What's new

Soaps vs Creams

So I know they are two totally different things. Soaps being cheaper is one benefit I see. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of both?

People chime in on their personal favorite soaps and creams. I just ordered some proraso in the white tub to give a go at the soap realm.

I find that soap provides more slickness and protection. Some creams can match my soaps in that regard, but not very many.

I find that soap provides more slickness and protection. Some creams can match my soaps in that regard, but not very many.

+1 I too find that soaps are more slippery and compliment my more sensitive skin type when compared to creams. That's said, soaps generally take much more practice and tlc to whip up a nice lather.

Creams are probably easier to use as a beginner whereas soaps do take a little more time before they perform at their best. I like the simplicity of opening a puck of soap and using it each day until it is gone.

Creams are generally easier to lather. Soaps can be very frustrating if you don't have your loading technique down and get your water/soap ratio on point, but perform very well if you get it right. I like using both.

The best of my creams - Trumpers, Art of Shaving, Crabtree& Evelyn - are more slick. After rinsing one's face, one can still easily shave without applying more lather or cream. And those really slick creams don't work well with my mildest DE razors and some cartridge razors. I never get that effect from soaps. That said, soaps still work just as well on me.

Also, in my big collection, I've come across a few dud creams, but never a really dud soap (possible exception, Australian Palmolive Shave stick).
Regards,
Renato

I started using a particular soap and then tried one cream. The soap was more drying and didn't lather as well as the cream. Like someone said my soap lathering issue is probably due to my novice technique.

On the other hand, an Art of Shaving salesperson told me their soap is just the cream in a desiccated state so with those products, there should be no difference.

Tomato..tomahto
Ford..Chevy
Tastes great..Less filling

Most significant difference I see is that soap will last a lot longer as a rule. Really decent creams can be had for not a whole lot of $$$.
Specifically the Derby and Arko creams ($2.50 a tube is pretty reasonable). Creams can also be easier to lather up and will facilitate the use of a plush, soft, opulent brush (like the Vulfix 2235/2236) where such a brush might be more difficult to use with a soap, especially a hard variety.

In my experience, creams are easier to lather, but soaps tend to be slicker. Every now and then a cream comes along (QCS comes to mind) that is just the bee's knees. Soaps last longer as a rule. I find that creams moisturize my face better, almost too much, but every soap I have used has left my face feeling great, and not over-moisturized. Also, soaps travel better than creams; there is no risk of a soap bursting in the cargo hold or my carry-on, or leaking in the mail and ruining everything else in the box.

Split the difference: use a croap. Six of one; half dozen of the other.

I'm currently enjoying two new croaps from Ian S. Quite nice. Lavender (an unexpected freebie from his backstock) and Lavender & Orange. Nice slippery, protective lather that whips up easily plus a pleasant but not over-powering scent from both of them. Works for me.

Creams tend to be much easier to lather, while I seem to get more slickness from soaps.

TOBS creams along with Proraso and C.O. Bigelow are the only creams I have tried though, so my experience is limited.

I am currently more of a creamer than a soaper but this was not always the case. I started with creams than went almost completely over to soaps but have now drifted back to creams with only the occassional use of a soap. Creams to me are easier to lather up and provide a nice balance of cushion, glide and post shave feel. I get very good shaves from both but creams just have an edge that I am quite happy with at the moment.

Not necessarily.
When I am in a hurry or on travel I use creams.

Funny, I do the opposite. I keep my soap in a small container with a tight fitting screw-on lid and it worked great for travel. Just rinse it off when done and throw it in the dop kit.

Top Bottom