

h. Finally, don't take things so seriously and beat yourself up because your shaves are worse. They will improve as your technique does and as your understanding of how your face responds to the new routine being applied. And finally....

i. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!(of course you knew that phrase would be in here-wait until you really understand what it means!) Now that we have you as part of the collective , we expect you to pass on the knowledge you have gained-positive and negative. It will help those who come after.

Hope this helps.:biggrin:

Marty

After reading the post quoted above, I realize I have already made many mistakes. Too many blade manufacturer changes, shouldn't be trying to get a BBS shave just yet, shouldn't be doing anything but 1-2 passes WTG at this point....my question now is, when do I get to do all that fun stuff?!?!

Welcome to the journals!

I am new myself and made the switch in November. What setting is your Fatboy at? On my Slim, I started mine on 1. Next shave on 2, etc and ended staying at 4.

Patience today and fun stuff tomorrow :001_rolle

Oh and beware the enablers.

Thanks @MilkCrate! I started with the adjustment on 1 and wasn’t getting a close shave at all. When I was done I pretty much looked like I used electric trimmers on the shortest setting. I continued on that setting for about a week or 2 until I got the hang of the blade angle and then bumped up to 5. Much closer now, but still not BBS. But, like I said, after reading the sticky quoted in my last post I realize I should still be going for better technique. The rest will come....I hope

my question now is, when do I get to do all that fun stuff?!?!

Average U.S. male life expectancy is 78.7 years. Deduct your current age, and multiply by 52. Multiply that by how many times a week you shave, and that's how many shaves you have left to play with!

In all honesty, I understand. I was lucky to get my shaves very good very quickly, so I could start trying and enjoying different products. I landed on my number one blade (Feather) within the first few weeks.

Haha so you're saying soon @WildWest74? I'll get there eventually. But I get the idea behind not changing everything around all at once. Impossible to narrow down what you're doing wrong or what aspect isn't working for you.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Proraso Red so I think I'm going to use that tomorrow. I'll keep everything else the same and see how it goes...stayed tuned

Used the Proraso red today and I have to say I was pretty impressed...well as impressed as a newbie that doesn't really know any better can be.
Today's routine:
Pre: Hot shower
Shave: Proraso Red, Astra Superior Platinum blade, Gillette Fatboy. 2 WTG passes, 1 XTG pass. 1 ATG pass on 2 areas of the neck just under the jaw line.
Post: Styptic on 2 weepers and a nick, alum, Stirling Soap Co aftershave balm.
I feel like I have less irritation on my face for sure but everything under the jaw line is still giving me problems. Almost as close of a shave above the jaw line as the last shave, but without doing an ATG pass...so that feel likes progress. Probably shouldn't have done the ATG pass on the 2 spots on the neck, but the stubble there was really bothering me...I need better self control with that!
IMG_3706.jpg IMG_3705.jpg

Stevey, don't worry about the mistakes. You now have an idea(or two) about what is working and what causes problems. Focus on what is working for you and stick with that.

marty

Proraso is a good solid base for finding your technique and the best blade combo for your razor. Good luck with the continued progress!

Thanks @WildWest74! I do have one other thing that I've forgotten to mention and ask about though. The razor I'm using is very old (1961 Fatboy) and it seems that something might be off with the head of the razor or with the TTO mechanism. When closed with a blade loaded, one side is noticeably more aggressive than the other. The side with the red notch that indicates what level of aggressiveness you're set to seems to be the milder side, so instead of switching back and forth I just shave with that side. Almost like using SE razor. Is this something that is common with older TTO Gillettes that is easily corrected? Is it something I even need to worry about if I'm not concerned with the resale value of the razor? (I'll never get rid of it, it was my grandfather's)

Top Bottom