What's new

Spreading the word posts

Well I just made a few posts on another forum I visit on the merits of wetshaving. I invite you to critique it so that I can improve it and help others convert.

I aimed to give a basic background, some of my previous excuses along with the answers I have found or discovered and my current setup with my routine.

---------------------------

Hey guys,
I know that this has been the subject of a few threads, but I really wish to promote the amount that old school shaving with a double edge safety razor has helped me.

I know there are a few of you out there that are leathernecks and can dryshave with a broken beer bottle, but there are those of us out here that cant. So I would like it if the leathernecks could stay out of this.

I have been shaving like most of you with a mach3 and a canned foam for most of my shaving life. I have ALWAYS had issues shaving my neck. Especially right at the bottom where the hair grows in all manner of ways. For this reason I have been living with pretty much constant shaving rash and ingrown hairs in this area.

After some study and some enthusiastic results on here I discovered mantic's videos:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59
and a shaving slash generally old school manliness forum:
http://www.badgerandblade.com/

So I finally dived in and bought a razor, a few blades, a brush and some proper shaving cream. I did my first shave with it and the result was horrific. Clearly the worst shave rash and lot of ingrown hairs I have had in my life.
I went straight to the boards and discovered the likely culprit was using way too much pressure.

Now about to hit my 4th week of DE shaving, I am having the most comfortable, closest shaves of my life with least amount of irritation. However thats almost not the best bit. I LIKE shaving now. I dont find it an drag or one of those necessary evils. I like waking up, putting on some music, deciding what cream I am going to use and just having some relaxing time to myself. I then feel great as I realise I have had a great shave and that generally continues me into the day.

So this is coming from someone who has tried both types of electric shavers, pretty much all the available blades at woolies from the disposable yellow handle bic's to the 5 blade monstrosities.

I really do suggest, that those people who are having issues shaving, take the plunge and give it a go. I have yet to hear one person on badger and blade that has just given up and gone back to shaving with canned foam and a disposable razor.

-------------

A couple of excuses I used before I leaped into DE shaving were:

E1. It costs too much.
A1. Sure it looks like it costs a lot to get in, with the Merkur HD (A common starting razor) going for ~$70 in stores, plus the cost of brushes and new blades and soaps. But to start with, I bought my entire set brand new for about $110AU delivered from the US. You could surely get a better deal with the good exchange rate now.

Secondly, while this seems a lot you can cut down in some areas by trailing other peoples soaps and creams and picking up a second hand razor from your grandpa (free) or the second hand store ($10?).

Thirdly you have to realise that this stuff lasts for ever and the stuff that doesn't is really really cheap. My Merkur HD is solid and will probably outlive me, $15 tub of TOBS Avocado cream should last me 6months plus. My brush should last me a few years at least and the disposable blades cost me all of ~20c each. Compare this to $15 for a pack of 4 mach3 heads every month or 2 and the associated creams and over time the cost will swing in the DE razor favour.

E2. It looks hard
A2. Sure, it has a learning curve, but im sure so did your first shave. And you once again have the thrill of trying something new and seeing improvements. Plus, there is a fantastic community from mantic's videos that would pretty much step you through each stage to the B&B forums, that has a fantastic community that keeps you going during the first few hard shaves and will quickly and thoroughly answer any of your questions.

E3. But Gillette and Shick must know their stuff
A3. They do, but they also know how to market and advertise so that people will spend the most and make them the most profit. They want you to think the lastest and greatest shaver that costs $15 for a 4 pack of refills. It ends up costing you more and costing the environment more (think of all the plastic packaging and product you throw out along with transport costs). They must make a mint, especially when Gillette can still make (respectable at that) blades and sell them for mere cents a piece.

E4. How can 1 blade do a better job then my 3/5/11 blade razor?
A4. Well the first part of this has got to do with the shaving cream/prep. The shaving foam that your most likely using comes from an aerosol that drys out the mix. So they include plenty of synthetic lubricants that can cause nasty reactions. Using a brush and lathering up a nice cream smells good, is more natural, provides a more slick cushiony shaving surface, exfoliates and properly hydrates your hair.

The second part has to do with the razor itself. Mach3 cartridges, use the first blade to lift and pull the hair while the next 2 cut. This cuts well below the skin surface contributing to ingrown hairs. To get a reasonable shave you have to use pressure against the face causing irritation. Furthermore the blade package is designed for the average person. DE shaving allows you to alter blades (sharpness, smoothness etc) and razors (aggressiveness, size etc) and technique (angle, pressure etc) to that which suits you.
DE shaving involves using bare minimal pressure over a few shaves to perform shave reduction rather then elimination.

E5. Ill cut myself alot with an exposed blade
A5. Sure you will have a few nicks along the way. But they are generally small, and dealt with easily. Taking your time, using a bloody sharp blade, miniscule amounts of pressure and a rich, creamy lather reduces the chance alot. I am getting on average one or two tiny nicks or weepers that clear themselves up before I finish shaving.

