Thayer's / Peppermint blend witch hazel
CARs Peppermint Moisturizer

Geo F Trumper Bay Rum Cologne

madmedic said:
Hi Andrew

SCS Shave CREAM?????

Haven't seen that one on Sue's site?

Brian

Brian, this is a beta shave cream. It will be offered sometime in July. I will give it a few more tries before I review it.

Shower:
NB sig scent soap
Aveda Rosemary & Mint shampoo

Shave:
PJ3 Super
Vision with Derby day 3
Taylors avocado SC
Thayers WH
Proraso pre/post
Taylors #74 limes cologne

Merkur Slant Bar with Wilkinson Blade
Kent BK4
Real Shaving Co. Sensitive Shave Cream
Witch Hazel
Real Shaving Co. Post shave moisturiser
Trumper's GFT COlogne

Dorko 8/8 Straight Razor
Shavemac SMF1 Brush

Mama Bear's Dragon's Blood Shaving Cream

Didn't need cologne: the shaving cream's fragrance is intoxicating!

Superior Brushes 25mm Super
Taylor Rose Cream
Merkur Futur
Feather Blade, day 1
Nancy Boy Cooling A/S

Another wretched shave today, a thoroughly miserable experience. Like yesterday everything seemed to be in place for a great shave, but something went wrong somewhere. The Superior (which hasn't lost a single hair yet, BTW) whipped up a great lather with the Taylor Rose and my Futur was loaded with a new Feather. However, I couldn't get the razor to glide, it kept stuttering on my skin and after three passes my face felt so sore and beaten up that I just gave in (apologies to anyone who is offended by my lack of commitment.) Obviously my karma is seriously out of balance!

Merkur Vision w/ Isreali no-name Blades
Vision Silvertip Brush
Trumpers Violet Cream
Alum Block
Trumpers Coral Skin Food

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Rik said:
Dorko 8/8 Straight Razor
Shavemac SMF1 Brush

Mama Bear's Dragon's Blood Shaving Cream

Didn't need cologne: the shaving cream's fragrance is intoxicating!

Rik,

Forgive me for nit picking, but do you really mean shaving cream from MB? I thought she only made soaps?

AJS said:
Superior Brushes 25mm Super
Taylor Rose Cream
Merkur Futur
Feather Blade, day 1
Nancy Boy Cooling A/S

Another wretched shave today, a thoroughly miserable experience. Like yesterday everything seemed to be in place for a great shave, but something went wrong somewhere. The Superior (which hasn't lost a single hair yet, BTW) whipped up a great lather with the Taylor Rose and my Futur was loaded with a new Feather. However, I couldn't get the razor to glide, it kept stuttering on my skin and after three passes my face felt so sore and beaten up that I just gave in (apologies to anyone who is offended by my lack of commitment.) Obviously my karma is seriously out of balance!

AJS,
Make sure you have enough water in your lather. When I started wetshaving, I didn't and the razor skipped. I have since started using Ron's technique of soaking the brush in hot water, lifting it out and letting it drain (no shaking out of water), then lathering away in the bowl with the cream. This initially seemed like it would deliver too much water, but with some determination and a few extra swirls in the bowl has delivered much better lather. That said, if the lather never comes up, you may twirl the brush slowly and get a little bit more water out before lathering away...depends on how much water the brush holds and how much cream you are using (I recommend the dip and twist method of brush loading).

Shower:
NB sig scent soap--almost gone--wow does this stuff last!
Neutrogena dandruff shampoo

Shave:
PJ3 Super
Schick disposable--egads!
Taylors avocado SC
Thayers WH
Nivea sensitive ASB
Kiehls original musk cologne

In an effort to break a string of decent--but not acceptable shaves (I'm with you on the bad karma, AJS!)--I broke out an old Schick disposable razor this morning to see what would happen. I figured I could be a bit more aggressive with the Schick than with my Vision, and maybe that would clear up my "trouble spot"--the lower lip area.

