What's new

SOTD -Going Old School in NYC

Today I wanted to be a bit adventurous. No I didn't go outside during the Shelter in Place here in NYC. I decided to use a 100 year old Twinplex Stropper to strop a 100 plus year old King Gillette Green Three hole Blade and shave with an almost 100 year old vintage Darwin Standard. I stropped the blade about 50 times before placing it in my Darwin. To shave with, I use my special mixture of oils including virgin olive oil to aid in smoothness of shave. I'm not gonna lie, it was scary at first. The blade started to tug then settled in for an irritation free yet challenging shave. I took extra time shaving around my neck and carotid artery; I didn't feel like dying during Covid-19. Afterwards, I finished off the shave with my mixture of avocado oil, lavender oil, and a few others oils to calm the skin after a shave. All in all, it was a good not great shave. I enjoyed using such fine vintage equipment. I used the same shaving tools that my father, grandfather and great grandfather used. Interesting would be an understatement.

Attachments

• IMG_1043.jpeg
    IMG_1043.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1045.jpeg
    IMG_1045.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1048.jpeg
    IMG_1048.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1049.jpeg
    IMG_1049.jpeg