What's new

Soap vs Cream

I recently started wet shaving with a DE and brush and have been reading through this forum (because of the wealth of knowledge) and currently use Taylor of Old Bond Street cream. My question(s) then is: What's the major difference between soap and cream? Why do people use one over the other?

Kyle

tam.audio said:
I recently started wet shaving with a DE and brush and have been reading through this forum (because of the wealth of knowledge) and currently use Taylor of Old Bond Street cream. My question(s) then is: What's the major difference between soap and cream? Why do people use one over the other?

Kyle
Welcome to B&B, and what a great friggin' name!

Creams tend to lather more easily and will produce a more moisturizing lather. Soaps typically require a little more work, but usually provide a somewhat closer shave.

Some gents will base the choice on time of year (soaps in the summer & creams in the winter). They do this, operating under the logic that in winter (air is dryer) they will want a more moisturizing lather to keep their skin from drying out.

For me personally, it is more of a matter of mood and/or availability of certain scents in one format or the other.

I use and enjoy both. Variety is the spice of life, after all. They will produce slightly different lathers, though. Best to play around and see what suits you.

Until I came to the forums I was a died in the wool soaper. None of that greasy kids stuff for me. Now I probably have almost as many creams as soaps.

From a relative n00b's point of view I have to agree that creams most definitely appear easier to lather.

To date I have only tried one soap, some 'Porter's Lemon & Witch Hazel' that came with my badger brush and mug set. To say it's sh*t would be an understatement! :frown:

I will probably try another soap from a more reputable line to see if I fare any better, however I am thus far firmly in the Cream camp. (oo-er, that sounds kind of rude now that I've read it back!:biggrin: )

Also, correct me if I'm wrong gentlemen, but you will almost surely have better success at getting good lather from a soap if it has glycerin in it. Methinks that was probably the issue with my aforementioned soap, no glycerin.

woodbane said:
From a relative n00b's point of view I have to agree that creams most definitely appear easier to lather.

To date I have only tried one soap, some 'Porter's Lemon & Witch Hazel' that came with my badger brush and mug set. To say it's sh*t would be an understatement! :frown:

I will probably try another soap from a more reputable line to see if I fare any better, however I am thus far firmly in the Cream camp. (oo-er, that sounds kind of rude now that I've read it back!:biggrin: )

Also, correct me if I'm wrong gentlemen, but you will almost surely have better success at getting good lather from a soap if it has glycerin in it. Methinks that was probably the issue with my aforementioned soap, no glycerin.
Correctomundo! Without glycerine there is no joy...

Ron, I'm going to have to nickname you:

Ron "he who gets in a reply to Andy's musings within 5 minutes" lathermeister!:biggrin:

Top Bottom