What's new

SRD Strops

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
I thought that I would like the 3" but have been using 2 1/2" for so long, I've found that I prefer the 2 1/2". I also prefer 2" hones so maybe it's just personal preference.
Same here, I much prefer 2 1/2" strops. I think I'd even like a 2" strop but I've never owned one so it's hard to say.

So, to the original question, yes the SRD 3" is a good strop. The strop is well made and will last more than a lifetime. I have one and it works well.

I thought that I would like the 3" but have been using 2 1/2" for so long, I've found that I prefer the 2 1/2". I also prefer 2" hones so maybe it's just personal preference.

I am just the opposite. I have been using a 3 inch since I started. I think that I wouldn't have any problems with a 2.5, but 3 is what I am used to. I doubt there is really any difference in results, just technique.

If you are really on a tight budget I would contact Tony Miller at the "Well Shaved Gentlemen" and inquire about his 2 1/2" plain chocolate strops, they are currently not in stock but I am sure Tony could take care of you with something, the plain chocolate runs about $55 and I am sure you could swap out the cotton for linen and have a truly top quality strop.

Well the budget is really not that tight. This would be on a list for my parents, my wife, and my in-laws. They all much prefer to get people many small gifts rather than just one big gift. I could go higher end, but to be honest I don't know that I will even notice a difference in my shave. Or enough of a difference to make it worth while. I want to get something nice, rather than a no name ebay/amazon strop. Something that will last me a while at least. I figured the bridle leather was a step up from the latigo that I have. With out having to custom order the strop, it is something that they would consider. I doubt any of them, my wife included, would consider if they had to custom order something. I appreciate all the input though. Maybe I will hold off and just purchase something on my own.

Well the budget is really not that tight. This would be on a list for my parents, my wife, and my in-laws. They all much prefer to get people many small gifts rather than just one big gift. I could go higher end, but to be honest I don't know that I will even notice a difference in my shave. Or enough of a difference to make it worth while. I want to get something nice, rather than a no name ebay/amazon strop. Something that will last me a while at least. I figured the bridle leather was a step up from the latigo that I have. With out having to custom order the strop, it is something that they would consider. I doubt any of them, my wife included, would consider if they had to custom order something. I appreciate all the input though. Maybe I will hold off and just purchase something on my own.

If you get one from Tony Miller, AFrames or Scruppleworks it's not really custom ordering, with Tony it's hit and miss on what he has available so it's best to just send him an email and commit to buy and when it's made he will invoice you thru paypal, Takeshi with AFrames has what he has on his site and Kanayama's go pretty quickly then there are months and months of waiting, Torolf with Scruppleworks is the same as Tony but with Torolf you tell him what you want and he tells you how much and where to send and in a few weeks you have your strop.

If you get one from Tony Miller, AFrames or Scruppleworks it's not really custom ordering, with Tony it's hit and miss on what he has available so it's best to just send him an email and commit to buy and when it's made he will invoice you thru paypal, Takeshi with AFrames has what he has on his site and Kanayama's go pretty quickly then there are months and months of waiting, Torolf with Scruppleworks is the same as Tony but with Torolf you tell him what you want and he tells you how much and where to send and in a few weeks you have your strop.

Ya it's custom enough for the people who would be ordering it though haha. They are not the most capable at ordering and they know nothing about strops. It needs to be something that is always there, doesn't need to be made to order, and accepts payments in American funds, and doesn't need paypal.

Ya it's custom enough for the people who would be ordering it though haha. They are not the most capable at ordering and they know nothing about strops. It needs to be something that is always there, doesn't need to be made to order, and accepts payments in American funds, and doesn't need paypal.

Dan, you most likely should wait then to order it yourself then, I have dealt with all the Vendors I mentioned and it's been a 100% positive experience and the strops received are all exceptional.

My Jager Barber Supply strop came with a treated suede back strop. I cleaned it up & have used it for about 5 years & never had any edge damage. On the back untreated side I have treated it with .50 diamond spray from SRD.
You have to be using way to much pressure to damage a edge on a suede strop I think & you shouldn't shave after it till you strop on a smooth strop. I usually do 50 laps on my Koken shell then 50 on the smoother Jager shell & if the honing job is good the razors shave like a dream.

Top Bottom