What's new

some noob questions

I've got my grandfather's Parker 51 (my favorite), a Shaeffer (??), a Rotring, and just picked up a Platinum Preppy that I got with a bottle of Noodler's eyedropper ink, and converted to an eyedropper setup.

what I'm looking for, after a cursory scan through here, are some good research sources for replacing the nibs on some of these.

my Parker is a F and I love it. it stays as is. it could use a going through I'm sure, but I can keep it clean enough to run, in my limited knowledge.

I want to swap in an EF/F (M installed now) into the rest of them, and don't know how to do it (without breaking things), or where to pick up compatible nibs.

the Preppy pulls right out, easy enough. the others I don't want to break. so, suggestions for links to start the research?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Start the research here, hopefully you will be able to take some pics of the pens. It sounds like you need to find fine or extra fine nibs for the Sheaffer and the Rotring. Since there are many different models we'll need to be able to identify them. Can you get the images?

here are my pens. Ideally, I'd like to find EF nibs for the Rotring and Sheaffer.

$P1020569.jpg

$P1020573.jpg

$P1020571.jpg

strop

Now half as wise
You can get replacement nibs for the Hemisphere (probably will be a nib section unit) from the Waterman Repair Center. I don't have an url but the phone number is 1-800-bestpen (800-237-8736). I had to replace a cracked section on a Phileas. They only came as a nib/section combo. Took about 2 weeks to get it IIRC. $30 total ($24 + $6 S&H)

You can get replacement nibs for the Hemisphere (probably will be a nib section unit) from the Waterman Repair Center. I don't have an url but the phone number is 1-800-bestpen (800-237-8736). I had to replace a cracked section on a Phileas. They only came as a nib/section combo. Took about 2 weeks to get it IIRC. $30 total ($24 + $6 S&H)

I did the same with a Waterman Laureat ($50!). It only came as a nib/section unit, as well. It was a pen I had given my dad several years ago. It just cracked while he was taking the pen apart one day. The new one threads together much more smoothly than the original, but if it were my pen I wouldn't have likely bothered. Getting it fixed for him made for a nice Christmas present, though. He's difficult to shop for.

Anyway, they should be happy to quote you a price via email or over the phone. Mine was a 2 week turnaround too. Faster than I expected and great response/customer service throughout the process.

-Andy

strop

Now half as wise
Exactly my experience as well. The young lady on the phone was very knowledgeable and immediately knew what I was asking for. The whole process took a couple of minutes.

Top Bottom