What's new

Some of my "Needful Things"...

Pics of some "needful" things I ran across...

The first pics are a razor given to me by a guy that deer hunts on our property. Item was free. I need to get some Brasso and work on the case now... From what I have seen on the net it's a 1920 traveling kit. I'm missing the blades that came with it.

proxy.php

1920 Gillette Travel kit.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

The 1960 (F-4) Gillette Fatboy (that I shaved with at setting 6, MARVELOUS!

proxy.php

a 1977 Gillette Adjustable 4th quarter. My son was born in November of 1977, so pretty much his age. I shaved with it tonight and used a Dollar General blade, costing $1.00 for package of 5, and on back, sticker says "Blades made in Israel".

proxy.php

Blades....

proxy.php

And, last but not least, the Schick adjustable. Now, only wish I had some blades....

proxy.php

proxy.php

Still feeling my face after that 2 pass shave with the 1977 razor and Israeli blade. Can't believe it!! Performed smooth, and clean and no razor burn or nicks. First pass on 6 and second pass on 7. Great shave!

I've also got about 3 Super Speed Gillettes I did not post pics of. They are also very nice razors. Kind of from "MY" era of growing up.

Some real nice razors you have there. I have a weakness for the old open combs. That gold one looks amazing. The plating appears to all be there. Nice! :thumbup:

I've been looking at old Gillettes, that travel razor is nice. I forsee a razor hunting trip this weekend. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Thanks IronHammer! It's not plated it's solid brass. It was mostly black when I got it.

10-4 on the drugstore.com. I have also been told that I might find them on ebay occassionally as NOS Schick Platinum Injectors, that would be very good blades.

I was emailed about them and looked. Haven't gotten them from there, but I do know they were $6.29 + shipping when I looked. Same blade (make/model) I found on ebay for $5.09 + 1.99 shipping or for a different looking package you can find them a bit less in a 4 pack. Not quite the same, but I would imagine not much different in shaves?? Wild *ss Guess here.

I was emailed about them and looked. Haven't gotten them from there, but I do know they were $6.29 + shipping when I looked. Same blade (make/model) I found on ebay for $5.09 + 1.99 shipping or for a different looking package you can find them a bit less in a 4 pack. Not quite the same, but I would imagine not much different in shaves?? Wild *ss Guess here.

Gibbs,

Try Hocks.com They have the Schick Injector blades 7/pk for $4.99. This is the best price I have found for Schick blades.

Thanks for the info on Hocks.com I went there and, sure enough they are $4.99 each. But, I look at the bottom line, cost plus shipping ($3.00) is now 7.99 for a box. This number at ebay 200607698151 gets you 4 packs for $22.50 with FREE shpping, meaning the price on each 7-pack is now only $5.62 vs $7.99 ($4.99 + 3.00 shipping). If you are after just 1 blade, then this number on ebay: 110701527935 where the 7- pack of Schick Injector blades are $5.09 + $1.99 shipping = $7.08 per pack (91 cents cheaper than Hocks.com). Last reference, if you purchase additional packages, each additional pkg is just .99 cents extra for shipping. So 4 pkgs (4 X 5.09)= 20.36 + 1.99, +2.97 (shipping for the 3 additional packages) = total price of 25.35 divide by 4 = 6.33 total cost, less than the $7.99 total investment from hocks.com.

I found it intersting that I can get Double Edge razor blades for pennies a piece and they have 2 sides for shaving (or dulling) vs the single side injector blades. Are they less prone to dulling down, ie you get 9 shaves from one blade compared to 4-5 shaves from DE?

Thanks for the info on Hocks.com I went there and, sure enough they are $4.99 each. But, I look at the bottom line, cost plus shipping ($3.00) is now 7.99 for a box. This number at ebay 200607698151 gets you 4 packs for $22.50 with FREE shpping, meaning the price on each 7-pack is now only $5.62 vs $7.99 ($4.99 + 3.00 shipping). If you are after just 1 blade, then this number on ebay: 110701527935 where the 7- pack of Schick Injector blades are $5.09 + $1.99 shipping = $7.08 per pack (91 cents cheaper than Hocks.com). Last reference, if you purchase additional packages, each additional pkg is just .99 cents extra for shipping. So 4 pkgs (4 X 5.09)= 20.36 + 1.99, +2.97 (shipping for the 3 additional packages) = total price of 25.35 divide by 4 = 6.33 total cost, less than the $7.99 total investment from hocks.com.

I found it intersting that I can get Double Edge razor blades for pennies a piece and they have 2 sides for shaving (or dulling) vs the single side injector blades. Are they less prone to dulling down, ie you get 9 shaves from one blade compared to 4-5 shaves from DE?

Guess I should have said other than ebay, Hocks is the cheapest I have found ! I usually order 4 packs at a time @ $4.99/ pack = $19.96 +$3.00 shipping = $22.96 or 82 cents per blade. I had rather pay the 2 cents more per blade than have to deal with ebay.
I believe this ebay listing comes out to 80 cents per blade (This number at ebay 200607698151 gets you 4 packs for $22.50 with FREE shpping).

Thanks for the info.

IME, injector blades do, in fact, hold an edge a lot better than a DE blade. I can easily get 6-8 shaves from an injector versus 3-4 from a DE blade.

Top Bottom