What's new

Soaps/Creams there are so many?

Hi Guys from a wet and windy UK.

Since taking up wet shaving with a brush and soaps/creams and joining the illustrious society of B&B I find myself noticing more shaving items when shopping these days.

For instance whilst out and about yesterday I saw shaving soaps from:

Kent
GFT
Woods of Windsor
Bronnley
Floris
Erasmis
Wilkinson Sword
Cade
C&E
Roger & Gallet
L'Octanne

Is it just me or are more and more products coming on the market? I also noticed that my local independent pharmacist has started stocking Gillette DE blades instead of just Wilkinson Sword blades.

Are more and more people switching over to traditional wet shaving or is it just me noticing products more or are manufacturers producing more of the traditional stuff? :001_unsur

Kind regards
NIGEL

And this would be a problem for you because???

(Just kidding!) How lucky you are. Still, over here on "our" side of the pond, while there are comparitively many, as well-- it's surprising how LITTLE variety there are when one compares the world of shaving soaps to the world of "hand" or "bath" soaps...

I'm with you on all of this-- for years I managed to eke my way along on whatever I could find from Walgreens, Walmart-- usually Williams or Burma Shave, (which I can get a decent lather from in my sleep after 20+ years of use) and Gillette, Personna, Wilkinson or "house brand" blades that would be hanging in dusty corners of the shop.

We can make a difference! It's encouraging to see the growth and understanding in the industry, and it was TERRIBLY good to meet so many folks of like mind when I stumbled upon B&B last summer.

Tom

Nigel,

There has been a significant increase in shaving products over the past 3 years or so. You are however very fortunate there in the UK being able to run across those products when you are out shopping. I have to get all of my shaving stuff online.

Dallas, Texas is not the "Shaving Mecca"

Paul.

Hmmm...did you start this to make us all jealous? :wink:

I agree that there has been an increase in recent years, but I think you are just lucky to be in the UK and have all that available. You may, I stress may, be just noticing it more now also.

To end off.....ENJOY. You are where most of us dream of being. :thumbup: :biggrin:

For a western country, Australia can sometimes be a retail backwater. But, in recent months, the number of products available here has definitely increased. T&H, TOBs (well, at least in Perth I'm told) and Provence Sante are three brands that jump to mind. I've even noticed that the chain of Shavershops, which seemed to sell mostly electric shavers, and the usual spray and wipe goo and cartridges, now offer a selection of brushes and have increased their ranges of soaps and creams.

Who knows, maybe we are at the pointy-end of the revolution.

Cheers

Jeremy

By the way Izzy, you may be comforted to know that it's wet and windy here too. And this is supposed to be summer!

My daughter and my ex have just flown to Rockhampton in Australia for 5 weeks so I hope its not too bad for them! My daughter text me this morning at 1am saying they had arrived and it was too hot!

I agree with some of the previous posters; enjoy the variety. It's far more difficult here to get past the "aerosol nation".

Dallas, Texas is not the "Shaving Mecca"

Try living in Tuscaloosa, AL. The only stuff you will find is what is available at drug stores (and not much at that). I, like many in the US, get all my stuff on-line. I would love to be able to get out and spend a "hands-on" day shopping for good shaving products.

There is surely an increase in available products. I have been wet shaving for many years. My father taught me to use a brush and I have always used one. I remember he used Palmolive in a red tube. I had not seen it in many years until recently I traveled to Jordan for work and found Palmolive Red, Green and Blue in tubes. The man in the pharmacy said they have always had it. Maybe it just disappeared in the US. Over the years I used what ever puck soap was available and creating a super lather by adding gel. I guess in the last six months to a year I have seen an explosion in tube style creams. I guess wet shaving with a brush is coming back. IT'S ABOUT TIME.

Top Bottom