What's new

Some interesting Gibbs razors

Gibbs in an English manufacturer of shaving supplies, dating back to the 18th century. But the only Gibbs razors that I have seen were made in France. The plant was located in Saint Denis, just north of the Paris city line. Saint Denis is famous for being the burial ground of French royalty, and is well worth visiting.

Gibbs razors are regularly cursed by collectors since they don’t accept modern blades (unless the ends are snipped off with scissors). The #15 adjustable models (in the background) are fairly common, but the rarer #16 deserves some attention. It is designated “à deux coupes”, i.e., “bi-cutting”.

proxy.php

proxy.php

The two sides of the head are marked plus and minus, and the close-up photo shows how the head cap differs in size and shape (plus is on the right). Also shown is an NOS Gibbs blade with its strategically-placed notches. I actually tried shaving with both sides of the razor, but gave up after the first couple of strokes – the NOS blade was simply too dull. Then I snipped the ends off a Feather, but didn’t like the way the blade was seating, so I abandoned the whole experiment.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I have a #15 if I read the post correctly.

Black handled adjustable. It's top heavy. The handle is hollow plastic. I haven't modified a blade successfully yet to try it. I came across some NOS blades, but don't believe I'll be trying them,

It's a fine looking razor with an excellent finish. I believe Personna had a branded version that accepted any blade.

I don't intend to keep mine. I'm more interested in functional artifacts. I usually divest myself of anything proprietary or that's in better than user grade condition. I somehow feel guilty using razors that are too pristine or unique..

I have never seen a british gibbs,I wonder if they actually manufactured de razors....the razors pictured are beauties....is it possible to use a heavy duty hole punch to alter a standard de blade to fit these ???

...is it possible to use a heavy duty hole punch to alter a standard de blade to fit these ???

I don't think so. The notch needs to have just the right size and position. Anything else could result in major facial damage. Snipping a blade is easy with ordinary scissors, however. When I tried it with another Gibbs razor, I got a decent shave, but too aggressive for me. Myy other quarrel with Gibbs razors is that most have plastic handles, which I don't like.

I have been collecting French DE razors recently. There is a bewildering multiplicty of brands, but only a handful of manufacturers. There are other models with the Gibbs head, and some of them take regular blades. I will soon post pictures of one such - very unusual - razor.

B

Bessa667

Bought on ebay this week a Gibbs Nr 16 with 25 new Gibbs Mince blades : 20 euros shipping charges included.

Very well made, heavy, good grip

'Double Coupe' system very usefull and accurate : use + side when going down, use - side when going up.

Perfect shaving experience (according to my taste)

More comfortable than my 'daily' Parker 91R.

Only drawback : uncommon blades with notches...

Cool post, Moshulu. Looks like with the one where you've photographed the inside of the head, the two tabs are the only thing holding the blade in place. Is that right? Do any of those Gibbs have heads that if you Dremel'd the tabs off the razor itself, they would still lock the blades in place?

Speaking of Gibbs Adjustables , I asked Bob at Bob's Razorworks could he make a longer bottom knob to make the razor longer. It's a very short stubby razor. So he worked his magic as he always does and came up with this design for it! Go Bob! It's longer now (not quite 4 inches. ) and very balance. Fluted knob is nickel plated! Also top cap was replated in nickel. All I do for blades is take a dremel tool and notch out the ends. Shaves better now! Nice Gibbs Razor Collection Moshulu!

Attachments

• $gibsrazorsredo.jpg
    $gibsrazorsredo.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:
Let's bump this thread up to today.
I have one on these but with a different plastic/bakelite handle.
Mine is the head with the notches in the topcap. My lovely wife brought home something new be absorbed into my empire of dirt. A very simple holepunch that makes a single hole. For making your own price tags. This thing cuts out a perfect half hole out of the tabs.
If you put it in the razor it just needs minor adjustments to be seated perfect.
Had a great shave with one and a Gillette Platinum yesterday.
Let me put it like this, the minus side is effective but very smooth and the plus side is quite a bit more blade forward. Not uncomfortable but you know you have to pay a bit more attention immediatly. Despite that it did a great job ATG.
Great razor, gonna use a stainless steel handle on it next time.

I really enjoy the Gibbs No. 17 adjustable. I bought one a few years ago from a member. He even made a custom longer handle in brass that is interchangeable with the original short plastic handle. Great shaver.

Top Bottom