Razor: Razo Rock Game Changer.84
Soap: Arko
Scuttle: Captains choice
Strop: NA
Brush: OZ Shaving Silver Snow
AS/EdT: Rich’s Mongoose
Sound track: None

Comments:
It’s been a long time since I’ve posted a shave and figure I ought to still check in on my friends from time to time. I’ve been off of straights for a spell following surgery and subsequent rehab. I long for a return, but in the meantime I picked up this sweet razor!

The Hardware: The .84 plate in this razor seems to have made a huge difference with people who have the previous .68 version. I have an old plate but have only used it for a couple of shaves. The fit and finish of the razor is astonishing! It seems to work very well with the Gillette Silver Blue.

The Software: Arko is a good solid performer and the addition of a bit of WS-23 sets the stage for a great cooling Lather. I used a clump about the size of a peanut and it dissolved readilyband didn’t seem to affect the Lather at all

The Shave: The cooling effect started rather quickly and was more intense than I anticipated. Perhaps a bit too much cooling agent. Well, sommuch for randomly using clumps! Face felt chilled for 30 minutes post shave! Three passes to DFS. Mongoose is great as usual. (Hmmmm. Additional chill to a saturated menthol solution?)

Respectfully Submitted,
Rich

Yup. KJ made that backdrop for me at Christmas! He woodburned it by hand!
All the SafetyCat’s are still about keeping the Murphy’s at Bay.

View attachment 956987
Razor: Razo Rock Game Changer.84
Soap: Arko
AS/EdT: Rich’s Mongoose

Comments:
It’s been a long time since I’ve posted a shave and figure I ought to still check in on my friends from time to time. I’ve been off of straights for a spell following surgery and subsequent rehab. I long for a return, but in the meantime I picked up this sweet razor!

The Hardware: The .84 plate in this razor seems to have made a huge difference with people who have the previous .68 version. I have an old plate but have only used it for a couple of shaves. The fit and finish of the razor is astonishing! It seems to work very well with the Gillette Silver Blue.

The Software: Arko is a good solid performer and the addition of a bit of WS-23 sets the stage for a great cooling Lather. I used a clump about the size of a peanut and it dissolved readilyband didn’t seem to affect the Lather at all

The Shave: The cooling effect started rather quickly and was more intense than I anticipated. Perhaps a bit too much cooling agent. Well, sommuch for randomly using clumps! Face felt chilled for 30 minutes post shave! Three passes to DFS. Mongoose is great as usual. (Hmmmm. Additional chill to a saturated menthol solution?)

Respectfully Submitted,
Rich
Nice shave description I agree about the. 84 GC. Great razor

Razor: Razo Rock Game Changer.84 / GSB(14)
Soap: A&E Grecian Horse
AS/EdT: A&E Grecian Horse

Comments:
A sunny Monday shave as I prepare for another consult following hand surgery, hopefully the last. Not a lot to report other than bringing in the A&E for a try with the Superlather solution. I did record this shave for my vlog, but I was unhappy with the format having the iPad in a vertical orientation I'll probably not post it.

The Hardware: I think I kind of understand the difference between the .68 and .84 plates on the GameChanger. It seems to me that the .64 has a much smaller window of angles where it is at it's most efficient at whisker removal. The .84 seems to be more forgiving in this respect, making it easier (by a lot) to get a better result. While there is indeed more blade feel, it is not enough that it should make any difference. The Cashmere knot of the Oz brush really likes to load this soap.

The Software: Ariana and Evans Grecian Horse has a reputation of good performance and great fragrance. It doesn't disappoint on either point. It responds quite well to the water and glycerine solution to produce a spectacular glossy lather with outstanding slickness and residuals. The A/S is quite cologne like in it's strength and fragrance. I should smell nice all morning. I probably wouldn't recommend this for summer wear, but that's just my take.

The Shave: Coasted in to an easy DFS in three passes. The GSB is hanging in there. Last shave's perception of edge degradation changed when I flipped the blade over. Probably will be able to get several more shaves out of it.

