What's new

Some observations Tabac old/new pic heavy

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Final comparative shave with the original tallow Tabac today and then back to the new, non-tallow version on Thursday.
20210818_135751_2.jpg

Check out my Journal for additional shave notes and other musings:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Razor: Timeless Ti 0.68 SB (Timeless TRH6 Handle)
Blade: Kai (4)
Brush: Rudy Vey White Zebra Stripe (Shavemac 24mm D01 3-Band Silvertip Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Tabac (non-tallow)
Aftershave Balm: Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Bootlegger's Bay Rum
20210819_143648~2.jpg
Check out my Journal for original vs. new Tabac comparison, shave notes and other musings:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
20210820_134221_2.jpg

For those of you who really dislike the scent of the old tallow version, I don't think the new version is going to completely solve your problem.
I have samples of both (granted I am blinded as to which is which) and side-by-side the similarities in the scent profile far outnumber and overwhelm the differences, which makes sense if you think about it.
There are definitely subtle differences.... one is a bit brighter, maybe slightly more floral, and a bit less pungent than the other, but I think they both stink. I can't imagine liking one of them if I disliked the other. (My wife, on the other hand, thinks both samples have a 'pleasant' scent; perhaps this suggests that if you like the scent of the old one you are likely to enjoy the scent of the new one, as well?)

For those of you who really dislike the scent of the old tallow version, I don't think the new version is going to completely solve your problem...I can't imagine liking one of them if I disliked the other. (My wife, on the other hand, thinks both samples have a 'pleasant' scent; perhaps this suggests that if you like the scent of the old one you are likely to enjoy the scent of the new one, as well?)
The scent certainly creates some strong reactions for many people. My main objection was it was just too strong. I found letting the soap air out in a utility room for a few weeks reduced the scent strength quite a lot. Now, it reminds me of some of the soaps used in hotels years ago. Not a favorite, but not bad either.

I had the same strong reaction when I first got this soap, but I must admit, I made the same mistake like many people here. I just stuck my nose into the fresh soap. Holy...
I used a couple of sticks since and I like its scent, its lather scent that is. I like its post shave scent. Like many products used on skin, scent changes once in use. For a value soap, TABAC ORIGINAL is an excellent product. Or shall I say it was?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Also posted to my journal:

Regarding original, tallow Tabac vs. new, non-tallow Tabac:

In my opinion, the new non-tallow Tabac is a decent non-tallow soap. It is not, however, as good as the original tallow Tabac in the areas of lather density or slickness (initial or residual). Since only the non-tallow version is available, each one of us has to decide to either go unicorn hunting, migrate to the new version or accept that, moving forward, non-tallow Tabac may not be in the cards.

For me? I don't hunt unicorns. On occasion, I'll use my remaining puck of original Tabac until it's gone and that will be that.

Will I use the new, non-tallow Tabac? Sure. It probably won't break in to my favorite vegan/non-tallow category, but it's decent non-tallow soap that gets the job done.

How does the new, non-tallow Tabac compare to other non-tallow and vegan soaps? There are several (MdC, WSP Rustic, SV, Haslinger, to name a few) excellent non-tallow shaving soaps out there that I would rank ahead of the non-tallow Tabac.

Will I use the non-tallow Tabac again? Of course I will. It is a nice option to have and (occasionally) use.

This doesn't even count the number of good/excellent tallow soaps out there for us to use and enjoy.

Hope this helps..... :cool:

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Is the old Tabac base no longer available? The only Tabac I ever used was a shave cream in a tube, but the jar Tabac appears to be superior.

Is the old Tabac base no longer available? The only Tabac I ever used was a shave cream in a tube, but the jar Tabac appears to be superior.
The older formula solid soap is superior. Soap in the jar, shave sticks, puck refills and shave stick refills are all the same soap. The stick refill is the most economical. The jar is nice to have, though, if you enjoy using Tabac. A nice bit of Mid-Century nostalgia.

The old formula is still in stock at many stores, but it's being phased out. New Tabac soaps from M&W seem to be the non-tallow formula.

I'll start a Tallow Tabac Tuesday event...
I don't know if it's a thing, but I'll enjoy it.
All of you are invited to join me...

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
On a whim, I ordered the jar Tabac from Amazon and read the ingredients list before ordering...it showed tallow listed in the ingredients. It arrived today and it does have the tallowate in the ingredients list. Looking forward to trying this soap. It smells a bit nicer than the cream in a tube.

Top Bottom