What's new

Some observations Tabac old/new pic heavy

Even though I agree Arko August is an important event I still desperately urge you, for the betterment of mankind, please take a break and make a shave with the new Tabac.

I only have 2 pucks of Real Tabac in reserve and these threads about the new "Tabac" worries me. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Please, do I need to stock up or not?
That you have to take up with @FoolishMortal but @ewk already got a dispense to try the new version so the information is out there.

If you like the old version and have easy access to more pucks go for it. Even if you like the new version better someone will take the tallow ones off your hands.

Last edited:
I have a jar of Tabac I purchased a while back. I liked the actual lather itself, but always found the scent was too overwhelming first thing in the morning.

Open for comments and naturally you can tell me all about why my setup was totally wrong and what I missed to look out for 🤪
On the brushes I can’t see much difference but in the bowl the new version is clearly more foamy and less creamy
Great comparison! The photos tell the story

My only word of caution when interpreting direct side by side comparisons is that the conditions that would optimize lather with the real Tabac may not be the same conditions that optimize new Tabac.

I think keeping every variable the exact same except the soap itself really only establishes that the soaps are different, and can't necessarily speak to the relative performance quality of the two products. It's more subjective, but to me a more helpful approach would be for a bunch of us to really do our best to get the best out of each product and try to be as impartial as possible in relaying our findings. Treat it as you would any other new soap to the market.

My own early impressions of the new Tabac have been favourable, although it sounds like Dominic for example may have been unwittingly struggling with it for months and hasn't had the best results (if I read things correctly, he hasn't tried the tallow version though). Interestingly, we each came to opposite conclusions about the soap's slickness.

All this is to say: I think more input is needed from the community, although I am skeptical about some of the 'blinded' comparisons a few of us have planned.

The answer to the question "are the two soaps the same" is obvious: they're not -- they have completely different formulas, how could they be? The open question, for me anyways, is whether the new non-tallow version of Tabac is comparable in quality and worthy of a place amongst a broader field of other soaps offering very stiff competition.

Anyway, I'm off my soapbox now. Certainly interested in hearing everyone's thoughts.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Well... what can I say, I like to get to the bottom of things 😂

I've never been a fan of Tabac Original scent, but if this new release smells "clean and soapy" and provides good slickness, I might give it shot... just for fun.
These are EXACTLY my own thoughts, Sir!

I am a fan of the tallow Tabac scent. Having said that, the "vegan" Tabac does seen to have a cleaner and brighter scent. Still works with the Tabac AS.

Initial impression.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Razor: Blackland Razors Vector SB
Blade: Feather Professional AC Proguard (7 and retired)
Brush: Heritage Collection Ever-Ready 500E (Heritage Manchurian knot)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Tabac ("vegan")
Aftershave Balm: Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal
20210811_141850~2.jpg

Check out my Journal for shave notes and my impressions of the new "vegan" Tabac:
never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Thursday's Shave
Razor: Timeless Bronze .38 SB
Blade: Silver Star (5 and retired)
Brush: Rudy Vey Keyhole (Shavemac 24mm 2-Band Silvertip)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Tabac (non-tallow)
Aftershave Balm: Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Bootlegger's Bay Rum
20210812_225051~2.jpg

Check out my Journal for additional impressions of non-tallow Tabac, shave notes and other musings:
never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/

Top Bottom