What's new

Soaps Suited to a Razor

We all know that some blades are better suited for some razors (e.g., a Feather will work well in one razor but less so in another). Curious if anyone else finds the same thing with shave soaps, that some soaps work better with some razors than others.

If a soap has a fair amount of slickness it doesn't matter which razor or decent blade I use. For example: Col. Conk & VDH Deluxe soaps work just fine for a DFS for me. They both have the cushion & just enough slickness to do the job.

If a soap has a fair amount of slickness it doesn't matter which razor or decent blade I use. For example: Col. Conk & VDH Deluxe soaps work just fine for a DFS for me. They both have the cushion & just enough slickness to do the job.

Thanks. Reason I ask: I pretty much use Vitos exclusively. For some reason Vitos does not seem to play well with my RR Wunderbar paired with an Astra; I definitely experience some irritation. Vitos works very well with all my other razors paired with an Astra (including my ATT with the H1 plate). I am thinking that it is a combination of the slickness of Vitos with the efficiency of the Wunderbar that causes too much exfoliation, and that I have a slight allergy to Vitos that doesn't manifest with other razors but does with the efficiency of the Wunderbar/Astra combination, especially on successive uses of Vitos with the Wunderbar. Btw, Wunderbar w/ Astra and Tabac (which I don't find to be as slick as Vitos, especially in terms of residual slickness) this morning was nothing short of Wunderbar.

I definitely experience different razors behaving differently with a soap. My PAA soaps are fantastic with my DEs, and I still get good performance with my straights, but with my hollow blades I tend to get weepers with PAA that I don't get using my other tallow soaps.

Most of the time it makes little difference to me. With one exception. An aggressive razor with a Feather. Much nicer to shave with using a top tier soap.

I personally don't buy it. I know a lot of people will use a certain type of soap for use with a certain razor (especially cited for straight razors)..... but for me soap is soap. When you find one that works well for you, it shouldn't matter what tool you use to scrape it off your face.

In my experience, certain razors glide better than others. Same goes for soaps and creams, so for sure some combinations will work better than others. Never really bother matching them on purpose myself, but have noticed the difference using the same soap with different razors (currently have one cream that doesn't glide as well as what I'd like, works OK with one razor, but noticeably "stickier" with another).

Matching soap to razor, it shouldn't make any difference. Soap to brush is another matter. For me, harder soaps appear to load better with a brush with more backbone.

I'm dubious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think I am with you, and that my new discomfort with Vitos is coincidental with my new razor. Yesterday was tabac with my RR Wunderbar and all was great. So today I broke out my ATT and went back to Vitos to test my theory. Ouch, it really burned. I must be developing an allergy to it. I'll probably go back in a few weeks; Cella used to do the same thing but when I use it only once or twice a week it seems fine.

I think I am with you, and that my new discomfort with Vitos is coincidental with my new razor. Yesterday was tabac with my RR Wunderbar and all was great. So today I broke out my ATT and went back to Vitos to test my theory. Ouch, it really burned. I must be developing an allergy to it. I'll probably go back in a few weeks; Cella used to do the same thing but when I use it only once or twice a week it seems fine.

I have soap acquisition disorder pretty bad and have NEVER used the same soap twice in one week much less days in a row.

I have soap acquisition disorder pretty bad and have NEVER used the same soap twice in one week much less days in a row.

I am more a creature of habit, but I will have to rethink this. Your SAD may also be a good way to avoid developing sensitivities. Another excuse if SWMBO starts questioning acquisitions!

A thicker lather might pair better with an open comb because it would rinse off more easily. Otherwise, I don't really think of pairing certain soaps with certain razors. I rotate and use whatever I'm in the mood for on a certain day.

I just try to find the best soaps that I can and that's what I use. Same deal with razors and I'll pair those up with certain blades since I've noticed a difference there.

As far as pairing a soap up with a particular razor goes I don't really do that. I've paired up a soap with an aftershave or with a cologne but that's pretty much the extent of it.

That hasn't been my experience. My best performing soaps (Stirling, Mikes, Proraso, Arko) work well with all razors.

Some razors have don't contribute as much friction as other razors do during shaves. That's my experience. So, the total slickness during the shave can be the same for some razors with less slick lathers versus other razors with more slick lathers. You might be able to make a thicker, drier lather for a razor and enjoy that, but not be able to comfortably use the same lather with another razor.

Top Bottom