The result? My face felt smooth to the touch immediately after the shave--perhaps thanks to the Taylors avocado?!?--but after my aftershave was absorbed I could feel the familiar tell-tale traces of stubble beneath my lower lip.

Any advice out there for me? If I can't solve this problem, I may be forced to resort to re-growing my old goatee!:wink:

Personna Injector w/ Schick Twin Blade
Vulfix 2235
Nancy Boy Shave Cream
Thayers Rose WH
Floris Santal ASB
Creed Green Irish Tweed EDT

mrob said:
Shower:
NB sig scent soap--almost gone--wow does this stuff last!
Neutrogena dandruff shampoo

Shave:
PJ3 Super
Schick disposable--egads!
Taylors avocado SC
Thayers WH
Nivea sensitive ASB
Kiehls original musk cologne

In an effort to break a string of decent--but not acceptable shaves (I'm with you on the bad karma, AJS!)--I broke out an old Schick disposable razor this morning to see what would happen. I figured I could be a bit more aggressive with the Schick than with my Vision, and maybe that would clear up my "trouble spot"--the lower lip area.

The result? My face felt smooth to the touch immediately after the shave--perhaps thanks to the Taylors avocado?!?--but after my aftershave was absorbed I could feel the familiar tell-tale traces of stubble beneath my lower lip.

Any advice out there for me? If I can't solve this problem, I may be forced to resort to re-growing my old goatee!:wink:
The lower lip, specifically the soul patch region, was a problem of mine for a long time. I don't know that I can verbally explain the technique breakthru that has worked for me, but I'll give it a shot. I have performed this technique with a Gillette Adj., Merkur HD, Merkur Slant Bar, and Merkur Progress but never with a Futur or Vision.

I press the top of the razor into my face with some legit pressure while the handle remains at a true 90 degrees from my face. Then I make a S-N pass with a small scooping motion (this is my final pass after the area has already been reduced). This should REALLY stretch the skin and force those little jerks to stand up so you can cut them down. This is the only way that I can trim this area smooth without irritation.

Another idea that I just had and will try tomorrow (if I remember) is to fill this area up with air (the old blowing the cheeks out trick) and then taking a few swipes.

Merkur HD with Derby Extra
Shavemac Custom Silvertip
Musgo Real Shave Cream
Thayer's Original
Proraso Post
SCS Sandalwood EDT

Neutrogena Razor Defense Face Scrub
Pacific Shave Oil
Merkur HD-Derby Blade
SR-208
Taylors Rose
Thayers Rose Witch Hazel
Trumper Coral Skin Food
Faconnable EDT

Gillette 40's SS
Israeli blade
SR-204 brush
QED Anise/Lavender shave stick
Thayers rose witch hazel
Coral skin food

Kyle said:
The lower lip, specifically the soul patch region, was a problem of mine for a long time. I don't know that I can verbally explain the technique breakthru that has worked for me, but I'll give it a shot. I have performed this technique with a Gillette Adj., Merkur HD, Merkur Slant Bar, and Merkur Progress but never with a Futur or Vision.

I press the top of the razor into my face with some legit pressure while the handle remains at a true 90 degrees from my face. Then I make a S-N pass with a small scooping motion (this is my final pass after the area has already been reduced). This should REALLY stretch the skin and force those little jerks to stand up so you can cut them down. This is the only way that I can trim this area smooth without irritation.

Another idea that I just had and will try tomorrow (if I remember) is to fill this area up with air (the old blowing the cheeks out trick) and then taking a few swipes.

Thanks for the tips--I've tried similar techniques but will go back with a fresh approach and try your ideas tomorrow morning. As you can tell from my previous post, this problem is starting to bother me--probably way more than it should.:redface:

I never thought of myself as OCD, but wet shaving may be bringing this trait out of dormancy--terrific!:rolleyes:

Top Bottom