What's new

Sta-Sharp in ebony

Hi all,

It took me quite some time, but finally my first rescale is done! :w00t: It's a 5/8 Sta-Sharp, bought from member FiveOhNine here on B&B.
This is how it originally looked: (middle one)
proxy.php

But I didn't really like the look of the original scales, so I hooked her up with something a little more modern. :001_cool:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Ebony scales finished with Tung oil, brass hardware and an orange acrylic wedge. (thanks to B&B member Freedom for the pins and wedge!)
I'm really pleased with how it turned out for my first time! I'ld still like to polish the blade as it has some minor stains, but since I don't have a buffer myself, I'll have to find someone who can help me with it.

Pics could be better, but I didn't want to wait until tomorrow to post this :blushing:
Comments welcome!

Last edited:
Looks great the peening is immaculate aswell. On a side note what are the original scales like they look interesting?

Now that's two people I have coaxed into trying black and orange, it has a strange elegance to it :p

Looks great the peening is immaculate aswell.

Now that's two people I have coaxed into trying black and orange, it has a strange elegance to it :p

Yeah, I know someone else has done it already, but I really liked it :blushing: I'm a sucker for black + another bright color, my motorcycle is black with a few bright red details.

Peening is done with a poor man's ball-end hammer: a spoon! Worked perfectly. Original scales are celluloid, but look much more yellow IRL.

Last edited:
let me get this straight; this is your first time doing a rescale and they came out like the above pics?!?!

you're a magician! :thumbup:

Thanks for the nice comments guys :001_smile Apparently I put a very tiny chip at the toe of the blade while pinning it, because I'm pretty sure it wasn't there before. :sad: Though it shouldn't be any problem to take it out while honing, you really have to look carefully for it to see it.
Took another picture, which shows some more detail in the scales.

proxy.php

Btw, the only time I used sandpaper, was to taper the wedge, all the other stuff is done with files, planes, scraping and some steel whool!

Last edited:
Top Bottom