What's new

SOTD- sheng of the day

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I don't recall reading any of your comments regarding this tea prior to tasting it, and I'm relieved to find I'm not alone. I was worried for a minute.

(essence de camion???)

More like essence de Camry. :001_rolle

They say the very best old shengs were brutal in their youth. I wouldn't chuck this, or anything else. Stick it away for a few years and see. Can't hurt.

2005 Hailanghao "Motian Yinhao" - a buddy pu'er, with correspondingly floral characteristics, but with a surprising amount of complexity. Good stuff.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

I'm having my first shengpu today. It is the 2003 HK Henry 7542 from the MengHai. I brewed it in a 120ml lided cup with off boiling water. Two short rinses and an infusion time of about 5 seconds. Thus far I really enjoy it. Slightly acidic, a little dry, tasts a little like cider. The feel in my mouth after I drink some is similar to the feel after a sip of good full bodied red wine, perhaps a Cabernet.

Wow that stuff is really compacted. I just checked the brewing cup and it is about half full of leaves that will expand a little more with the next few infusions. Did I use too much tea?

A good tea to start out with!

You may have used too many leaves, but if it didn't taste too bitter perhaps you got it spot on. Here's my quantity of HK Henry from an article written this time last year:

proxy.php

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

ouch

After yesterday's debacle, I had this conversation today:

Mr. O: Honey, can you come down here and taste this?
Mrs. O: It's terrible.
Mr. O: You didn't even taste it.
Mrs. O: Every time you tell me to come and taste something it's terrible.
Mr. O: Please?
Mrs. O: No. Not again.
Mr. O. (to himself): Heh heh heh. More for me.

'08 De Hong brick. Very nice, enjoyed in peace and quiet. I could drink this one daily.

I don't find it too bitter, but I do have a taste for bitter things. :001_smile
There are definately some smokey, tobacco notes to it. To me it smells slightly like a light latakia blend pipe tobacco. Dang it, now I'm craving some GLP Blackpoint or Kensington!

I think I can officially be listed as a pu'erh convert.

After yesterday's debacle, I had this conversation today:

Mr. O: Honey, can you come down here and taste this?
Mrs. O: It's terrible.
Mr. O: You didn't even taste it.
Mrs. O: Every time you tell me to come and taste something it's terrible.
Mr. O: Please?
Mrs. O: No. Not again.
Mr. O. (to himself): Heh heh heh. More for me.

'08 De Hong brick. Very nice, enjoyed in peace and quiet. I could drink this one daily.

Yup - this has quickly become my "go-to" tea for work and there are several bricks in my future.

I'm playing with the CNNP - I jacked up the leaf volume and shortened my brew times and guess what...

Nuthin' still bitter and nasty with an even stronger exhaust/smoke note and some chemically aftertaste. At this strength, it makes my mouth water quite a bit - which is another strike against in my books.

I'll persevere with this session, but this is going to the back of my shelf for at least another year.

6 a.m. and Yongde "Mangfei". About $20 from Yunnan Sourcing - plantation tea, but fruity and interesting. Bright and fresh, this is a good, clean start to the day.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

2003 HK Henry 7542 again. I brewed it in a 120ml lided cup with off boiling water. Two short rinses and an infusion time of about 10 seconds.

Want a B&B Tea forum? If you guys commit to post in it and populate it, consider it done.

I for one can commit to posting in it yes. I bet the rest of the tea fans will do the same

What about a Tea and Coffee Forum? It might be easier to populate.

You fellas wanted it - you fellas got it - "The Brewhouse" :smile:

Like the meeting of Smith and Wesson! :lol:

ouch

O: I'll take pu'er for 600, Alex.
AT: Yiwu bamboo wrapped.
O: What is a gimmick?
AT: Sorry, no.

Have a marginal/inferior product you need to unload? Why, just come up with an unconventional presentation, and watch it fly off the shelves. The rubes will line up to buy your pu'er if it contains an embedded GPS chip, is emblazened with the likeness of Chairman Mao, or shaped like a phallus (Don't laugh- just wait. If you've had the Xiaguan mushroom, you know they're halfway there. :001_rolle)

So when I received a generous sample of this rolled and wrapped pu'er from Chris, I was tempted to light it and treat it like a Cohiba. Even a personal recommendation from Scott at YSLLC could not assuage my suspicion. The verdict? Not bad at all. The flavors were all correct, if not pronounced, and it was an enjoyable tea that I would drink regularly. Quite surprising.

from puerhshop.com. 7g in 100mL Yixing. Very orange, fiercely bitter, lots of black pepper tastes. Overall, yuck. No sweetness to balance the other elements. One to avoid, IMO.

O: I'll take pu'er for 600, Alex.
AT: Yiwu bamboo wrapped.
O: What is a gimmick?
AT: Sorry, no.

Have a marginal/inferior product you need to unload? Why, just come up with an unconventional presentation, and watch it fly off the shelves. The rubes will line up to buy your pu'er if it contains an embedded GPS chip, is emblazened with the likeness of Chairman Mao, or shaped like a phallus (Don't laugh- just wait. If you've had the Xiaguan mushroom, you know they're halfway there. :001_rolle)

So when I received a generous sample of this rolled and wrapped pu'er from Chris, I was tempted to light it and treat it like a Cohiba. Even a personal recommendation from Scott at YSLLC could not assuage my suspicion. The verdict? Not bad at all. The flavors were all correct, if not pronounced, and it was an enjoyable tea that I would drink regularly. Quite surprising.

Actually, its not bamboo wrapped, its actually packed into green bamboo stalks and then very lightly stoved. Upon examination, the leaves are of good quality and are slightly darker than a "typical" sheng'pu.

It brews a copper-coloured brew that I find has some nice sweetness, some citrusy notes (to me, when I take a big huff of the unbrewed tea, it reminds me of sweetened ice tea) and very little bitterness. While I agree that this is in no way a complex tea, it is an easy drinking tea that is perfect for work or when you want a nice cuppa. I'll likely order some more of this as a good everyday/work tea and very reasonably priced $12 for 250g or $20 for 500g.

This and the 2008 Dehong from YS are what I think would be (given my very limited experience) good "beginner" pu'erhs.

from puerhshop.com. 7g in 100mL Yixing. Very orange, fiercely bitter, lots of black pepper tastes. Overall, yuck. No sweetness to balance the other elements. One to avoid, IMO.

I think I have this by mistake - Skip4tea sent me a modern (probably 2003, looking at their inventory) yellow-mark CNNP as a replacement for a missing 2000 cake. I haven't tried it yet, but am expecting brutality.

I wonder if it calms down with less leaves used?

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

This used to be the pseudonym that all Menghai bingcha and Xiaguan tuocha was produced under during the era of the planned economy (when all factories just supplied the state, which then wrapped them in CNNP wrappers and sold them on to Guangzhou). Since the economic liberation in the late 20th century, factories are of course now allowed to sell under their own labels. CNNP became redundant, and so has become its own company (though owned by the state).

Modern CNNP is usually synonymous with brutal, agonising tea that is as rough as your [adjective][noun].

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Top Bottom