What's new

SR shave reports (probably do my first dozen IDK)

Shave 1!
Summary: I need advice on the grip and making the transition from one side to the other side of my face

Alright so after staring at my blade for an hour and grumbling because I didn't have any of my other desired accessories, I pulled out my old DE soaps, brush, and mug and took the advice of a B&B to strop with my belt 🤣

Blade: 11/16 Square Della Bella
Brush: Probably a synthetic (Van Der Hagen brush)
Soap: Cremo cooling shaving creme (more on that)

Finding a way to attach a belt to strop to was a bit of a challenge however I was able to make something work out. Fortunately for me, the SR had already passed the hair test before stropping. Once that was out of the way I realized my one large pitfall. The Cremo has no lather capabilities whatsoever :facep:I made something work by applying it extra wet and brushing it on rather aggressively. Sweet. The first obstacle passed, now the shaving.

The grip really began to show the most struggle for me. I did what I thought I saw others do, point and middle finger on top of the shank and thumb close to the heel. The other issue I realized is maintaining the proper angle as I would continue to lower the blade angle to almost 15... and all it would do at the point is resist. I also couldn't really find an appropriate way to shave the left side of my face. Do you swap hands or always have your arm in front of your face?

All in all, I actually feel proud of my shave. I was able to get a WTH and ATH shave with a few catches but I blame the lack of a proper soap more than anything else.

Definitely can't wait to SR2 and hopefully by then more the new supplies will come in from amazon

Feedback is absolutely appreciated! I would love to hear what people do to make sure they keep that 30-40 degree angle with their blade

Ps:
I also post-shave stropped, oiled with razor oil, and set the blade to rest. I didn't state this previously but I thought I would share in case people worried

I wish I could tell you what I did to keep that angle... its just natural for me now and I dont even have to think about it.

I would just suggest that you take all the time in the world to shave... that way you can focus on the angle, etc. I know when I first started, it was not uncommon for me to take an hour to shave from step 1 to final step in the whole shaving process.

Come to think of it, taking it slow must have been the key for me, as that is what I am doing now while learning how to shave with a kamisori... I need to focus on the angle (different then western grinds), so I go slloooooowwwww.

Good luck, and keep it up! Dont let any set backs get in your way... just keep at it! You will find in time you, also, wont have to think about it, and will just shave!

As far as the grip goes, you must stop overthinking it. It’s natural to look at the pictures and try to replicate.

Use the grip you feel is appropriate and then concentrate on angle and pressure. The grip will follow naturally until...until you start to concentrate on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as the grip goes, you must stop overthinking it. It’s natural to look at the pictures and try to replicate.

Use the grip you feel is appropriate and then concentrate on angle and pressure. The grip will follow naturally until...until you start to concentrate on it.

funny enough, once I got a little more understanding of the blade it cut easier than any DE blade I have used. If I think of it like my old safety razors Ill probably be fine. It's just now the razor is 3" long 🤣

I switch hands when I move from the right side of my face to the left side.

As far as angle, just put it against your face and then move it off the face a little. You should be cutting down and not scraping the face. You will soon figure out the angle that efficiently cuts the hairs. It's holding the sides of the razor closer to your face than you might initially think is correct.

Stirling advise

May 12th I should have my strop and soaps so I'll wait until then to do SR#2

good luck.

I'll be 13 consecutive shaves in tomorrow. it begins to become quite natural......and before I over thought it.....I started out using both left and right hand knowing/reading that this has been an issue for some later on. at this point I dont know if I could shave with only using my right!!!

first couple shaves I was slow but now I'm up to the same time as when I used an SE.......but i take it slow and drink some coffee between passes.

enjoy and good luck on your journey.

there is nothing like the feel of old steel, especially with my wade and butcher.......this mornings shave felt smooth and familiar (I really think I should have been born in a different time period lol.)

camo

good luck.

I'll be 13 consecutive shaves in tomorrow. it begins to become quite natural......and before I over thought it.....I started out using both left and right hand knowing/reading that this has been an issue for some later on. at this point I dont know if I could shave with only using my right!!!

first couple shaves I was slow but now I'm up to the same time as when I used an SE.......but i take it slow and drink some coffee between passes.

enjoy and good luck on your journey.

there is nothing like the feel of old steel, especially on my wade and butcher.......this mornings shave felt smooth and familiar (I really think I should have been born in a different time period lol.)

camo
Yeah, my SR cut gave me one of the smoothest shaves I have had in a long time and I only did a double pass! Only problem will be when I finally get to 3 passes, I wouldn't be shaving as frequently 🤣

Yeah, my SR cut gave me one of the smoothest shaves I have had in a long time and I only did a double pass! Only problem will be when I finally get to 3 passes, I wouldn't be shaving as frequently 🤣

that's a legitimate delima. that's why I only do 2 1/2 passes!!!!

camo

half a pass? could you clarify?

I do one WTG and one AGT. the 1/2 is clean up in problem areas and playing with soap.

I have it easy though. I always have a stache and goatee......though I honestly dont think it would be that hard to hit those areas too. difficult in some areas......but not a lot of real estate.

camo

I do one WTG and one AGT. the 1/2 is clean up in problem areas and playing with soap.

I have it easy though. I always have a stache and goatee......though I honestly dont think it would be that hard to hit those areas too. difficult in some areas......but not a lot of real estate.

camo
Don't underestimate the fool's pass. Certainly, my most hesitant cut pulling a razor up my lip to my nostril ATH

camo
Try it sometime :)

Top Bottom