What's new

Start your grinders! Gold Dollar Mod Competition starts May 1st!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I am SOOOOO disappointed!!!! There was this supplier close to my house that had all kinds of exotic fancy wood available. Amboyna, ebony, bubinga, wenge, teak, mallee, cocobolo, you name it and they pretty much had it. I went down to my dad's today to make a few more misc. parts for my kitchen and asked him if they were still open. He told me that they had closed and moved the shop to NC. :censored:

Scales dont have to be wood. Acrylic works nicely. There is horn, bone, homebrew micarta type laminates, all sorts of stuf. Even ivory. Know where there are any old pianos? I do really like a nice piece of ebony for scales, tho.

Scales dont have to be wood. Acrylic works nicely. There is horn, bone, homebrew micarta type laminates, all sorts of stuf. Even ivory. Know where there are any old pianos? I do really like a nice piece of ebony for scales, tho.
Yeah, I know. It was just nice having them close by where you could actually look at the wood you were buying and have so many exotic grains and species to choose from. Also was thinking of a couple other projects as well.

Got my new grinder today, should whip a GD66 into shape, in, oh, about 10 seconds.

Petrol-Angle-Grinder-YP-P02-.jpg

I've been looking forward to this :clap:
Any updates on the rules this year? There's some new Gold dollars are those fair game?

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Any updates on the rules this year? There's some new Gold dollars are those fair game?
That's a good question, Mikael. What did they change on the new gold dollars?

Legion

Staff member
I don't see why not, though I think the new ones might be more expensive. Might not be worth the extra cost if you are going to grind them into different shapes anyway.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets

They are still Gold Dollars. However, I think you can do a lot more creative work on a good old fashion #66, myself.

Those new ones actually look like Seraphim's work, to me. I think someone is testing our credibility.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Do the new gold dollars have French points or thumb notches, or are they shaped like the # 66?

Yes there is a few different types. They're not the traditional GD shape. I haven't tried one yet. So I can't really tell if they're just modified gold dollars or if they have made some completely new models.

Guess time will tell. I have a couple in the mail.

Can you give us a hint??
Sure. I want to grind the radius down on the back of the spine making it flat. Then radius out the toe, and the heel with the heel grind getting up into the tang. Then a small radius on the top of the tang sort of like a finger grip.

Then just some detail smoothing and polishing. Not sure on the scales yet. Going to see how the blade turns out first.

DSC_0126.JPG

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Sounds wicked. I like it. But I do hope you thin the spine and tang, enough to make that thing shave like the devil himself made it.

Sounds wicked. I like it. But I do hope you thin the spine and tang, enough to make that thing shave like the devil himself made it.
I may thin the spine a little. I want to give it a quick and dirty "bevel" to see how it reacts on the stones, then I can kind of go from there.

As far as the tang, I think I am going to leave it as is other than doing just enough to remove the stamp and maybe thin the tail a little. My reasoning for leaving it thick is with the top and bottom radius cuts, I think it may get too short. If it is short and thin, it may be awkward to hold while shaving.

If I do thin the spine, I will just do some creative blending to help with the transition to the thicker tang.

Top Bottom