Respectfully Submitted,
Rich

IMG_1804.JPG

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
So, if it's not too personal, what's up with the surgery?
You seem to me missing a finger from your left hand in the pic. :yikes:

Thankfully I’m still sporting all 10 fingers! I had surgery to repair a childhood injury to my right hand, and the rexedumacation of that hand is taking a lot longer than I would like. The Doctor today said it’s healing great and I’m doing great with therapy. It’s more a confidence problem now.

Razor: Torry 6/8 "Our 136" Razo Rock Game Changer.84 / GSB(15)
Soap: CBL The Shaving Cadre (+WS-23)

Strop:
Brush: Serrantino Legacy Tuxedo
AS/EdT: Pinauld Citrus Musk

Comments:
For cryin out loud! Why can't Winter just go away and leave me be?! After a successful meeting with the Doctor yesterday, I am making a tentative re-entry into the world of open blades. I've tried off and on over the past 6 months with limited success owing to finger strength issues. February was a big month for improvement and I try again.

The Hardware: I feel much more confident with my hand strength, but feel very tentative with the blade in hand. Most likely owing to being quite rusty and using muscles that haven't been used for this purpose in a long time, or ever. The Torrey seems pretty tuggy so I will run it across the stones (another activity I've not tried in quite a while) to freshen up the edge. One pass and I bring out the Game Changer to complete the shave.

The Software: CBL Soaps are super great for cushion and lubricity. Today is no exception and with the addition of glycerine to the lathering water, it creates an exceptional lather for the shave. Today's dose of WS-23, while adding some chill was not enough to satisfy my 'need for chill'

The Shave: Did a single pass with the Torrey and then bailed for the DE. I will probably follow this regimen for a while until my confidence returns before doing whole shaves. I will probably lean on the Feather SS whilest rehabbing my Swedes for return to action.

Respectfully Submitted,
Rich

Razor: Feather AC SS / Pro-Touch Colonial General / ProGuard
Soap: WSP Gaelic Tweed (+WS-23)
Strop:
Brush: Red Baron Blood Knot
AS/EdT: WSP Gaelic Tweed

Comments:
Second of my series of doing the opening pass with an open blade. The SS with a new blade is a sure way to develop some confidence and achieve quick reduction. I actually inadvertently grabbed the SS on a subsequent pass just out of reflex. I must be on my way! The addition of WS-23 to the soap added a dimension of chill that was quite refreshing.

The Hardware: Tonights hardware was specifically selected to be my easy-to-use lineup. With a fresh Feather blade, there's nothing to distract from working on my technique and building my confidence.

Software:
Sometimes this particular soap's fragrance leave me feeling a bit flat, but with a dose of WS-23, it added a dimension that I really enjoyed. There's no denying the performance when it's lathered right. It did appear a bit thin on my face, but it was plenty slick and had quite adequate residual slickness

The Shave: The Feather SS is a standard in my lineup and it's pass went completely without incident. I even picked it back up on a later pass just out of habit. I think just a short while and I will be adding more passes before doing full shaves with the open blade.

Respectfully Submitted,
Rich

2D3050E0-833E-4D11-9691-68A2BCDA2673.jpeg
Razor: Feather AC SS / Pro-Touch Gillette Short Comb
Soap: Lisa's Smoked Black Tea
Strop:
Brush: Maggard Synthetic
AS/EdT: Alpa Fougere

Comments: Despite some recent acquisitions I was to get blessing on a tub of Lisa's soap. SWMBO was interested in the skin food aspect. I am facing the hopeful resolution of my frozen shoulder in two weeks, still in perusing YouTube it looks like a ghastly procedure!

The Hardware: I'm not sure if I've used this razor before as it has some black schmutz in a couple places that I certainly wouldn't allow to accumulate, so a quick treatment of Scrubbing Bubbles does the trick. This razor seems pretty efficient and comfortable. I like it very much. It was assembled from a parts lot I got some time ago. My belief is it comes from the 30'2 or 40's given the handle it's sporting. (I had a couple of extras and sent one to NurseDave for Christmas) Very distinctive with the brass/copper construction.