E6. It takes too long
A6. Im not going to lie. My first couple of shaves were probably close to 45minutes each. I was being careful, having to unlearn bad habits from disposable razor shaving and learn new habits and control.
Now after a few weeks of shaving I can find myself shaving in 20minutes and mantic shows that he can shave in 10 minutes which is approaching my shave time with a disposable. But my shaves are now fun, cleaner and with less irritation.

--------

Here are my Weapons of Mass Defoliation

Click to view full size!

• Taylors of Old Bond Street shaving cream
  • Merkur HD razor
  • Vulfix Super Badger shaving brush
  • Derby blades
  • Kells pre shave soap (currently trailing)
  • Styptic Pencil (from disposable shaving days) - Stops bleeders in seconds
  • Witch Hazel - A good skin cleaner/toner applied between shaving and applying aftershave balm
  • *MISSING* Nivea aftershave balm

All up I estimate, this costs me about 20c - 25c a shave compared to an estimated $1 a shave mach3's and canned foam.

My Current Shaving Routine
  1. Fill shave cup with hot water and plus brush in it to soak
  2. Have a shower and wash face/neck with Kells soap
  3. Dry myself except face and neck
  4. Empty cup, flick out most of water in brush
  5. Dab brush in shave cream
  6. Mix lather in cup
  7. Fill sink with a couple of inches of hot water, place cup in sink to keep lather warm
  8. Brush lather onto face
  9. Shave down my face except for bottom of neck where I shave up
  10. Lather and repeat previous shave pattern
  11. Lather then shave in towards my mouth on face and from my chin to my shoulders on my neck
  12. Rinse face with hot water
  13. Apply Witch Hazel
  14. Rince face with cold water
  15. Apply styptic if needed
  16. Clean up
  17. Apply after shave balm
This seems like a lot but I get this done from start to finish in about 25 minutes at the moment and I am still learning.

Please not this is my CURRENT routine. This can and will shave as I learn what works for me.

You experience/routine/time taken/products that work may vary but I can almost guarantee you wont go back

Last edited:
If that whole thing in your OP is what you have posted elsewhere, tl;dr is likely to be the response that will be garnered the most. If it is the part before the ---------------------------, it looks good. At any rate, spreading the good word is never a bad thing.

I think the content is good, but it is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too long and detailed.

I would suggest starting off with a very short post that is less evangelical, and then add the other stuff as people respond to it. Make it more of a conversation than a sermon.

I'd also not include the links to shaving videos. I think many people (including myself) find it hard to watch another man shaving. It's better imagined than viewed in some cases.

I wouldn't even mention the potential "pushbacks" in your posting. Let others pose the questions, and then answer them one by one. This helps establish you as a "guru." In any case, chances are high that there are many others on the forums that are also doing DE shaving, so they'll support your arguments.

Costs: I would try to accentuate making this as cheap as possible. Personally, I think $70 for a starter razor is quite expensive, and that would have put me off. My initial investment in DE was $50: Around $25 for a new Parker 22 butterfly (that came with 10 7 a.m. blades, which are excellent start blades), $15 for a no-name but quite effective boar's hedge brush, $5 for Walmart shaving soap and 3 for a plastic brush hanger. I used this combination quite effectively for more than six months, until DAS and the folks here at BB decided to upgrade to vintage adjustables and better quality soaps. Still use the nondescript brush and it works just fine.

Jeff in Boston

My only suggestion would be that's too much info in one hit - it makes the whole process look complicated. Sell the steaks sizzle, don't describe the process of beef farming. :smile:

Funnily enough, this came up a work today. I'd mentioned a while back that I was getting a DE and going old school. My workmate has just found out his GF is pregnant, so now his disposable income is now pretty much disposed of.

He asked me if it was worth shelling out for a razor and brush etc. I told him to harden up, stop being a girly-man now he's going to be a father (he models part time) and go and get some real tools to get the job done properly.

And he hates shaving. I asked him if he'd like to try something that might help him enjoy it.

He's thinking about it.

...My workmate has just found out his GF is pregnant, so now his disposable income is now pretty much disposed of.

He asked me if it was worth shelling out for a razor and brush etc. I told him to harden up, stop being a girly-man now he's going to be a father (he models part time) and go and get some real tools to get the job done properly.

He's thinking about it.

Oh, yes. First-time fathering is the best time to start DE: When you're a zombie living on two hours of sleep, have about five minutes a day to do something for yourself between feedings/changings/colic, and are in a constant state of tension and frayed nerves. I'd send your friend a huge supply of syptic(sp) pencils.

Oh, yes. First-time fathering is the best time to start DE: When you're a zombie living on two hours of sleep, have about five minutes a day to do something for yourself between feedings/changings/colic, and are in a constant state of tension and frayed nerves. I'd send your friend a huge supply of syptic(sp) pencils.
I'm not that sadistic. He's got 7 months to practice. :smile:

Top Bottom