What's new

Sport coat with patterned shirts?

I've been wanting to add a sport coat or two to my wardrobe but I'm not sure where to start. Most of my favorite button-down shirts tend to be bold plaid patterns, usually in fairly assertive jewel tone colors. I'd like to be able to pair these with my sport coats. My pants tend to be either dark blue denim, khaki trousers, or black trousers. What types of sport coats would y'all recommend to pair with these other objects?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Navy blazer (with dark buttons, not the shiny brass ones.) Grey could also work.

Or go brown for something a bit more "out there".

proxy.php

Solid colored sport coats should go well with a lot of different types of shirts. I have one gray and one charcoal. Or if the coat has patterns make sure it's very subtle or neat. I also have a navy blazer, which is great with khaki or gray pants. And a black blazer that doesn't really go with much. It's more of an evening social event jacket, I guess. The other colors are better for business.

There are color wheels online about how to best match/contrast the colors between your coat, shirt, tie, and pants. The sport coat and pants should be different colors. So khaki goes well with dark coats. Navy might go well with gray coat.

If you're thin, try J crew or suit supply. If you're more "American-sized" like me, try Jos A bank / Men's wearhouse. Alterations are great. A good tailor can make you look fantastic no matter what your body type. If you have your measurements, there are even companies that will custom tailor coats for you in whatever materials and patterns you want.

I've given up on Macy's and other dept stores but that's just my opinion. They never fit me well and the quality is very spotty.

Top Bottom