Software: This soap smells really nice! In use, it is good to excellent, but it has really great post slickness and I can tell it is very moisturizing without feeling sticky like some products that have a lot of fats in them. Lisa nailed it with this base!

The Shave: I will be adding a second pass with the Feather in a couple of weeks. The first pass went great and the soap was quite conducive to use with an open blade. I made the lather a bit on the soupy side for extra slickness. The DE passes proved the razor to be of average aggressiveness but quite efficient. I guess the old guys knew how to build a razor to get the most out of the blades they had. With modern blades, these old razors are pretty darned good! Finished with Alpa Fougere, and as the blurb went on the site I bought it from "winner winner chicken dinner" it's good stuff!

Razor: Torrey 6/8 shoulderless Schick M (2)
Soap: Chiseled Face Trade Winds
Strop: Illinois Strop Co HorseHide (100) / Fire Hose (100)
Brush: Sterling Kong Synthetic
AS/EdT: Rich's DFET Bay Rum
Talc: Clubman

Comments:
Introducing a second pass with an actual straight to my shave as my confidence returns. Although I sensed my strength of grip fading a bit I got through the passes with no problems. SafetyKitten Noel warned me of Mr.M coming so I switched to the Schick M to finish out the shave. I'll need to work on hand strength more before increasing my passes beyond this for a little while. A possible thing is i did struggle with fatigue while stropping. Perhaps if I strop and then rest a while before shaving it would be more steady in the grip. I grudgingly face the possibility of having to fall back to DE and SE shaving if I fail to improve.

The Hardware: I ran this and a couple other razors over the Coti yesterday. A full slurry to water progression. Significant swarf with all the participants. I got me a mess of honing to do! The Torrey was markedly better this time than last, but not as tug-free as the Feather, but that is to be expected. I did do a lot of extra laps on the strop prior to this shave and possible contributed to fatigue and trouble with the fine control. Switched out to the Schick as soon as I detected shakiness. (and from a warning from SafetyKitten Noel)

Software: No denying the performance of CF soaps. A small snurdle yielded a great shiny lather for all passes with enough for the rest of the neighborhood.

The Shave: Confidence with the Open Blade is increasing but I must temper my confidence with knowledge that I still can't grip the blade in a conventional manner. This increases fatigue and the risk of a nasty incident. Today was quite encouraging with the Torrey and I have a couple of my beloved KT's on deck at the stones. These will take a bit longer to get to a good edge on them but I am anxious to get them against my face soon. Their narrow gauge is holding them back as I fear they may twist and release precious bodily fluids due to this unconventional grip.

Razor: 6/8 Beaujeu Dumontel "Barbe Dure" (Thiers) Colonial General (Aluminum)
Soap: WSP Gaelic Tweed
Brush: Sterling Badger Fan
AS/EdT: WSP Garlic Tweed

Comments:
This was a dedicated Saint Patrick's day shave, but I ran into technical difficulties when it came to recording it. I must have gotten confused on which button meant record and which one meant pause, because when I went to edit the video, I had beautiful footage of my cleanup and post shave routines that I rarely record. So.... you guys got a great video of no shaving! LOL. We had a visit from two safety cats. Noel who meowed fitfully during the whole shave, and Mittens who stood stoic as usual, until something more interesting came along.

The Hardware: The BD shows some signs that is becoming a theme with my razors. It needs a quick trip across the stones to be ready for showtime. I need to lap my Jnat for this purpose, or perhaps shop around for a Trans Ark just for touch ups. The Jnat is a hand sized stone so is quite convenient for water only laps. The Colonial General, is.... Well A Colonial General and does just as it's supposed to.
I'm seeing a bit of what Josh is talking about these Sterling Fan Badgers. This was it's first lather and it needs a few shaves to get it's splay on and soften up. I'll do a few hand lathers and it will soon be ready for action.

