What's new

Soaps you always come back to

I dug up an old puck of Tabac for a shave last night, probably for the first time in well over a year (I'd been giving a few of my newer soaps some dedicated attention recently). It was a welcome reminder of just how fantastic Tabac really is -- when lathered well, it stands up to pretty much any other soap in my den. The added bonus is I've developed a bit of nostalgic attachment to the scent. For me, it has a permanent place on a short list of soaps I will always keep on hand.

Anyway, I'm interested to hear which soaps fill that role for other folks. Tell me about those reliable favourites that may sometimes get neglected when exploring newer options but that you'll always come back to and enjoy.
I'm sure you probably know but just in case Tabacs gone vegan.:(

I'm sure you probably know but just in case Tabacs gone vegan.:(

Yes, I heard. Just picked up one more puck to have a spare on hand. A certain well-regarded vendor in Michigan confirmed for me they still have the tallow-based formula in stock (in case anyone else is looking).

Hopefully the vegan formula turns out to be excellent as well. Haslinger made a similar transition not too long ago and from what I hear people are very happy with the new formula.

What I wish Maurer & Wirtz had done instead though is take a page out of Cella's book and maintain the original as is but come out with a second vegan option in another scent (i.e. Cella's "Extra Extra Bio"). Tabac has a range of other fragrances under the label already (The Fragrances of the Brand Tabac – Mäurer & Wirtz - https://www.m-w.de/en/brands/tabac/, worth a look), they could have easily chosen one of these for the vegan option and left the original unchanged. Truthfully, I think this may have been the smarter business decision purely from the standpoint of overall sales -- the original scent is polarizing and turns off a fair number of potential customers who are otherwise intrigued by the performance of the soap -- not to mention that it would avoid the risk of alienating a very loyal existing customer base.

I haven’t used it in a quite awhile, but the data speaks for itself:

C1BBD3FB-7E0E-4B3F-BC4E-1D86A153A67F.jpeg

Tabac stick no.1,2,3
Speick stick no 4
La Toja stick no 5
Musgo Ach. Brito 6
LEA stick v2.0 no 7
Cella brick no 8
Vitos brick coco , tallow no 9
Mogno no. 10
ps. nu le voi termina niciodata! I have taken the necessary measures to never run out of stock!

The Fat is the only one that I stray from that I keep coming back to. I’ve found a couple of others that are just as slick, but they cost half again as much and don’t last nearly as long.

I don't think I've been in this game for long enough to claim there are any soaps in my den that "I always come back to".

As a matter of fact, I don't have a single puck/tub of soap I've ordered more than once (samples not counting), since I've started this hobby some 3 years ago.

That being said, I can foresee re-ordering SV and MdC at some point in a very distant future, as these pucks last "forever".

I use TOBS sticks (Sandalwood and St, James) for travel (and for fun) and love them both. IME, these don't last very long, so I'll be definitely re-ordering some of those guys soon.

As for soft-soaps/croaps, A&E and Stirling are my favorite brands, and so I can foresee myself getting more of those.

I'm enjoying my journey 😀

MWF, won't part with it, but won't use it regularly. I still come back to it though once in a while. Then put it away again.

Everything else is in the rotation.

Edited to add Arko as honourable mention.

Last edited:
Top Bottom