What's new

Special shampoo/conditioner for beards. What's the deal?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
As the title suggests....what's the deal with the specially branded shampoo & conditioner for beards?

I was browsing WCS and they have a whole lot of this stuff.

But is it any different than regular shampoo and conditioner for the hair on the top of your head?

If it's different....what makes it different?

I've always used the same stuff I use on the top of my head.

Never considered a specific beard shampoo or conditioner.

Should I?

Thank you for asking this Jason, I was wondering the same thing this morning as I was showering and and washing my beard with Mane and Tail....

I look forward to the responses...

Well, lets break it down with a bit of logic. I'm not an expert or dermatologist and such, but thinking on it... the hairs that grow in a beard are different than the hairs on your head. I'm not positive on the skin being different, but I'd guess it is a little as well. I can see effort being put into a soap formula made to address those differences, and try to better soften the beard hairs, since it could easily need different treatment than the hair on ones head.

I don't have anything to offer, but have always wondered why men bald on their heads but not on their face.

Even science hasn't fully explained that one yet, in many cases, it seems. It depends on what is causing the baldness as to whether facial hair is also affected.

From what I've heard the shampoo and conditioner made for beards are milder and more moisturizing than the regular stuff. This is important because facial hair and skin is drier than the hair and scalp of your head.

Following this logic; using a regular shampoo and conditioner would dry out your beard and skin.

By my own experience, with a very curly beard, it helped soften and straighten it out. It should not be used every day though, no more than a couple of times a week.

Top Bottom