The Shave: The BD went two passes with mostly no problems, save a bit of tugging from it's need for a touch-up. Three and a clean-up and I'm at DFS no problems. The General came in and saved the day, save for a little strawberry patch on the jawline. This soap and A/S pretty good stuff. The EdT is pretty good too, except the spritzer likes to hose you down with each pump. I guess it's a holdover from the 80's when kids used to hose themselves down with whatever fragrance they chose. Like Drakkar or Polo, and arrive 15 minutes before they got there.

Razor: 6/8 Kikuboshi shoulderless
Soap: CBL Harvest Oud
AS/EdT: Alpa Fougere

Comments:
Happy Days my brothers! I did a whole three passes with a straight! This is something of a milestone as it's been nearly six months since I've been able to do it. Granted there is still a little ring rust, but as I keep after it, I hope to improve and get even better shaves. Today was no slouch though. I ran this razor over the stones, stropped it 100 each on firehose then horsehide, then 50 each just pre-shave. It's about as keen as I know how to make it. Even with the hollow grind and two days of beard, there was minimal singing. Tomorrow I'm going in to get my shoulder worked over. While the material I've been able to find says I'll be out of commission for a minimal amount of time, I can't help but feel a bit of trepidation. I've made several entries in my Blog that were pretty a disturbing and comforting at the same time. BUT I'll probably not be able to shave for a couple days with a limp fish of an arm dangling there. Perhaps I'll get a friend to take me over to my barber Mr. Hickman to give me a shave. That would be a great treat!

The Hardware: Holy Crap! I really got an edge on this one! It didn't even sing as usual when it encounters whiskers. There was a bit of a crunch sound, but no feednback and it was an easy smooth shave! I must have been storing honing mojo in my inactive period. The Sterling just keeps getting better and better! I figure after 5 or 6 shaves it will have blossomed to it's full size and will be well into break-in.

The Shave: The shave went far better than I hoped. The plan was to do two passes and then clean up with a DE. But I was having such a good time I just did the whole thing with the Kikuboshi. It's big enough to not twist as my hand gets tired, and sharp enough to split a second. Three passes and a cleanup and I dry down to a DFS+/ BBS- just as I used to routinely do before all this hand nonsense started cropping up. I still don't have any idea what pairs with the Harvest oud not Roasted Oatmeal Stout, so defaulted to Fougere. Can't hardly go wrong there.

IMG_E1917.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Razor: 6/8 Radium Thiers (Swedish Steel)

Soap: Pre deProvence 63
AS/EdT: Pre de Provence 63

Comments:
I don't think anyone was more surprised to see me lining up for a shave than me and the SafetyCats. Yet, there I stood, Ar out of it's protective sling and teh naked steel ready to do battle with whiskers. Yesterday I underwent a Manipulation under Anesthesia procedure at the orthopedic doctors hospital. The procedure itself was a breeze, I slept through it. They did ask me to count down so I started singing "A Space Oddity" Ground control to Major Tom etc.. I dont think I made it to lift off. Apparently it's only like a 10 minute procedure so I was done pretty quick. We went to my Mom in Law's house where I lay down to nap (obviously still anesthetized ) so Mama had to pour me into the car for the post operative physical therapy that I have only vague memories of. Fast forward, I slept in my recliner all night and didnt even wake to pee as usual. i as one sleepy boy I guess. This morning the anesthesia had worn off and my shoulder was a little stiff, but better than it had ben for qite a while. !I decided to have a shave to celebrate

The Hardware: This blade has a "B" shaped blade fault (Kind of smiling and frowning at the same time. It would take a lot of material to remove and make it right) I am loathe to repair as it is so keen. Once again three terriffic passes

The Shave: The shave went far better than I hoped. The plan was to do two passes and then clean up with a DE. But I was having such a good time I just did the whole thing with the Kikuboshi. It's big enough to not twist as my hand gets tired, and sharp enough to split a second. Three passes and a cleanup and I dry down to a DFS+/ BBS- just as I used to routinely do before all this hand nonsense started cropping up. I still don't have any idea what pairs with the Harvest oud not Roasted Oatmeal Stout, so defaulted to Fougere. Can't hardly go wrong there.

Top Bottom